RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: Our angel

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Our angel

I hesitate in writing this post because I always wonder if I share too much or not enough. Over the past week or so, my thoughts and emotions have been so turned to Kaiya's birthmother, Jessika. I mean, I am always thinking of her and praying for her happiness, and naturally every time I think about the blessing of having Kaiya in my life, I automatically think of her then. But lately, she has been on my mind so much more. And it makes me VERY emotional. I feel the deepest respect for her and the difficult things she has faced in her young life. And how she was able to rise above it all and make decisions that most people will never be able to understand. I think about all that she is doing in her life now and how grateful I am that she is happy and surrounded by such a loving family and good friends. The other night we were talking on the phone and she mentioned how she started crying the other day because she didn't want Kaiya to grow up so fast, and how she gets sad sometimes thinking about the moments that she misses in Kaiya's life. It hit me like a ton of bricks how incredibly hard that would be. And yet, she made her decision and she followed through with it, as heartbreaking and difficult as it was, and in the process, she became our angel here on earth. I just can't express the amount of love and gratitude I feel for Jess. How can you express enough feeling and emotion to someone who has given you the one gift that has brought more joy and peace and happiness than anything else in your life? How do you find words to express the amount of gratitude you feel to someone who in one selfless act, filled all those empty spaces in your heart that made you ache so much? I hope that someday, when words can be FELT and UNDERSTOOD more fully than they are here in our earthly existence, that I will be able to express such things to Jessika so that she knows just how much she means to us, just how much she has changed our lives. We love her with all of our hearts -- all three of our hearts that she brought together.

In the midst of all of these thoughts and feelings I have been having for Jessika, I have been listening to a song over and over and over again because it reaches in and touches and grabs hold of those deep feelings in my heart. I have seen it posted on lots of adoption blogs, so forgive me if it is old news to some of you. But I cannot listen to this song without sobbing and bawling my eyes out. It is soooo beautiful. It is called "Delivery" by Cherie Call.


She was only 17, and she knew she couldn't keep him.
B
ut at that very moment, she wished that she could try.
He was sleeping in her arms, with his hand around her finger,
When a woman came and told her it was time to say goodbye.
So she wrapped him in a blanket, as her tears fell on his head,
And she sent him with a letter, and this is what it said:

"I delivered you from heaven,
From God's gentle, loving care.
I've entrusted you to mortals,
Who have wished and prayed you there.
They will be your earthy parents.
Listen well to what they say,
So they can deliver you back to heaven
And I'll meet you there someday."

One day a few weeks later, someone gave her a letter,
And as she read the words, she had to wipe the tears away.
It said, "We don't know how to thank you, there are things that words can't say.
He's the sunshine and the happiness that brightens all our days.
And we couldn't live without him.
And we love him as our own.
He has filled the empty spaces in our family and our home.

"You delivered him from heaven.
Something only you could do.
And you have trusted us to love him
And to teach him what is true.
You have been our earthly angel,
And I hope you know we pray,
That we can deliver him back to heaven
And that we'll meet you there someday.

"And even though you may not get to hold him for awhile,
A piece of you will be with him, every time he smiles.
And when he looks at his reflection, he'll see traces of the face
Of the one who made the sacrifice to send him to this place.

"Last night we read a story of man who had a Son,
Who was from a different Father, but he loved Him as his own.
And as he laid Him in a manger, there were angels that were singing,
And he knew that as a father, he would never be alone.
There are times we feel like Joseph, we need help from up above.
And when you gave your son, you showed that Father's kind of love.

"When you delivered him from heaven,
From God's gentle, loving care,
And you entrusted him to mortals
Who had wished and prayed him there.
When this life's laid out before us,
I hope we all can say,
That we delivered this child together,
When we meet again someday.
We'll deliver him back to heaven,
And we'll meet you there someday."

Thanks to our angel, Jessika. We all love you so much!

15 Comments:

Blogger the splendid life of us... said...

