So much in my heart...
Well, it is nearing midnight and although I am emotionally spent and exhausted, my heart is full beyond description. The kids are all in bed (all 3 of them :), the house is quiet, and I am alone in my thoughts and feelings of this weekend. And I'm trying to figure out a way to get into words what my heart is feeling. I feel like I did the day Kaiya was born -- so out of words and yet so full of emotion! Please indulge me while I try to recap some of the events that have filled this little heart of mine right up and spilled it over!
Thursday, we went to court. We got all dressed up in our suits and Kaiya got all dressed up in her smiles! For some reason, I felt this need to look all lawyer-ish, because, well, I've never gone to court before, and this was one court appearance that I wanted to be able to make a good impression on the judge! Kaiya seemed thrilled to be there; we were quite nervous. For what, I'm not really sure, but the butterflies were flapping like crazy! We met our absolute STUD of a lawyer, who had decided to handle things pro-bono for the simple reason that he has a special place in his heart for adoption. I'm guessing this was a regular occurance for him, considering how well he knew our case-worker and the judge, which I think merits him COMPLETE STUD status! We rose to honor the judge, our case-worker took the stand to testify of all the legal t's crossed and i's dotted, to which the judge approved. Then our lawyer asked us to testify of our experience in adopting Kaiya and the flood gates swung open! In mighty abundance! How does one cram in what the last six months have meant to us? So, I just cried instead and said the few words that I could get out of my mouth in between tears. Kaiya sat in my lap, oblivious to the emotion that she has come to stir in us on a regular basis, and banged her hand on the table like the judge with his gavel. How appropriate. Laughing and talking away, while my tears fell on her little head. She apparently wasn't intimidated at all by the Honorable Judge So-And-So! Then our lawyer asked Chris to describe his feelings That is when the flood gates fell off and were swept away! It took him about 3 minutes to even start his response because of the free-flowing tears. There was not a dry eye in the court room. Except for Kaiya, who continued to happily bang on the table and tell her stories! And then that STUD of a judge (I say that in the highest respect, because he truly was a STUD) pronounced legal custody to Chris and I of our sweet baby girl, giving us all legal rights as if she were born to us (I think the suits worked in our favor. And Kaiya's smiles as well). Then he came down and asked to hold that beautiful little girl who had competed with him in gavel-banging. He was sooo kind and full of compliments and congratulations for our little family. And we cried a little more as we were handed our adoption decree. Then we went and had strawberry waffles at IHOP with our sweet family who had joined us for the occasion! All that banging on the table must have worn our munchkin out, because she passed on the waffles and had a good, long nap. It was such a happy day!
Saturday morning came. Again the butterflies were there, but this time flapping in excitement rather than nerves! We got our little Ya-ya up and dressed in her beautiful, white dress and most adorable shoes ever seen. We tried to plaster her cute white flower to her head, with little success, but even that couldn't dampen our mood! As we walked up to the temple, that cute girl was making heads turn in every direction. It's quite a thing, I guess, when all those faithful temple goers see a pretty little babe coming to the temple in her pretty, white dress to get sealed to her mom and dad. It seemed as if there were smiles coming from every direction. It was pretty special. Of course, the second we walked in the doors, the temple workers showered us with all their welcoming love. Even the man at the front desk teared up as he wished us a special day. I knew it was certainly going to be that! At each stop we made, people shared their own personal experiences with adoption and I realized what a universally special thing adoptoin is and how many people it touches. We left Kaiya in the nursery with my mom and went off to get dressed. We met with our sealer, who also happens to be my boss at work. Though he is the best boss ever, I liked him even more under these circumstances! We went into the sealing room to see the familiar faces of good friends and our families that we love so much. I wanted so badly to bottle up the love and spirit in that room to give to Kaiya so that she would always know what a special day it was for all of us. We were given such wonderful and spiritual words of counsel, while in the background I heard the faint sound of a crying babe. Yep, that was our girl! I resisted every urge to run out and comfort her, but knew she was in good hands with grandma. And her crying stopped. The counsel continued and then, a few minutes later, in walked my mom, holding Kaiya-bear. Her eyes were red and tired, but she glowed like an angel. She was fussy from being so tired, but did not seem scared or nervous about anything. We all went to the alter. She fussed some more until she found a beautiful light on the ceiling and then the familiar grin of grandpa in the witness chair. And then we were made a family for eternity and the tears came and the Spirit warmed and my heart was filled to its' brink once again. I looked at Chris accross the alter, being in this moment once again, as we had nearly six years before, and I was in love with him even more in that moment. I looked at Kaiya with her tired eyes, and tried to soak up every ounce of meaning that this moment presented to our family. It will take me a long while to really comprehend the depth of what that moment meant, but I was so thankful to be there. And I wiped my tears away with the hanky that we had embroidered Jessika's initials on. It was a perfect moment. About five seconds after we walked out of the sealing room, Kaiya was fast asleep. My mom commented that it was because she finally could rest peacefully knowing she had her eternal mom and dad. The sealing was done and she was content! It could not have been a more special or more perfect day!
(These pictures come come courtesy of Leah, who did the most AMAZING job capturing such special moments for our family to remember. We are sooo thankful for her sharing her talent with us! Thank you again so much, Leah! To see more of the pics, you can go here)
And today filled up my heart all over again. I kept saying that I needed to drink 5 gallons of water to rehydrate myself from all the tears that had been shed! We again dressed up our girl in her pretty white dress and adorable shoes, and finally even got the flower to stay on her head! A true accomplishment on such a wonderful day! We gathered at the church, surrounded by our friends and family, and watched Jessika and her family walk in the doors. Through her tears, Jess came over and said hello to Kaiya and gave her this beautiful, tiny gold ring. The same ring her grandmother had given to her mother to give to Jess on her blessing day. The same ring that Kaiya will one day pass on to her daughter when she is blessed. It was such a special gesture and I was overwhelmed with love and gratitude that they had come to share this day with us and with Kaiya. Chris took Kaiya up, where she was surrounded by people who have loved and supported our family in every respect, where she quietly and curiously sat in their arms to be given her blessing from her dad. It was so beautiful and the perfect combination of Chris' heart and Heavenly Father's words. You'd be pressed to find a dad as head over heels for his little girl as Chris is, and his emotions so perfectly expressed that love during her blessing. Mom sat in her seat, once again in tears. Jess held Kaiya for awhile, while we shared our feelings in testimony. It was another perfect day. Afterwards our seemingly little home was filled wall to wall with the friends and family who have loved and supported us throughout this whole journey, and years before this journey ever began. I am exhausted in the most fulfilling and satisfying ways and will carry treasures of memories from the events of this weekend. I will also be getting started on Kaiya's special book so that she can have these priceless memories and treasure them throughout her life.
I can't express my emotions in a way that would ever do justice to what is in my heart. There is such an abundance of love for my family, for our friends, for our sweet Jessika, for my Chris, and for the light of our lives, our Kaiya Michelle. I will kneel down tonight in humble gratitude for what my Heavenly Father has given to me and will go to sleep feeling thankful for my gifts and for the most perfect weekend I could have ever hoped for.
And I also wanted to express my gratitude for the amazingly kind words of encouragement and support you all have left in your comments. They are so uplifting to me and are sooo appreciated. I look forward to coming back to the blog world after this busy weekend away! For now, it's off to bed because I certainly need the sleep!
And today filled up my heart all over again. I kept saying that I needed to drink 5 gallons of water to rehydrate myself from all the tears that had been shed! We again dressed up our girl in her pretty white dress and adorable shoes, and finally even got the flower to stay on her head! A true accomplishment on such a wonderful day! We gathered at the church, surrounded by our friends and family, and watched Jessika and her family walk in the doors. Through her tears, Jess came over and said hello to Kaiya and gave her this beautiful, tiny gold ring. The same ring her grandmother had given to her mother to give to Jess on her blessing day. The same ring that Kaiya will one day pass on to her daughter when she is blessed. It was such a special gesture and I was overwhelmed with love and gratitude that they had come to share this day with us and with Kaiya. Chris took Kaiya up, where she was surrounded by people who have loved and supported our family in every respect, where she quietly and curiously sat in their arms to be given her blessing from her dad. It was so beautiful and the perfect combination of Chris' heart and Heavenly Father's words. You'd be pressed to find a dad as head over heels for his little girl as Chris is, and his emotions so perfectly expressed that love during her blessing. Mom sat in her seat, once again in tears. Jess held Kaiya for awhile, while we shared our feelings in testimony. It was another perfect day. Afterwards our seemingly little home was filled wall to wall with the friends and family who have loved and supported us throughout this whole journey, and years before this journey ever began. I am exhausted in the most fulfilling and satisfying ways and will carry treasures of memories from the events of this weekend. I will also be getting started on Kaiya's special book so that she can have these priceless memories and treasure them throughout her life.
And I also wanted to express my gratitude for the amazingly kind words of encouragement and support you all have left in your comments. They are so uplifting to me and are sooo appreciated. I look forward to coming back to the blog world after this busy weekend away! For now, it's off to bed because I certainly need the sleep! 




40 Comments:
Wow! What a weekend! We are so thrilled for you, thanks for sharing. She's absolutely adorable. Congratulations again!
Tears are still coming when I think of you guys! I am so happy for you!
Congratulations! She's such a beauty! The pics are amazing!
You are an amazing woman! I have been thinking about your sweet family all week. What a wonderful experience to be able to be sealed in the temple as an eternal family, with your daughter in your arms. I could only imagine the joy and love that was felt in that sealing room. Thanks again for sharing your deep tender thoughts of this weekend. Your pictures at the temple are priceless.
I found myself anxious to check your blog this morning after I got the kids off to school. I knew you would post about this weekend, and I have just been anxious to see how it went. I always have a good cry when I read about your experiences, I was not let down this morning! :) I am just crying, and looking over at my Eddie as he babbles off "mama" (his new word), and I just feel so emotional! I feel your gratitude for motherhood so much, and it just makes me feel thankful for my little guy who almost didn't come. I think I forget sometimes, (in the rush of daily life), and then I go to your blog and read your feelings, I feel renewed, and reminded to appreciate every moment I can. Thank you so much for sharing Karli, you touch people with your words, adoption related or not. :) I am so happy for you and Chris, you are wonderful people to know, truly inspiring. You two, (and Jessika), leave impressions on more people than you realize. Thank you for sharing!
We are so happy for your family! Congratulations!
Congratulations to your beautiful eternal family. The pictures are amazing...you can really feel the the spirit shining through them.
Thank you for letting me a part of such a special time. Beautiful pictures!
I am so thankful that I was able to have a small peek into your emotional & spiritual whirlwind of a weekend. I am happy you have shared your thouhts and what you have felt, so that I may understand just a little more of your journey. I am soo happy for you, chris and Kaiya, and am thankful & honored to be apart of your eternal family! You amaze me and I love you sis for the example you are to me!
How can you argue with the happy face on that girl?
What an awesome experience, how wonderful to be eternal together.
Many, MANY congratulations!
I came over from C Jane to take a peak and totally got swept away by the account of your special weekend. It really touched my heart!
Congratulations. Such a beautiful girl & gorgeous family you have.
Congratulations to your sweet ETERNAL family! What an incredible experience for you. I'm sure you feel as I did after our daughter was sealed to us. It makes all the tears, all the heartache, so completely worth it!
Thank you so much for writing this Kar. I felt like I was there with you. You are such beautiful people - in every way. I love that yoh had a handkerchief with Jessika's initials on it inside the temple. I love that Chris was emotional while he expressed his feelings to the judge, and during the blessing. I love that precious Kaiya's gorgeous smile. Mostly I love the heartfelt expressions of one very special mother. I always have a smile and a giant lump in my throat while I read about your love for Kaiya. This whole experience, from day one, that you have so graciously shared with us always makes me feel so uplifted. I'm so proud to know. SO PROUD! Love Camille
Thank you for posting about your week, Karli. What a privilege it was for me to be able to attend the blessing yesterday. Chris did such an amazing job and to see all of the people there who love and support your beautiful family, was very touching. Your testimonies were incredible and the Spirit was very strong. You have touched many lives - especially mine. Thank you for inviting me and for letting me share in your joy. I am so incredibly happy for you two. I believe it was the Young Men's president who said it, yesterday, when he stated that no family deserves it more than you and Chris. He was right on!
I was thinking about you this weekend as we went to the temple up in DC. What a great experience. I remember when you got married, and now look at your cute little family!
I just had a chance to browse those pictures. They are so very cute! What fun keepsakes for you to have!
Chris and Kar, what a special few days you have had, and thank you again for letting us indulge ourselves in some of those moments. It was such an amazing experience to be there in the sealing room with you, we loved every minute. I was so grateful to be reminded of how special the blessing of being sealed for time and all eternity is. You and Chris are so deserving of sweet Kaiya. We were also thrilled to meet Jess and her family yesterday, what a precious gift she is to you as well. Thanks for letting us all be a part of this weekend in one way or another. We love you!
I am sitting here...ironically, babsitting Jessika's cousins....and could hardly read your post through the tears. You have such a way with words Karli. Its like you're opening your heart and showing us all a little peak into what you feel. Kaiya will read all of this someday and be able to FEEL exactly what you felt. Its incredible.
Its amazing how SO many years of pain and patience can turn into an overwhelming outpouring of more love from more places than you could ever dream. If any people on earth deserve to be happy, its you and Chris by FAR. Thank you for being such an inspiration and uplifting example of faith and love.
And those pictures are SOOOOOO cute!!! Oh my gosh, they are great!
When I read this earlier today there were 4 comments. Now I look like the late straggler in-er. But I'm not.
You guys rock. I'm so sad we missed the blessing yesterday. For some reason I thought Chris said it would be on the ninth. So when May wasn't feeling well, I didn't think we'd miss too much at church. DOH!
Thanks for the insight on such a beautiful glimpse of this past week and last six months. What a great journey and story to share.
PS What else could the judge with such a smiley baby? Thats testimony enough!
Chris asked me not to attend the court date because as Universal Champion of The Universe of Dart Throwing, I only would have made the father-to-be look incompetent. Glad to know it still worked out buddy.
I wish I could have been there Sunday. I wasn't feeling too well, but I bet it was just lovely! I'm so happy for your family and always wish you the best.
Wow! There are hardly words to express the feelings I've felt second-hand while reading about your experiences. Thank you for sharing them... your entire journey has been such an inspiration! What a gift and blessing! Your family is really so beautiful!! :)
Congratulations Chris and Karli, we're so happy for you!!!!!
This could quite possibly be the best event I've ever missed. The only thing we could think all weekend is how much we wanted to be there with you guys. You had plenty of support that's for sure so we feel a little better. Many congrats and can't say enough how much you guys have earned this peace and happiness.
So neat- your words are beautiful and very descriptive. I am so sad we couldn't come but we are happy to be with our grammy.
Oh Kar! I am so very happy for you and Chris and your beautiful little girl. Thanks for sharing this miracle in your lives so eloquently and freely. Truly you have touched many lives.
I cried all the way through this post! You always put your feelings so perfectly into words! This all makes me so excited for our turn in a few months. Wow, it is all so wonderful and amazing! Congrats on your forever family!
Hi, I'm visiting from CJane's site--Just had to look because we went through just about the same wonderful weekend almost 3 years ago. Same court! Probably even the same lawyer. We even went to IHOP!Different Temple, though (Mt Timp). Thanks for putting into such sweet words your experience, it brought back so many great memories. Congratulations!
I don't personally know you. I only have the words to read on a computer screen, but I am genuinely happy for you and your family. I sat and cried as I read your beautiful description of what could only be one of the best weekends in someone's life. I feel joy in my heart for your happiness. Congratulations and best wishes.
Tears, tears and more tears! What a beautiful weekend! Thank you for sharing with all of us and reminding us how wonderful eternal families are! Love to your sweet family! Jill
Hi Honey,
The blessing quota must have been ALL used up last week. We are so thankful that every detail turned out just perfect (minus a bow or two). We love you, Chris and Kaiya and feel amazingly blessed that it worked out so we could enjoy these special moments with you. Eternal memories were made.
I think I am going to have to curl up and sleep when this month is over! Talk about INTENSE! So beautiful. An eternal family has been created. That has just an amazing ring to it. How priceless to meet Jess. What a Giant she is. I just wanted to wrap her up and tell her how amazing she was. She might have thought I was crazy though. It was neat to introduce her to Calli and Elisa. I don't know if that helped her but it was nice to feel connected to someone. I love to watch you guys with her. Such great examples for her to look up to as she continues on her path. That's what I love about open adoption for these younger birth moms especially . They have these role models to look up to and to have the support of staying on the right path. Words don't seem to express how wonderful this has all been. Congratulations Mom and Dad. Little Ya-Ya is adorable. She is like a doll!
BTW, I tagged you on my blog
We love you guys and couldn't be happier for you!
Tears...why do you have to make me cry!? It was a beautiful blessing...it was fun to see you on Sunday - Kaiya is so pretty!
I don't know you, but I really don't think I could be happier if I did. Congratulations isn't a big enough word.
I don't know you but I came across your blog on cjane's. I was so touched by this post- what a beautiful baby and neat pictures! My husband and I adopted a baby girl 6 months ago through LDS Family Services. We go to court next week and then later this month we get to go to the temple where my dad will be able to seal our daughter to us!! You have a beautiful family. Congratulations.
I always seem to be the last comment. Thank you so much for such a special weekend Karli! I know I posted on my site a little thank you for what this weekend meant to me but I just needed to tell you again how happy I am for you. You both deserve all of the happiness in the world!
Wow Karli, those are some comments, you lucky woman! You know, I don't think any of us, (your readers), get tired of seeing pictures of Kaiya, even if you have nothing to say, just post some pictures, it's so fun to see her! :)
I LOVED the way you explained your experience! We all got a front row seat in the court room and sealing ceromony... SO AWESOME!
My sister inlaw also adopted a beautiful little girl a little over 2 years ago and there is nothing more beautiful than the sealing ceromony... so amazing!
Thanks for sharing.... you always make me want to be a better person... and I have never met you!
Your pictures are AWESOME! You make such a beautiful family!
What an amazing weekend you guys had! I love reading your blog even though I don't know you personally. You really have a way with words. Very touching post!
Post a Comment
<< Home