Getting better, slowly but surely
Kaiya is getting a little bit better with eating solid foods. We first introduced solids a few months ago and she wanted nothing to do with it. We tried different kinds, and consistently tried to introduce it to her, knowing that so much of the struggle is not knowing what the heck to do with something other than a bottle. After a few weeks of her (and us) being frustrated at every try, we decided to take a break and reintroduce solids a bit later. We have picked it back up again in the last few weeks or so, this time in her high chair and it seems to be going a lot better. She still doesn't quite know what to do with her tongue or the food once it gets in her mouth, but she seems to be enjoying it more this time around. Bananas were the food of choice this week and I think she likes 'em! In all babies' defense, it must be a strange thing to have these new foreign substances with such different textures and tastes spooned into your mouth. And a spoon? What on earth is that thing?! I'm sure once she gets the hang of HOW to eat, things will get easier and she will begin to eat more. For now, I'm just happy to see her smiling during her eating time, and that it isn't such a miserable experience for her as it was before. Here's to pureed goodness, baby!
And of course, what would be a good meal if it weren't followed by some seriously enjoyable bath time?





8 Comments:
I'm so glad that she is starting to like it better. I found with Calli that she will only eat it if I mix everything with her oatmeal. I'm sure it is a really weird thig to have mom and dad shoving weird stuff in your mouth. Watch out though Calli has already started to try and take things out of my hands. She is a food girl She really loves graham crackers.
it is really on "their time" and in their own way, is what I have learned, especially with Ash-who has been different than the other two.
It is fun though, isn't it, to see their reaction to everyhting NEW.
way to go Kaiya!
I know all kids are different and you know what's best for Kaiya, but I thought I'd share my experience with baby food. With my first couple of kids, I gave them the fruits first and they got used to the sweetness. It was really hard to get them to eat vegetables after that. My suggestion might be to try a vegetable next time. She might not like it so much at first but I'd try it mixed with cereal. Just a suggestion... :)
She'll get the hang of it, eventually. I started Emma off with the orange veggies: sweet potatoes & carrots. I then moved on to the dreaded "greens." My pediatrician suggested starting off with the veggies first and then the fruits 'cause they definitely like the sweet taste of fruit better.
You're doing a great job with Kaiya and it's all just trial and error. I know that my little Emma even has a hard time with "table food" at times, because I think the textures are still a little weird for her, even now. She's kind of picky. So, I have to resort to the baby food veggies every once in a while just to make sure she gets them! It's all such a learning experience with your first one, I swear. I still feel clueless sometimes. Hang in there..she'll figure it out and realize that there is life out there besides formula! :)
P.S. Her little baby bath is so cute! She's a little doll.
Our doctor said that patience was key with the solids thing. At this stage they're still getting their nourishment from the bottle and the introduction of solids is just to get them used to the spoon and textures - so you all have the right approach! Easy does it, and she will get the hang of it.
Go Kaiya!
I think it is hilarious that they gag on baby food. It has no texture but must be a weird thing. Cooper nor Savannah ever ate rice cereal. They hated it- we went right to the good stuff. Cooper didn't last long and I started feeding him table food- even thought he didn't get his first tooth until he was 1.
she is darling, i miss her so much and you guys too of course! i am sure you guys are busy but when you get a chance, give me a call. miss ya!
Post a Comment
<< Home