Yikes, I gotta get this stuff down before I forget!! We have had some BIG milestones in our house over the last few weeks and we are so excited about it all!! Our little baby girl is growing up in what seems like a blur!!
First big change came a few weeks ago, on January 25th (yes, I am remembering as many dates as I can!) we moved Kaiya from her bassinett in our room to her crib! It was a change that I knew needed to take place, but there was that big piece of me that didn't want her to leave our room and transition to her own (I sound like such a first time mom) and on top of that, it was just so convenient to be able to reach over and stick the bottle in her mouth or give her the binky! But we (well, Chris) finally said it was time, so we tucked her into her crib with grandma's blanket to keep her warm, and Jessika's little stuffed angel bear to hold onto, turned on her little lullaby fish mobile, and headed out the door wondering how on earth our night was going to go. >
That night, to our great delight and surprise, she slept until about 9 the next morning -- one of her longest night sleeps yet! She never woke up, never fussed! We were pretty glued to the monitor all night, but for the most part, I think we both slept a lot better as well! Whew, we made it through a biggie!! We aren't quite ready to give up our snuggle naps with her, though. Nor do I think we should give those precious moments up! A few days later came the next big milestone. Now, if you know Kaiya, you know how big this one was! From the moment we brought her home, she has been a swaddler. We would have to wrap her tight as a mummy in order for her to rest peacefully or fall asleep at all. Every night, the same routine -- arms down by her side, nestled into the pouch of her swaddling blanket, then wrapped round and around. We tried to get her to go to sleep a few times without it, but she just couldn't sleep! I was so worried about this, with visions of a 10 year old Kaiya still swaddled up in her blanket! (Pardon the exaggeration, but trust me, it was starting to get to that point!) Anyway, after a few nights in her crib, we decided we just had to start putting her down without wrapping her up and we'd have to live with it until she got used to falling asleep without it. Once again, she surprised us because the first night we put her down without wrapping her up, she fell asleep with no problems and hasn't looked back since! Whew, another one down! Looks like this is the only swaddling that will be taking place around our house from now on! (By the way, this blanket has literally been a miracle blanket in our house for the last 5 months, thanks to Ashley!) Moving on to our next BIG milestone. Last Friday night, we were over at our friend's house and I was talking about how I wasn't sure what to look for to know if Kaiya was getting her first tooth soon. For about a month and a half, I have positively been sure that her tooth was going to show up any day because she has been drooling PROFUSELY and ravenously tried to get anything she could to rub on her bottom gums. So, while at our friends' house, we checked and checked while she went to town on the outside of a frozen Pedialyte popcicle. We couldn't see anything. Where was that dang tooth?! Then a few days later, on Sunday the 27th of January (yes, still making sure to remember important dates), we were sitting in church and Kaiya was gnawing on Chris' knuckle, when all of the sudden he's like what the? We pulled down her lip, and SURPRISE, there was her first tooth! Now, call me silly, but I actually got choked up! I was so excited, I wanted to go up to the pulpit and announce to the ward that we had a tooth! I refrained, and just glowed in my seat with excitement! It is the cutest little tooth I've ever seen! Then, throughout the whole entire week this week, Kaiya has not been herself at all. She's been fussy, irratable, and has woken up every night this week several times during the night. I knew #2 had to be following close behind. Sure enough, last night, we found that her second tooth popped up right next to #1 to keep it company! So, now she has her first two bottom teeth in all their glory! So, after much (and more and more and more) of this... this is what she has to show for it: (look closely, they're both there!) You may think that would be it, but oh no, there's more! As if she hasn't gone through enough change these past few weeks, on Wednesday (January 30th -- haaa), Kaiya got her first taste of something other than powder formula and water! Upon the suggestion of her pediatrician, who said to start with the stuff that isn't as likely to taste as good (because they won't know the difference anyway), we decided to start her on some pureed veggies -- mmmm! We suited her up, sat her in the chair, and with grandma and grandpa gathered around, we gave her a try of some sweet potatoes! It was so cute! She had no idea what to do with this foreign substace in her mouth, or the weird stick that was shoving that foreign substance into her mouth, but all in all, the experience went quite well. She took a few swallows without much of a reaction (good or bad), slobbered much of it all over her entire face and down her front, and even smiled a bit at all the attention she was getting! I'm sure, as with most things, it was much more entertaining for us than it was for her, but still, a big step indeed! Next, it's on to sweet peas, green beans and carrots! Gosh, doesn't that just sound delightful?! (please excuse grandpa's french in the video!)
