RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: Dirty Job

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Dirty Job

So, Karli, how did you spend your Saturday?
Well, I participated in my own version of the show Dirty Jobs. Let me elaborate.
It has been nice with all the snow this year, pretending that our dog doesn't go to the bathroom every day, because, well, the snow is a great cover up. But alas, the snow has melted and what did we find underneath all that white goodness?! LANDMINES!! Big, smelly landmines, completely covering our backyard! If you ever find yourself sitting on the fence about whether or not you should get a dog, it might be a good idea for you to read this post! It's the reality of having a dog in your family!

I volunteered for the Dirty Job on Saturday because Chris always does it, and I figured I should probably take a turn. Only my turn included about 4 months worth of the dirty deed Chase does every day (sometimes twice a day) in the backyard. And you know how big he is, so you can only imagine how big EVERYTHING else is! I started thinking as I began my hour long episode of Dirty Jobs, that between Chase and Kaiya, I will realistically spend much of the next several years of my life being a pooper scooper. A small price to pay for having two of my greatest loves in my life, but a Dirty Job nonetheless. Then I hear Chris (who so kindly decided to help with the Dirty Job), over in the other corner of the yard, lecturing Chase, saying "Do you know how nice you have it? We feed you, we bathe you, we run you, we walk you, and then when that is all done, we clean up your crap too! What do you do for us, Mr. Chase?" During this whole episode, do you know what Chase was doing? He was laying in the grass, basking in the sun, watching us without a care in the world. This actually made me laugh, because the scene was pretty pathetic. The two of us, picking up bags of poop while the dog lays there in lazy bliss. (And no these are not bags of trash, they are two FULL bags of you know what! Is it me or does Chase even seemed grossed out by his own poop?!)
To answer Chris' question, because Chase must have thought it was rhetorical, considering his silence on the matter, what does Chase do for us? Though he is like having another child, and requires almost as much time and attention, he makes us HAPPY. He gives us the most instant gratification because at any given second, he is thrilled to be near us, thrilled that we are around, and so eagar to please. He is so much apart of our family, we can't imagine life without him. And you know what else he does? He makes Kaiya laugh every day. She absolutely adores him, like I've never seen a baby adore an animal before. Chase protects us, he is loyal to us, and he is a great cuddler. I know there are plenty of people out there who have no desire for a dog, and it is completely understandable. They are A LOT of work. The shedding, the spots on the carpet, the POOP, etc., etc. But the rewards are pretty dang sweet too, and any effort that is required on our part to take care of our horse of a dog, comes back to us in so many more ways. This sweet guy has been with us through a lot of hard times and we love and adore him. Simple as that! I love that Kaiya will grow up with an instant best friend and that he will always take good care of her and us.

So, even though Saturday was about the Dirtiest Job ever, I'll do it for as long as I need to for this sweet member of our family! We love ya, Chaser, even if you are full of crap...literally!

16 Comments:

Blogger Sydney said...

Oh how I echo your sentiments, Kar--we just got a TON of snow (check out the new pics) so looks like the poop-scooping has been delayed again. We can't even go in the backyard to play b/c we are afraid of all of the land mines!

Cute pics!

5:16 PM  
Blogger NAT said...

I can't believe how much poop there was! Wowza! You're worth it, though, little Chasers. What a sweet dog. Sometimes Emma acts embarrassed or holds her nose when I'm changing her poopy diaper and I just say, "It's okay, Emma. Everyone goes poop. It's just part of life and we have to, or else we get sick." :)

7:31 PM  
Blogger Kalli Ko said...

Boy do I hear the tune you're singing. I think Gus poops out his body weight in dumps about once per week. Lucky for me I can guilt my hub into picking it up. We keep a poop bucket in the back yard and guess who had to empty it last time?


ew.

but we love him, shedding and all. He and Chase would probably be BFF.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

that would take lucy her entire life to fill 2 bags full like that. way to go chase!

8:20 PM  
Blogger britt said...

that was quite an entertaining and enlightening post. seeing how we don't have that kind of pooper. but i do understand the days full of just cleaning up poop. luckily one of ours is finding a better place for it!
when you get a break from poop scoopin' give me a call!

8:40 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Your kidding about those bags right? Right?

9:33 PM  
Blogger Cari said...

You know, as I was reading this I kept thinking that even though I've changed diapers for 18 of the 20 years I've been married, I'd do it over again before I'd want to pick up 4 months of doggie doo! Yikes! You really must love him! But with a face like his, who couldn't?

10:05 PM  
Blogger Oliverson Family said...

Thank you for reminding me why I don't own a dog. I have a hard enough time with the guacamole bombs of my own chitlens.

10:14 PM  
Blogger The Valentine Fam said...

Been there! I don't envy you at all. Jed usually takes on this job, but I do help on occasion!

Sorry I missed the farwell party yesterday. I wanted to come, but had to take care of a sick hubby!

6:03 AM  
Blogger Janessa Couch said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Janessa Couch said...

We love to watch Dirty Jobs. I think that the reason that we got a miniature poodle is just so that we do not have to pick up that mess, no matter what size, it still is not fun. Having a kitty litter box for our cat is gross also. Cute post!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

THere goes Chase making you proud again!! Seriously though, that's amazing! We're going to miss Chase, especially Ryley Mae,You'll have to bring him down for visits now and then...

9:13 AM  
Blogger Mugs said...

What a good buddy!! Anything worth it is worth all the hard work, I suppose. :) Two giant bags worth anyway. Chasing after Chase's crap is one of life's little adventures.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Carlotta said...

If I could only find or create a doggy diaper I would have a dog. =) Or maybe I will wait till my peanut it "willing" to clean it up. Good ole Chase. He is a good dog. They are unconditional.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

HAHA! That is one of the things I do NOT miss about our sweet Wayne. I just went around and picked up all that old stuff so the kids could play soccer. YUCK. Your Chase is a sweetie though, we love our neighbors coco-lab. Jade takes her out for walks afterschool, she weighs about 35 lbs more than Jade, but she is so good. Labs are angels!

4:45 PM  
Blogger Jamie and Family said...

For some reason I just barely read this and I had to tell you how funny this post was! We have a dog, but her "crap" is so little it does not produce quite the ordeal that Chase's does! You're such a good sport about things. And hilarious!

Dogs really are a part of the family and it will be so nice that Kaiya won't get freaked out by other animals. I'm always amazed at how many kids who come over are freaked out and hysterical by our tiny dog!

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones