RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: And so it begins...

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

And so it begins...

Tomorrow we start a whirlwind weekend full of special events in our lives and the life of our sweet baby girl. It's so hard to believe that six months has gone by since we welcomed her into the world, and now here we are, ready to make it all complete and final! Whew, talk about emotional! (I can't even really see what I'm typing right now because of all the happy tears!) Of course there are lots of nervous, anxious butterflies fluttering around in my stomach for the upcoming events, but mostly there is just such peace and joy knowing what this all means to our family! Tomorrow morning we head to court where the judge will legally finalize Kaiya's adoption and turn custody of her over to us from the state. Saturday we head to the temple to seal her to our eternal family. Then Sunday, we will bless her at church. Talk about incredible and a little emotionally overwhelming (in the best of ways)! We are soooo excited!
I have been working on this poem to put in Kaiya's scrapbook of all these events. It's very amatuer, but I tried to express emotions close to my heart pertaining to the miracle of Kaiya coming to our family and the blessing of meeting Jessika and all that she has given to us. She is very much on our minds as we approach such special moments as we know that we would have none of this without her. We love her more than we could ever express.

Moments

There are moments in life where time stands still,
And it seems there aren’t words to say what you feel.
Moments forever engraved on your soul
When empty spaces are filled and all at once you feel whole.

Over the course of recent life-changing days,
We’ve been allowed moments which altered us in many ways.
How could we know just how much those moments would mean?
How lives would intertwine in the midst of hard things.

For many years those empty spaces were hallow, raw and sad
Two young people longing to become mom and dad.
So many prayers said, and countless tears shed,
The heartache released during sleepless nights in bed.

A whisper of the Spirit gently spoke to our hearts,
Presenting us an option, a new place to start.
So we followed what we felt, and we made our choice,
We knew that adoption would carry our voice,

To the heart of another with her own heavy load to bear,
A different kind of struggle would lead her to where
That moment would find us all in one place,
Brought together in a room to finally meet face to face.

A young girl with a heart as beautiful as gold,
As beautiful as the face we had come to behold,
Came to tell us the news, she had a gift for us alone,
A gift to change our lives, of her flesh and bone.

For in a moment that changed HER life, you see,
She made the choice to share the life of her growing baby.
In those moments she bravely spoke the words we longed to hear,
We would finally have a child, the end of wishful tears.

We spent the coming months in anticipation and joy,
Getting the room ready, buying clothes and toys.
We also spent many moments with that precious golden girl,
Getting so close to this person who was changing our world.

And then before we knew it, at the hospital there we were
Awaiting the priceless moment of the arrival of our girl.
4:50 a.m., August 14th, 2007,
The moment our girl entered mortality, still clothed in heaven.

You were the most beautiful light our eyes had ever seen,
So perfectly full of softness, innocent and clean.
Your very breath was a sound so revitalizing to our ears,
Your body and spirit filling empty arms after so many years.

The tiniest of fingers, and roundest little toes,
Petite arms and legs, perfect little nose,
Your “kissing lips” struck me, as small whimpers gently came
Our easy flowing tears and kisses could hardly be contained.

And in a humble moment, as our two families sat in wonder
I looked around the room at faces older and younger
This was one of many moments, through our experiences I had come to know
When the Spirit was in abundance, filling that room with His warming glow.

The room could not contain the love that we each felt
We knew that in your pre-existence you made your Father melt.
And through His tender mercy and constant, watchful care
He made His decision that with all of us He would share,

His special, choice beloved daughter, a spirit strong and true.
He wisely knew the love of one family simply would not do.
So through miracles and prayers and works only He could perform,
He gave you TWO families; unique, special and outside of the “norm”.

In His perfect love, under His perfect plan,
He said in perfect wisdom, “They cannot do it, but I can.”
“I can answer two very different sets of prayers,
And send you to a place where you will never want for care.”

That is how we knew in that moment that you arrived
That God was watching over us, your birth-mom, your dad and I.
That your very special journey in coming to this earth
Was planned even before we all prayed for your birth.

And now after six months of you filling our cup to overflowing
We approach another special moment where the heaven in you will again be showing.
We will go to court to legally finalize what for us has always been fact
That you are our child, meant for us by God’s merciful act.

We then take you up the hill, to the Mountain of the Lord,
Where in the temple, the Priesthood power binds us with its’ cord.
In that precious moment time will again stand still in eternity
When upon the alter you will be sealed to your daddy and me.

And in that special moment, when in white we all are dressed
We will think of our golden girl, with the golden heart in her chest.
And we will hope that you and she feel of our deep abiding love
The kind of love God willed to be shared from our home above.

These sacred moments in our lives have come because of you,
You now influence every thing we say and do.
You are the gift that someone special gave, and we gratefully took
The special moments you have brought could fill up countless books.

Now in every moment of life that for you is in store
May you feel of the love of your TWO families and even more,
The love of your Father who sent you to be
The light of our lives, an eternal family now are we!
So, we'll be saying lots of prayers as we go to bed tonight, that all will go well and smooth and that tomorrow morning, Kaiya will legally be what she already is in our hearts and in our home -- our beautiful, sweet, baby girl!

26 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

This was incredibly touching. Especially since my brother and his wife adopted a newborn yesterday. What a wonderful miracle it is.

Such a special gift to give to your daughter. I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

9:26 PM  
Blogger The Valentine Fam said...

Oh my goodness Karli...that was great! I'm all teary now. What a sweet gift for a sweet girl. Your hearts must be about ready to explode. Good luck tomorrow.

9:44 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

You've done it again!
I am bawling.
What a sweet poem to express such tender feelings.
I hope you all have such a wonderful weekend!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Elisa said...

Now I will try to type through the tears. That poem is beautiful. I want to steel it and just change a few words for Calli. Don't worry I won't. I'm still trying to come up with the letter I want to write for Calli. It's comforting to read your thoughts. It has helpped inspire me. THANKS! Our prayers will be with your family tomorrow and I will see ya'll on Sat. I can't wait!

10:02 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Beautiful poem! Enjoy every moment of your exciting weekend!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Eliza2006 said...

An early CONGRATS!!! I won't be able to make to to the sealing, but I'm going to try my hardest to come to her blessing. I can't believe your stake center is my old church building. Small world! Good luck the weekend.

Tiffany

11:01 PM  
Blogger Jamie and Family said...

Karli, I am so incredibly happy for you guys! And am not surprised you could write such a beautiful and touching (priceless!) poem for Kaiya! I loved it, thank you for sharing something so precious. I so wish I could be at the sealing this weekend. Enjoy every little moment of it!

11:46 PM  
Blogger Jade said...

SO BEAUTIFUL KARLI!!!! I am really happy for you guys, what a special family! Jessika is an angel, I hope she has an amazing life.

2:22 AM  
Blogger Marc and Megan said...

WOW! That poem is SO BEAUTIFUL!! What a gift you have! Thank you for sharing it... my heart was deeply touched while reading it.

Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers today and in the next few days... I hope you're blessed to soak up all the feelings that will come during these incredibly special moments. :)

8:39 AM  
Blogger Wanderingfamilies said...

Happy, happy day! See you on Saturday!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am crying- that was so great. You two really deserve this. Kaiya is so blessed to have you! I am so sad we will miss the events this weekend. We will be there is spirit. We love you.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Carlotta said...

I don't know if I can type right now or even make sense! I am SOBBING!! Wow Karli, to be able to put such tender emotions into words is a gift. I don't know how you do it. I wish I could at times. I can't and it feels frustrating. I just like vicariously through others. I find it so ironic to have grown up with you and to have my little girl be born a week after yours and to be part of this special journey at the same time. Life has turns that you never expect. Because of families like yours and the Hanfts and the r house I can feel ok sharing and encouraging others to place. Families like the ones I have met help us birth moms heal in ways that words cannot express. Thank you is not enough. What you have given to Jess in return is priceless just like what Elisa has given me in return cannot be expressed. To see my little girl loved and cherished helps me to sleep at night and to be able to function each day. Amazing how I can hand " a complete stranger" ,but not really , another life and feel complete peace. That's when you KNOW without any question a Higher Power is in charge and that Heavenly Father knows exactly what is going on. He is aware of each detail. I have truly realized that he IS aware of me personaly. It seems so long ago yet it has gone by faster then I thought it would. AH 6months!!!! THANK YOU .

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats you guys. All of you. What a great journey. All the best for this weekend with everything!

10:53 AM  
Blogger A Little Sass said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to hear all about your weekend. I can only imagine how full your heart is! You will be in my thoughts and prayers!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Mugs said...

"The tiniest of fingers, and roundest little toes,

Petite arms and legs, perfect little nose,

Your “kissing lips” struck me, as small whimpers gently came

Our easy flowing tears and kisses could hardly be contained."

I think it was this verse where I was acutally wiping away snot bubbles. OH KARLI! This is beautiful! You are AMAZING. I'm so honored to know you.

Jessika, if you read this....THANK YOU, THANK YOU! You touched so many lives in the process...ones you aren't even aware of.

Finally, Karli. When my brother and sister-in-law were sealed to Holland she was then considered to be their own flesh and blood. This little one was always yours. Always.

Need to go blow my nose now. I love you.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Richelle said...

That is beautiful! Congrats! I hope you have a wonderful time this weekend!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Oh Kar, That was beautiful! I hope this weekend is wonderful and filled with only the best moments and memories. We are so thrilled to be able to be a part of such a special day. We love you and your sweet family so much!

1:58 PM  
Blogger the splendid life of us... said...

What an amazingly beautiful poem and gift for your little Kaiya! I am so excited for you to have that sweet little girl forever! It gives me goosbumps to think about it! I am just so excited for you!

I blog stock leah wrights blog, because of her beautiful photography and I saw the beautiful pictures she took of you guys!

Good luck and congrats!

Brenley

3:54 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Wow! You are so creative in so many ways. I wish you guys the best of luck.

3:56 PM  
Blogger britt said...

what do you mean amateur, that was so tender and personal and perfect! Kaiya is such a lucky girl to have such an amazing mommy! And I am lucky to have such an amzing sister. I am so looking forward to this weekend! Love you

9:25 PM  
Blogger NAT said...

Karli, that was amazing. YOU are amazing. I am so incredibly happy for you and your beautiful family. Thank you for your example.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to the sealing. I'm so sorry and really wanted to share that special time with you. Unless some emergency comes up, I will be at the blessing, though.

Thank you for sharing that incredible poem.

Thank you, Jessika, for your courage and sweet soul. You are an amazing girl.

I love you, Grovers!

6:08 AM  
Blogger Cari said...

What a beautiful post! You certainly have a way of expressing yourself in such a sweet and loving way. I'm so happy for you!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Janessa Couch said...

It is truly amazing how Heavenly Father knows exactly what you are going through. He knew all along what he was doing. He was preparing such a sweet angel to come into such a caring and wonderful home. I have always looked up to you Karli, and this poem proves to me, once again, what an amazing person you are and always have been. Words can not express how happy I am for you. Jessica is such an amazing girl.

12:38 PM  
Blogger The Bastian's said...

Karli, that was so beautiful. What a special gift for your baby girl! I can't wait to see you guys in a few hours!! I love you all so much!

1:13 AM  
Blogger Ani said...

What a beautiful, heartfelt poem for your little girl. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing it with us.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

kar, i loved that poem. it was PERFECT! thanks for letting us be apart of this wonderful weekend. it certainly will always hold a special place in my heart. we love you guys!

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones