When a minute feels like an eternity
Have you ever have those experiences when just a few short minutes feels like FOREVER?! Well, we had a few of those minutes last night.
We put little Tay down after eating at about midnight and she was struggling a little bit for about an hour, just periodically gagging and coughing a bit. But she seemed like she was ok if we gave her a pat on the back and sat her up. I couldn't sleep due to her every noise -- still getting familiar with HER noises. I was just starting to tell myself to stop being such a worry wart and get some sleep when I heard a tiny little gag noise from Taylor, not much different from the other sounds she had been making all night. For some reason, that I now know was a total prompting, I happened to sit up and look over into her bassinett. All I could see in the dark was her back totally arched, head back as far as it could go. I jumped out of bed to grab her, yelled at Chris to turn on the lights, and when he did, we saw that Tay was completely blue and not breathing at all. Scariest, saddest thing I think I have ever seen. So, Chris grabbed her and started trying to do everything to clear her airways and get her breathing again, but nothing was working. I got on the phone with 9-1-1 and got them on their way over, still trying to get Tay breathing. Finally, as the first responder knocked on the door, we heard the most welcomed sound in the world -- Tay's cry. She took some big gulps of air and just started wailing, which is exactly what we wanted to hear. Her color started to return and then she just became so lethargic, probably from all the energy she was trying to use getting her breath, that as they poked her and prodded her, she almost fell asleep. Poor, poor thing. They monitored her for a few minutes and everything checked out totally fine, thank goodness. We were able to clear a bunch of mucus out of her nose while she was not breathing, so we are assuming that was what the problem was. Still, the paramedics told us we should take her into the E.R. and get a chest x-ray and get checked further to make sure she was really ok. So, at 2:30 in the morning, we packed up our little family, everyone in their pj's, and headed to the hospital. I watched little Tay like a hawk in the backseat, I was so freaked out. She checked out just fine and we all got home at about 5 a.m., feeling exhausted but soooo thankful that our little girl was ok. It is something that I NEVER want to see again. There is no worse feeling than seeing your 3-day-old baby blue, not breathing and completely unresponsive.
I just have to express gratitude that we were so watched over last night. The Lord truly was taking care of our girl. From the fact that I hadn't fallen asleep yet (because I probably would not have heard Tay gag that last time before she lost her breath) and was prompted to look over into her bassinett, to the most important fact that Tay was able to get her air back, we were totally being blessed. In those LONGEST few minutes that she wasn't breathing, and as I frantically talked to the 9-1-1 dispatcher on the phone, I saw Chris saying a prayer over Tay as he worked desperately to get her to breath. I'm so grateful that in those moments, he had the thought to say a prayer and I know that the Lord heard him and sent the needed help to Tay. And as I'm sitting here watching little Tay sleeping away, safe and sound, I KNOW that the Lord loves her and He loves our family and that we can always rely on His help. I'm sooo thankful for that today!
Let's hope there are no more scary nights like last night for a VERY long time. Whew.





15 Comments:
That is seriously so scary! Can't imagine what that was like for you guys. So glad that you listened to the prompting you received and glad that everything turned out ok.
i'm a lurker (adoptive mom of two) and your post brought back so many memories of our youngest. He did the same thing at 8 days old. We went by ambulance (it was morning and I was alone with 5 year old dd). He stopped breathing 3 more times (once in ambulance...lights turned on, taken out of my arms and going pretty fast). Later we learned it was reflux. I said many prayers that day. The Lord does watch out for us and gives up those promptings when we need it. He didn't sleep much in his bassinet after that...mostly on my chest because he spit up so much.
Glad things turned out so well.
don't event tell me this stuff!
that gagging is awful, my babe did it for what seemed like an eternity but in reality was only a few days I'm sure. It was never as serious as your little Taylor's though.
So glad she is well and that you were being watched over.
Oh my gosh! How scary! Glad she is OK.
Eeeeek! That's every mother's worst nightmare!!!! My eyes welled up with tears as I read this. Glad everyone is safe and sound!
Oh wow! The power of the Holy Ghost is so important. I realized as a young mother that I needed to live my life worthily so that I could get those promptings like you have experienced. So glad that you listened to them.
How scary! I always can't wait to give birth so I know the baby is ok but then it doesn't end there does it! Thank goodness for the Priesthood and promptings!!!!
I hope you never have to relive this experience!!!!
That is so scary. I am so blessed to have the gospel in our lives. As mothers we are prompted and I am so grateful for that. I almost burst out in tears when I read this but I am so glad she is ok.
Karli, WOW! That is so traumatic! You may never sleep soundly again. Or at least for a year-ish. I'm so incredibly relieved that she is okay. But MAN! What a story for her baby book!
That is the scariest feeling, our little one has done that a few times and it freaked me out. The Lord is watching over you and how blessed you are to have listened. One thing we did to get some sleep and peace of mind was to get the Angelcare monitor. It has an alarm that goes off if they stop breathing.
oh my goodness! i am so glad she is ok and that you heard her.
Thank goodness for those promptings! Wow. That is so scary, Karli. My eyes were filled with tears as I read this post. I'm glad that everything is okay. As mothers, I know we are blessed with those promptings and intuitions when it comes to our children.
I actually had the EXACT same thing happen to me. I really don't like to comment on negative things, but I really think I should tell you what happened to our babies (twins). Our son had eaten and then completely turned blue, fell face forward, and my husband started cpr and got him breathing again. This was the day after he came home from the hospital. I have had enough kids with this issue now (4) to know that in our case, it was reflux too (like Judy). I have way too little space here to go into all the details, but you really need to see if she needs to be slightly elevated while she sleeps and also I would highly recommend reflux meds. I feel strongly many "sids" deaths are actually reflux deaths. Just know I feel inspired to tell you this. I am sure you know best but seriously think about it k? She is a beauty! Lisa
P.S. When you elevate the bed, make sure you put the towels or blankets or whatever under the mattress so it elevates too. For a baby with reflux, it needs to be a bassinet that you can elevate in some manner. We used the graco play pen kind with the bassinet at the top. My husband cut out a piece of a soft but heavy duty board and placed the kids safely on it. One more thing, if a child is struggling to breathe while they sleep, always rub the bottom of their feet or back to "remind" them to breathe. :) Good luck. :)
there are these pads at Target that can sense when the baby is not breathing/moving! Pretty Neat!
Post a Comment
<< Home