I know these feelings all too well! Thankyou for sharing!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

what a beautiful song, I can only imagine how that tugs at your heart every time you hear it. THanks for sharing your thoughts, I always love to hear them, whether in person or on the blog.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Eve said...

I can't imagine how much you must love Jessika. I feel like all my personal prayers since becoming a mom are thanking God for our girl - you have an extra one to say 'thank you' for! Kaiya is lucky to have you both in her life.

3:03 PM  
Blogger NAT said...

Wow, thank you for sharing that song & your sweet words, Kar. I can't even imagine giving up my sweet Emma, but I know that Jessika was touched by the Spirit to choose you and Chris and that all is as it should be.

I have a friend who chose to give her baby daughter up for adoption, and even though her heart aches at times, she knows it was the right choice and she has been able to accomplish so much with her life. Not to mention that the adoptive parents have been royally blessed as well. It's all for the best in the end.

You are a good person, Karli, and Kaiya is a very lucky girl to have so many who love her.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

that is such a sweet song, i can see why it would make you cry every time you heard it. jessika is such a sweet girl!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Karli- you are amazing and so unselfish. Jessika is so lucky she found you to give her baby to.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Kalli Ko said...

incredible how it all works out huh?

I love these posts!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Carlotta said...

i am left speechless. my heart connects to these emotions ALL to well! i look up to jess so much. How young she is. i admire her so much. it's families like you and chris and like the hanfts that take the sting away from placing a baby, even though the pain is still there.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

This is one of the most touching post I have ever read. You are ALL lucky to have found each other! Kaiya is one lucky BEAUTIFUL girl to be surrounded by so much LOVE!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Jamie and Family said...

Thank you Kar. It is uplifting and enlightening when you share your deepest feelings.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Grammy said...

My heart is so touched by you. I have four nephews that are adopted. Both moms (sister and sister-in-law) have worked with the church adoption program as advocates. They have housed birth mothers. My folks housed birth mothers. It is such a beautiful thing, this placing of babies by the mothers that cannot raise them. It is truly unselfish. And it is right. I am so happy that you have sweet baby Kaiya in your home. She is one very lucky little girl. You and Chris are angels, too, you know! I have not heard that song and found it very touching. Thanks for sharing what is in your heart, Kar. I love you!

10:41 AM  
Blogger C. Jane Kendrick said...

It's comforting to know that Jessika will be blessed for the rest of her existence for her sacrifice. Mostly, because she has people like the Grover's on her side.

Beautiful post K.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Wow, Karli, I never cry so much while on the computer, except on your blog! Thank you for sharing, I REALLY appreciate everything you share. It helps those of us who do not have personal experience with adoption, to come a bit closer to understanding our friends who do go through it. I know I will never fully understand what you or Carly or any of my other friends have gone through, but all your insite and words help me to try and picture it the best I can. Thank you again for sharing. You are such a special person. And Jessika is so amazing and brave. I was just on the phone with Carly, and we talked how at 17, you really don't have the same understanding about "adult reality" as you do when you are much older. It makes her choice even more admirable. She really is an angel. So are you Karli! :)

4:40 PM  
Blogger Ani said...

This post should have a tissue warning!

What beautiful words, and your sentiments echo in my heart... Every time I snuggle with my little guy, every laugther, every day, I send a prayer of thanks to the woman who brought him into the world, and to God for choosing us as his forever family.

Thank you for sharing your heart with us.

6:33 AM  
Blogger Mugs said...

Jessika is an angel for all of us observing as well. I am so moved by her courage and the choices she has made. She will be blessed FOREVER for the richness she has brought to your life. YOU are an angel too Karli. Whenever friends ask me about you (after clicking on your link) I tell them that you are sincerely one of the most Christ-like people I have the privelege of knowing, and EVERY time they respond by saying that they could tell that about you. Thanks for your beautiful comment this morning spolecnice. I love you loads.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones