RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: Change -- the good and scary and HARD kind

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Change -- the good and scary and HARD kind

So, my life in the next month:

Give a talk and plan a fireside for the same day at church this coming Sunday.
Get everything ready for Kaiya's court date, sealing, and blessing, which will all be going down over the course of a few short days, just over two weeks from now! (can I just say, THRILLING!?!)
Put our house up for sale.
Keep our house constantly clean for people to come look at the house.
Sell our house (or pray mightily for a miracle to sell our house).
Start packing, but only halfway, since we will be having lots of company in the next few weeks.
After the company has gone, pack up the rest of the house!
Quit my job (first time not having a job in 10 years!)
Support Chris while he starts a new job and has to to be gone from us during the week (I already miss him and he hasn't left yet!)
Say good-bye to my parents as they leave on their mission (how is it possible to feel so much excitement for them and so much sadness at the same time?!)
Move to a completely foreign new area. (Where is Target? Walmart? The mall? And what about my beloved favorite restaurant, Magleby's?)
Leave everything that is comfortable to me.
Leave some of our best friends. Who also happen to live next door. (How often do you live next door to the coolest people in the world?!)

Do you ever have those times in life where there is this totally exciting and wonderful opportunity, which you know is right and so good, but it requires you to sacrifice some of the most important things you have and make BIG changes?! Man, I guess I am not good with change because I am having such a hard time with all the good and exciting changes that are coming our way. It maybe doesn't make sense, because it's like these are such good things that are happening, right? Maybe it's the fact that they all seem to be happening at once and I am completely overwhelmed. Maybe it's the fact that I am just so content and comfortable in my life right at this moment...well, I was that way up until about a week ago! Maybe it's fear of the unknown. For sure, it is not being able to walk next door and have dinner and talk and laugh and share. Although every part of my heart feels so thankful for the opportunities that have come our way in the last few weeks, it also seems that I have spent a lot of moments in tears! It is crazy what a bit (or a lot) of change will do to your emotions! I hope I am not sounding totally dramatic, but I seriously am having such a hard time with everything! Well, I guess the next step is to just dive in and hang on tight!

17 Comments:

Blogger Mugs said...

Whoah! This is not small stuff! Especially saying goodbye to parents...and moving...and quitting work...and holy crap. Forget it. There is no "especially" on this list. One thing is for sure Karli - You and Chris will be blessed with every new turn. You are one of the most amazing couples I know...and I know that folks like you are always carefully watched over.

BTW: happy almost-anniversary of the first day we met spolecnice. :) (2/16)

"Hi! I'm Camille!"

"Hi! I'm Karli!"

And we were on a first-name basis for about two days until our roomates told us we needed to call each other "sister". Haha! I actually think we would've been Camille & Karli the whole time if we weren't gently rebuked.

I love you!

10:42 AM  
Blogger the splendid life of us... said...

This makes me shudder, because I felt all of this when we moved from Oregon to Montana. I have never lived away from my parents and outside of Oregon. I had a good life with lots of friends and loved our ward. We just started the adoption process and new our chances of being placed in Montana were extremely slim. But all in all I knew it was right, so I pushed through it and as soon as we got here it was like I could breath again. And we found our sweet little McCoy, which we came to find out is the only reason we were to move here!
So HOLD ON and PUSH THROUGH! It won't be long before you can take a sigh of relief!

Where are you moving to?

10:58 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Oh Kar, Just reading this makes me cry AGAIN, for what the 100th time in the last week! I've tried so hard to just put this all out of my mind 'cause I just don't even want to think about the idea of you guys not being right there, it about kills me. I keep thinking of random things I can't wait to do together in the spring/summer... and then I remember... PLEASE DON"T GO :)!!!

I'm so sorry that this is all happening at once, I can't even imagine. Please let me help you in whatever way possible. We only get to be neighbors for a few more weeks, lets take advantage of that!! We love, love, love you guys!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Janessa Couch said...

This is the way that we felt when we moved from Hanford to Oregon. We had my sister and brother here, but we were going to experience so many new things. It was terrifing and yet it turned out the be the best thing for our family. We have found our little place in this world and I believe we will stay here forever. Good luck in your new adventures! (Hey a good selling point is that they will have great neighbors) :)

12:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Where are you moving to? or did I miss that part. I know how you feel- I had to keep my house clean for 5 months, while throwing up and prego. It was hard. I will pray for you to sell your house- we were so blessed to sell ours. Everything will go good because you are good people so there!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Holladay Family said...

Are you moving into your parents house while they are gone? Did your hubby get a new job? Any of the above would be HUGE changes! I hope your home sells quickly. With CJane moving and you...The rest of the cool people will have to move too. Hope your new adventures find you much happiness and joy along the way!

2:14 PM  
Blogger Elisa said...

I think I missed something too! Where are you moving. I remember your feelings all to well. It's been almost a year for us. I was so scared to move away from my ward. It ended up being a really good move for us. You would not believe how many children in are ward are adopted. Calli will have friends around her that can relate. We have been so blessed and I know you will be too. I know even good change is scary. Remember back to how scary it was to come home from you mission. I made myself sick with stress. Our prayers will be with you to help you with all the change.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

You are moving! Where have I been? Where too? I can't believe all that is going on for you right now. I pray that everything works out for as you desire. I have to admit that I am a lover of change. Everything you talked about sounds exciting! I think it will be a great adventure and you will meet new people, keep in touch with the old, and who knows what will come your way!

3:28 PM  
Blogger The Moon's said...

Hey Karli,

Crazy how as humans we can experience such contradicting emotions at the exact same time....but once everything really gets moving just enjoy the ride. This is a time where you will be able to look back and laugh about. Create fun out of as much of it as you can. We have moved several times in the last few years and being in the military we know that we will move several more. My advice would be to make your house a home as quick as possible, it makes the rest of the transition much smoother. Sometimes it seems like putting family pictures is the last thing you want to think it about, but they are items that help ground us and unite us in the trial.

You will do wonderful and I have no idea where you are going, but the Pacific Northwest would love to see you move up here! Someday we should chance to meet!

someone once gave me a card that read.....it will all be okay in the end, if it's not okay-it's not the end.

Good luck and know that we are all here to help you through!!!!

4:13 PM  
Blogger julie said...

I can totally relate to the stress of change. In fact I think most people can. Where are you moving? I must have missed that detail too. Sometimes in life we just have to take those giant leaps of faith knowing we are doing the right thing! Don't worry the man in charge will fill in the gaps for you and everything will turn out the way it is supposed to.

7:14 AM  
Blogger A Little Sass said...

What? You are moving? Did I miss the big announcement? Best of luck to you. I am with you .. I am not so good with change. The unknown is so scary but in the end you are a better person for it. We will miss you oh so much!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Jamie and Family said...

Yeah, Kar, fill us in!

Don't underestimate the HUGENESS of each of those things separately, let alone all smashed in together!!! Wow! Change, even good change, is SOOOOO hard. Hard enough to want to NOT do it, even when its right.

Take deep breaths and prioritize. You are truly entering a new phase of life with all these changes.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Cari said...

Emma is already missing Kaiya! We have really enjoyed having her visit with us. Please let us know if we can do anything to help out during this crazy time in your life. I can't imagine going through everything at once! Really, we're here if you need anything!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Grammy said...

Well, I think maybe you better fill all of us in on this move. They (who is they?) say we are supposed to only have one major change per year to stay sane. Well, I guess you guys are on your way to crazy! I know it will all be good. Sometimes it can be really cleansing to just start out fresh - though it does put us way out of our comfort zone. I must say that our move to Phoenix has been really good for all of us that are here. However, we miss our family back in Utah like crazy! Keep us posted. Love to you...

2:40 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Oh, I SOOOO know the feeling! (Bill and I still debate if it is 12 or 13 moves total since we were married) You will do great, and it's amazing how great friendships just keep getting better, even with distance. (blogging seriously helps, no kidding! oh, and a good headset for your phone) Once I realized this, (after 5 moves) I stopped crying when I said goodbye. :) I have learned some tricks of the trade with moving, so if you need any helpful advice, email me, I will help if I can. One thing, make sure you contact RS pres, before you move, they can put you in touch with other young moms who can share super helpful info like parks, playgroups, shopping, schools, doctors, etc. If you don't know exactly which house you are moving into, you can still do this, just pick a stake, they are so helpful, even if you don't end up moving in their boundaries. I can't tell you how nice this has been each time we have moved, I know the difference of not having it, and it's big. Also, keep a few of your favorite decorations easily accessable so you can put them up right away. It helps ease the anxiety while you unpack all the other boxes, if you have a few special things that make you feel at home already out. (I have found this to be ESPECIALLY helpful when moving with kids, they sleep better in a strange room with a few of their decor items in it among the boxes) Moving with kids, (Kayia and Chase), will bring out boldness and strength you didn't know you had. Good luck, and seriously, email me if you have any questions! (Jamie has my address)

2:40 PM  
Blogger NAT said...

Wow, you have SO much going on! Where are you moving to? Change can be a strange, yet, wonderful thing. I think the mission taught us that. Switching companions and/or areas all the time was always an adjustment for me, but I was always grateful for those changes because I learned something new - not to mention the fact that I met new and wonderful people. You're a strong girl and will get through this. Prayer always helps too. :)

12:29 PM  
Blogger Wanderingfamilies said...

Where are you moving to?!

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones