Big girls don't cry...oh, but they do!
Gosh, I am starting to think this blog is a journal of all the crying I have been doing lately! I do hereby solemnly swear that my future posts will not be so wet and salty...except for this one! Bear with me one more time!
Yesterday was time to say our goodbye's to my mom and dad as they left for India. I had such battling emotions, as I could not be more thrilled and excited for them, but also so incredibly sad to see them go. So, we spent a few days enjoying every minute we could together. They snuck out of the MTC (there's not much sneaking involved, when you are a senior couple -- you pretty much do as you please!) to take us to the most DELICIOUS Indian food restaurant on Center Street in Provo, and had a great time talking to the family who runs the restaurant. They learned a few words, which they quickly forgot, and got filled in on a few things to expect when they get there. We spent a lot of time talking. And of course, they got in some good play time with Kaiya-bear.
Then it was time for the tears. LOTS of them. (I inherited my mom's overflowing tear ducts, so you can imagine the scene when she and I got started!) Kaiya even cried, but I'm pretty sure it was because she was tired. But we like to think it was because she is going to miss gma and gpa :)
It has been so neat to watch them go through their MTC experience and to see the excitement and anticipation that they are feeling. I remember so clearly those emotions in the final days before I left for my mission. It is a strange thing to be sending my PARENTS out, though I guess it is our turn since they have done it so many times for us! I feel so proud of them for having the courage and obedience to do something like this! I'm sure there will be many more missions in their future, so I better get used to it!
I have really been thinking a lot about my relationship with my parents. As I have gotten older and have started a family of my own and started making my own "grown-up" life, there has been a shift in that relationship that I have shared with my mom and dad. Of course I still seek their counsel and advise and wisdom on a regular basis (because I couldn't do without it and it has supported me throughout my entire life), but much more than that, I have developed such a special friendship with them. There is such a mutual respect and a shared interest in the events of each other's lives. I have so enjoyed having them live close by where we could get together regularly and laugh and talk and share as adults. Though I will always respect and love them as my parents, I have come to also really appreciate deeply the friendship that I feel with each of them. That is what I will miss constantly while they are away.
Another thing that I am finding is really pricking my heart in seeing them leave is how much I will miss watching them be grandma and grandpa to Kaiya. There is something so unique and so special about the love grandparents have and share with their grandchildren. How incredibly BLESSED I feel that they were able to be with Kaiya for these last 6 months, to spend so much time, attention and love on her, especially for her recent special days. They are so, so good to all their grandchildren and I know that was one of the hardest aspects for them in leaving.
How grateful I feel for such good parents, who have always and continue to be such good examples to their family of righteous living and service to God and those around them. We will miss them so much, the goodbye was very difficult, but I know that there is so much for them to do and such great and exciting things that await them. We love you, mom and dad. God be with you 'till we meet again.





11 Comments:
OK I just have to say... PERFECT timing! How fantastic is that that they were able to be here for all of this with little Kaiya!
My inlaws are on a mission in Japan right now and I know what you mean when you say it is sad for the grandkids... boy do they (grandparents) the kiddies sooo much!
What amazing parents you have too!
(sorry, i am getting a little comment happy here... 2 back to back)
So hard but so right! So many wonderful things lately I don't know how you can stand it:)
I'm sorry it was so hard, I can't even imagine. I'm excited to hear about all there incredible experiences, so be sure to keep us filled in.
Your parents are so awesome! I think it's even more of a sacrifice to go at that stage in life than at 19 or 21. My parents are in Australia right now, on their second mission... so I can completely relate to all the emotions and feelings of seeing them go. The Lord will be so kind in His blessings to them and your entire family. May He watch over and bless your parents in India.
I am really excited for them, I still can't get over how jealous I am that they have lived in China and are now going to India to serve, how incredibly awesome is that!?! They are living the dream we have. You know, they have websites designed for helping grandparents do the whole distant grandparenting thing. There are lots of ideas. They will be so busy on their mission, but it's amazing how little things like reading a book on a tape and sending it to a grandchild with their picture, it can make all the difference. My kids only saw grandparents maybe 4 times in the 5 years we lived overseas, but my daughter still developed such a good relationship with my parents because of the little things they did here and there, even though they were so busy. Those gifts that helped my parents keep a connection with my daughter meant more to her than all the pretty dresses and toys she would also get. Your parents are wonderful, I don't think they will feel that distant, even though they are so far away. I wish them the best! :)_
I can't even imagine how hard it was to say good bye! They will be home before you know it! Are you guys going to go visit them? I would love to go to India. I can't wait to hear about their mission. Thank goodness for the internet and cell phones. They won't feel SO far away!
Being a mom takes your relationship with your parents to a whole new level, doesn't it? It is completely amazing how much they love your children. Its such a support and strength. I'm sure leaving the grandkids is one of the hardest parts for them too! Wow, I mean INDIA!!!!?? Its incredible! Thank heavens for blogs and internet, huh?
And I agree and have enjoyed the shift from parent/child to friendship with parents. You can also understand so much more about yourself the more you get to know your parents as "people" instead of just "mom and dad". Ahhh, the evolution of life!
hey--no more of those tear-jerking posts. That was the first big cry I've had since I left U.S. soil. We love you Murfy
It is never fun to say farewell, but knowing they are serving the Lord helps...they will be blessed, you will be blessed...Kaiya is a so cute in pink!
I can only imagine how hard this is for you but blessings will come and I bet Kaiya will be so excited when they get back. ( I love that cutie!)
I am sure this has just been the craziest and most emotional time for you! I'm sorry that you're going through this, but also happy for all of the blessings both you and your parents will receive for their service in India.
On a side note, Kaiya is such a little doll and I love her outfit in these pictures.
P.S. Indian food is the greatest, so I'm sure they will be well fed. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home