Wow, I can hardly keep up with how quickly this little girl is growing up and changing! I have to admit, that although it is soooo hard to feel like time is flying by before my eyes, I am so in love with all the exciting new steps Kaiya is taking! These milestones are such special little gems that I will keep tucked away in my treasure box as I watch her experience the world and jump into her life with both feet! I will probably always wish for her to slow down, but I LOVE that I get to be here to witness the miracles of her growth and development throughout her life! So far, so GREAT, my little Ya-ya!
I understand about the whole swaddling thing. Our Daughter, Daytona, was the same way. She loved to be swaddled and wouldn't have it any other way. Which was hard in the middle of the summer when it was so hot. My in-laws babysat one night and said that she was so tired but she wouldn't go to sleep and finally they swaddled her and she was out in minutes. I often pictured a teenage girl that we would have to swaddle up. I was suprised when we finally decied it was time to stop how easy it was for her. And I agree that I will never give up the cuddling nap times. (I am was on the mission with you in a different area, I served with Camille & Amy, and Natalie in the MTC, just in case you were wondering who you were talking to. Your little girl is so precious!)
Oh my goodness...she's growing up! I'm glad she's finally decided to sleep unswaddled. Kody decided it was okay too just a couple weeks ago! Miracles do happen! :) I can't believe she's getting her little toothies! So cute. We need to do lunch soon!
She is a doll! Those teeth are a big deal! Congratulations Kaiya. I loved my snuggle naps with Miles, too. I soaked up as much snuggle time as he could handle. I love hearing your sweet mother voice Kar. You are a gem.
P.S. Three cheers for garlic lime chicken and sweet carrot rice!!!
Wow - I can't believe how big she is getting! It seems like she was just born. These are exciting times, that's for sure. By the way, can I just say, again, how much I love her crib bedding. Her room & colors are great!
Emma got her two bottom teeth first too. I think they look adorable. :)
Kaiya is a little doll. Oh, and you did make me feel better with your "wiping out" story in front of church. It's more embarrassing than anything & I'm sure the whole street now knows I'm a Mormon - and not because I was walking to the church. :)
wow, so many 1st's in such a short time. How exciting for you first time parents! I have swaddled all of the kids but it never seemed like such an issue, cuz come summer time it was just too hot and we just stopped doing it. I never remember much of a problem. We do have to get some play time in soon! I guess I will be seeing you this weekend
My daughter, Ashley, was a month early. She was in the ICU for 7 days and the nurses swalled her up in the blankets just as you described. She had to sleep that way for a couple of months also, but she finally got over it. She was the best sleeper though and I know it was because of how secure she felt in that blanket.
First teeth are always fun. My oldest's tooth would pop out then go back in. This happened for about a month. She was miserable. It was nice once it was out for good.
those are some big milestones, and you're so smart to document them. Kaiya is just too cute! It's so exciting when they get their first tooth... fun fun!
Milestones are so exciting! You feel like you couldn't imagine being any prouder!
And I had the same anxiety even with child #3 when I had to move her into the crib (at 6 months)! It never seems to be as big of a deal than you make of it in your head once you actually DO it. Good job!!!
HAPPY, HAPPY!!! I was just smiling through that whole post! HOw FUN!!! YOu remind me that I need to do the same on my blog, since it is my only form of journaling right now. Way to go Karli!!! (and way to go little Kaiya!)
Sleeping by herself, no more swaddling, AND teeth! She is growing up fast! Btw, where did you find the bumper and quilt?! I love the colors and patterns!
Wonderful milestones! Pretty soon you will be going to Future Freshman Night and wondering where the years have gone instead of the weeks or days. (Yes, we just went to FFN with Becca. She will be in High School next fall!)Your way of sharing all these amazing experiences in life is so much fun to read. Thanks, Kar.
