Tag, I'm it!
Ok, I've been tagged by Ash to tell some things about when Chris and I met and dated (seems so long ago!) So, bear with some tales of mushy love!! Or just skip over it -- haa!
1. Where did you meet your husband? We met on the front door step of one of my college apartments, on our first blind date! Yes, we were set up by my sister and her then boyfriend, Quinn (who is now her husband). Chris and Quinn knew each other and he and my sister thought we would make a good pair. Let's just say they were right, but not until a few years later!
2. What was the first thing said? Knowing Chris, it was probably something funny to break the ice and to ease the awkwardness. I don't really remember, though. I do remember what was being said in my head, though -- "oh my gosh, he looks just like my brother, Aaron!"
3. What was your first date? Well, I should take a minute to explain things here, since we kinda had TWO first dates. The first first date, we went with my sister and her boyfriend to dinner at Olive Garden and to a fair. Then Chris and I came back to my apartment and talked and talked for a couple of hours. I remember thinking that it was one of the most comfortable first dates I had ever been on and that Chris was so easy to talk to. We dated a few more times after that, but to be honest, there was no chemistry for either of us and it quickly fizzled out. It was a bit strange for me that he looked so much like my brother and it kinda scared me just how much my mom and sister liked him -- you're not supposed to date people that your family likes that quickly, right?! :) Anyway, I left on my mission and Chris moved on to dating every single girl in Utah County and although we never spoke during that time, every once in awhile I would think back to Chris and just always remembered what a truly nice, nice guy he was and how I really enjoyed his company. I think I even told a few of my mission companions about him, which is odd, since we didn't even really date that much before my mission! I think that was Heavenly Father's way of making sure I never forgot him! When I returned home, Chris and I saw each other at a volleyball tournament he was playing in and unbeknownst to me, he ended up talking to my sister again and asking if I was seeing anyone and if he could get my number. Unbeknownst to him, I was TOTALLY checking him out that entire evening and could not get over how HOT he was!! (AND, he didn't seem to remind me so much of my brother anymore, which made me feel not so weird about him!) A few weeks later, I got a phone call from Chris and it was like no time had passed at all and it was as comfortable as could be on the phone. He asked me out and on our second first date, we went to Los Hermanos and then to play pool -- during which time, I beat Chris 5 games to 1 and he still swears it wasn't because he let me win! What a sweetie! We then drove up the canyon and went on a walk in the FREEZING cold -- yes, it was in January. But funny enough, I didn't mind at all. This second time around, the chemistry was IMMEDIATE and strong and I knew right away that something special was happening!
4. How long did you date? We dated the second time around for 5 months when we got engaged, 8 total before we were married! I know, pretty fast, but when you know, you know! Chris would insert a whole addition to this, since I had a plan that we needed to date for at least a year before we got engaged, and that I wanted to get married a year later than we actually did. He always teases me that it took a good long talk with my parents to make me realize that I was ready to marry him and throw my plan out the window! So, he put his foot down on the whole waiting a year thing, and you can see who won that fight! And I'm soooo glad he won!
5. First kiss? A few days after our second first date. We went to a fireside together and then came back and sat in the car for about an hour. The whole time, I'm giving him every possible signal that I can think of that yes, indeed, I wanted those lips, but after trying every clue, I gave up and figured that he wasn't going to make the move that night. I was pretty bummed! Then he walked me to my door and to my very pleasant surprise, he planted one on me and it was pretty much heaven! And every kiss since then has been pretty much heaven, I must say!
6. Where did you get engaged? Chris came home from work early on a Friday and told me he wanted to go hiking. So, we went to Olive Garden (where we had our first first date -- is that getting confusing yet?) and got take out and headed up Provo Canyon. It was getting later in the afternoon/evening and I remember Chris was just practically running up the mountain. I was so annoyed because I didn't even feel like we were enjoying the hike because he was going so fast, so I even stopped at one point and got mad at him. I'm so oblivious and had no idea that I was pitching a fight with someone who was about to propose to me! Haa! So, we finally made it to the top of Stuart Falls and after eating a little dinner, and at just the right moment as the sun was setting and absolutely gorgeous, Chris asks me to get something out of our bag and when I turn back around, there is a box with the most gorgeous ring in it, staring right back at me! Chris then got down on his knee on the rocks, with the waterfall behind us and the sunset in front of us and asks me to marry him! I was so excited, I forgot to say yes! Then, he had downloaded some of our favorite songs on his palm pilot, and we danced and just held each other! It was sooo romantic and such an amazing moment for me! And I am still amazed that we were not interrupted even once by any other hikers! It was like that spot was all ours for that one special evening!
7. Where did you get married? At the Mount Timpanogos temple in American Fork on August 9th, 2002. The best decision and the best day of my life!
8. How did the reception go? It was WONDERFUL! Such a fun night to be shared with so many special friends and family! And to top it off, the temperature dropped 15 degrees on the day we were married, so instead of the blistering hot August outdoor reception we were anticipating, it was a very comfortable summer evening!
9. Where did you go on your honeymoon? Sydney, Australia! And I didn't have a clue until we pulled up to the curb at the airport and Chris handed me my ticket! What an amazing place to visit with my new hubby!
10. Do you have a song? There are a lot we love together that have special meaning to us, but cheesy as it is, our song is "This I Promise You" by N'Sync. Yes, we have a boy band song, I know, but we just connected with the words and felt like they told our story!
And there you have it, the story of us, in all it's cheesy, but wonderful glory!! Oh yeah, and I now tag anyone who wants to share their story! Please share, please share!
1. Where did you meet your husband? We met on the front door step of one of my college apartments, on our first blind date! Yes, we were set up by my sister and her then boyfriend, Quinn (who is now her husband). Chris and Quinn knew each other and he and my sister thought we would make a good pair. Let's just say they were right, but not until a few years later!
2. What was the first thing said? Knowing Chris, it was probably something funny to break the ice and to ease the awkwardness. I don't really remember, though. I do remember what was being said in my head, though -- "oh my gosh, he looks just like my brother, Aaron!"
3. What was your first date? Well, I should take a minute to explain things here, since we kinda had TWO first dates. The first first date, we went with my sister and her boyfriend to dinner at Olive Garden and to a fair. Then Chris and I came back to my apartment and talked and talked for a couple of hours. I remember thinking that it was one of the most comfortable first dates I had ever been on and that Chris was so easy to talk to. We dated a few more times after that, but to be honest, there was no chemistry for either of us and it quickly fizzled out. It was a bit strange for me that he looked so much like my brother and it kinda scared me just how much my mom and sister liked him -- you're not supposed to date people that your family likes that quickly, right?! :) Anyway, I left on my mission and Chris moved on to dating every single girl in Utah County and although we never spoke during that time, every once in awhile I would think back to Chris and just always remembered what a truly nice, nice guy he was and how I really enjoyed his company. I think I even told a few of my mission companions about him, which is odd, since we didn't even really date that much before my mission! I think that was Heavenly Father's way of making sure I never forgot him! When I returned home, Chris and I saw each other at a volleyball tournament he was playing in and unbeknownst to me, he ended up talking to my sister again and asking if I was seeing anyone and if he could get my number. Unbeknownst to him, I was TOTALLY checking him out that entire evening and could not get over how HOT he was!! (AND, he didn't seem to remind me so much of my brother anymore, which made me feel not so weird about him!) A few weeks later, I got a phone call from Chris and it was like no time had passed at all and it was as comfortable as could be on the phone. He asked me out and on our second first date, we went to Los Hermanos and then to play pool -- during which time, I beat Chris 5 games to 1 and he still swears it wasn't because he let me win! What a sweetie! We then drove up the canyon and went on a walk in the FREEZING cold -- yes, it was in January. But funny enough, I didn't mind at all. This second time around, the chemistry was IMMEDIATE and strong and I knew right away that something special was happening!
4. How long did you date? We dated the second time around for 5 months when we got engaged, 8 total before we were married! I know, pretty fast, but when you know, you know! Chris would insert a whole addition to this, since I had a plan that we needed to date for at least a year before we got engaged, and that I wanted to get married a year later than we actually did. He always teases me that it took a good long talk with my parents to make me realize that I was ready to marry him and throw my plan out the window! So, he put his foot down on the whole waiting a year thing, and you can see who won that fight! And I'm soooo glad he won!
5. First kiss? A few days after our second first date. We went to a fireside together and then came back and sat in the car for about an hour. The whole time, I'm giving him every possible signal that I can think of that yes, indeed, I wanted those lips, but after trying every clue, I gave up and figured that he wasn't going to make the move that night. I was pretty bummed! Then he walked me to my door and to my very pleasant surprise, he planted one on me and it was pretty much heaven! And every kiss since then has been pretty much heaven, I must say!
6. Where did you get engaged? Chris came home from work early on a Friday and told me he wanted to go hiking. So, we went to Olive Garden (where we had our first first date -- is that getting confusing yet?) and got take out and headed up Provo Canyon. It was getting later in the afternoon/evening and I remember Chris was just practically running up the mountain. I was so annoyed because I didn't even feel like we were enjoying the hike because he was going so fast, so I even stopped at one point and got mad at him. I'm so oblivious and had no idea that I was pitching a fight with someone who was about to propose to me! Haa! So, we finally made it to the top of Stuart Falls and after eating a little dinner, and at just the right moment as the sun was setting and absolutely gorgeous, Chris asks me to get something out of our bag and when I turn back around, there is a box with the most gorgeous ring in it, staring right back at me! Chris then got down on his knee on the rocks, with the waterfall behind us and the sunset in front of us and asks me to marry him! I was so excited, I forgot to say yes! Then, he had downloaded some of our favorite songs on his palm pilot, and we danced and just held each other! It was sooo romantic and such an amazing moment for me! And I am still amazed that we were not interrupted even once by any other hikers! It was like that spot was all ours for that one special evening!
7. Where did you get married? At the Mount Timpanogos temple in American Fork on August 9th, 2002. The best decision and the best day of my life!
8. How did the reception go? It was WONDERFUL! Such a fun night to be shared with so many special friends and family! And to top it off, the temperature dropped 15 degrees on the day we were married, so instead of the blistering hot August outdoor reception we were anticipating, it was a very comfortable summer evening!
9. Where did you go on your honeymoon? Sydney, Australia! And I didn't have a clue until we pulled up to the curb at the airport and Chris handed me my ticket! What an amazing place to visit with my new hubby!
10. Do you have a song? There are a lot we love together that have special meaning to us, but cheesy as it is, our song is "This I Promise You" by N'Sync. Yes, we have a boy band song, I know, but we just connected with the words and felt like they told our story!
And there you have it, the story of us, in all it's cheesy, but wonderful glory!! Oh yeah, and I now tag anyone who wants to share their story! Please share, please share!





9 Comments:
How sweet! I am so jealous right now. I hope that I get to share a similar love story one day. Hopefully in the near future and not when I have gray hair;)
cute story... It was more fun to hear in person though with you and Chris interrupting and inserting your own versions :) So glad you guys found each other, and eventually moved in next door to us...
Did I just read that you both love N*SYNC?
I'm going to go back and read that part again.
cjane, who DIDN'T love N'sync?! haaa! i know, i know -- i still laugh at myself over it! though, in my defense, it wasn't the actual boy band that we loved, just that particularly CHEESY song! is it wrong to sometimes wish to change our song?! maybe to a backstreet boys jam? :)
I remember the first time we met Chris (well I remember our thoughts about him, maybe not exactly WHERE we met--maybe my house at Christmas?). Anyway, I remember thinking what a great, fun, and nice guy he was after just 30 min of talking, and Tim felt the same way! I only wish we were closer to hang out more, but I am so happy that you found such a wonderful man!
Thanks Karli, I really enjoyed reading this!
Thanks for sharing this! It was fun to hear the details. :)
That was fun! Thanks for sharing. Jill
So much juicy, new information about you and Chris. What a perfect match! I'm going to do this too.
Post a Comment
<< Home