18 Comments:
I understand about the whole swaddling thing. Our Daughter, Daytona, was the same way. She loved to be swaddled and wouldn't have it any other way. Which was hard in the middle of the summer when it was so hot. My in-laws babysat one night and said that she was so tired but she wouldn't go to sleep and finally they swaddled her and she was out in minutes. I often pictured a teenage girl that we would have to swaddle up. I was suprised when we finally decied it was time to stop how easy it was for her. And I agree that I will never give up the cuddling nap times. (I am was on the mission with you in a different area, I served with Camille & Amy, and Natalie in the MTC, just in case you were wondering who you were talking to. Your little girl is so precious!)
Oh my goodness...she's growing up! I'm glad she's finally decided to sleep unswaddled. Kody decided it was okay too just a couple weeks ago! Miracles do happen! :) I can't believe she's getting her little toothies! So cute. We need to do lunch soon!
Finally a tooth! Or two. She just keeps getting cuter every day.
HaHA! Grandpa is my kind of man! And you know this, Karli :)
She is a doll! Those teeth are a big deal! Congratulations Kaiya. I loved my snuggle naps with Miles, too. I soaked up as much snuggle time as he could handle. I love hearing your sweet mother voice Kar. You are a gem.
P.S. Three cheers for garlic lime chicken and sweet carrot rice!!!
Wow - I can't believe how big she is getting! It seems like she was just born. These are exciting times, that's for sure. By the way, can I just say, again, how much I love her crib bedding. Her room & colors are great!
Emma got her two bottom teeth first too. I think they look adorable. :)
Kaiya is a little doll. Oh, and you did make me feel better with your "wiping out" story in front of church. It's more embarrassing than anything & I'm sure the whole street now knows I'm a Mormon - and not because I was walking to the church. :)
wow, so many 1st's in such a short time. How exciting for you first time parents!
I have swaddled all of the kids but it never seemed like such an issue, cuz come summer time it was just too hot and we just stopped doing it. I never remember much of a problem.
We do have to get some play time in soon! I guess I will be seeing you this weekend
My daughter, Ashley, was a month early. She was in the ICU for 7 days and the nurses swalled her up in the blankets just as you described. She had to sleep that way for a couple of months also, but she finally got over it. She was the best sleeper though and I know it was because of how secure she felt in that blanket.
First teeth are always fun. My oldest's tooth would pop out then go back in. This happened for about a month. She was miserable. It was nice once it was out for good.
Sorry that my grammer is horrible in that last post (and in this one). I need to go back to Mrs. Dunagans English class. Ha Ha
those are some big milestones, and you're so smart to document them. Kaiya is just too cute! It's so exciting when they get their first tooth... fun fun!
How exciting! And not long before she is all your FOREVER!! I am so excited for all of McCoy's milestones but am enjoying the now for now!
Savannah didn't get her first tooth until she was 15 months- we thought we would have to send her to preschool with dentures!
Milestones are so exciting! You feel like you couldn't imagine being any prouder!
And I had the same anxiety even with child #3 when I had to move her into the crib (at 6 months)! It never seems to be as big of a deal than you make of it in your head once you actually DO it. Good job!!!
Oh you guys. It is so precious! What a sweet girl. They try so hard to grow up so fast.
I just have to tell you that I love reading your blog. Little Kaiya is so darling! :)
HAPPY, HAPPY!!! I was just smiling through that whole post! HOw FUN!!! YOu remind me that I need to do the same on my blog, since it is my only form of journaling right now. Way to go Karli!!! (and way to go little Kaiya!)
Sleeping by herself, no more swaddling, AND teeth! She is growing up fast! Btw, where did you find the bumper and quilt?! I love the colors and patterns!
Wonderful milestones! Pretty soon you will be going to Future Freshman Night and wondering where the years have gone instead of the weeks or days. (Yes, we just went to FFN with Becca. She will be in High School next fall!)Your way of sharing all these amazing experiences in life is so much fun to read. Thanks, Kar.
Post a Comment
<< Home