RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: HELP!!

Monday, March 08, 2010

HELP!!

So, we are really loving our new ward (a smaller unit of our Church made up of people within a certain geographical area) here. Everyone has been sooo welcoming and kind and we already feel very comfortable when we go to church.

It also was not very long before we were given callings. This is a good thing, because I don't like to sit around too long and do nothing -- it's too easy to get comfortable with that.

Chris will be working in the Young Men's program again and will be the Assistant Scout leader. He is so good with the younger guys and is a lot of fun so I'm sure they are going to love having him around!

I will be in charge of Activity Day's with the 10-11 year old girls and will also teach their class at Church on Sunday's. I'm THRILLED with the calling, especially since I just served in Young Women's in our last ward (with the 12-13 year old Beehives). I really, really am excited, but also really quite unsure about it! Unsure, because I am feeling like I'm not really sure WHAT to do with this age group.

Soooo, if any of you have worked with this age and have some good ideas for activities (just to help me get started and get a feel for things), I would be so grateful for some comments or emails! ALL ideas welcomed! I have to hold my first activity in a week and I'm really not sure what to do!

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

7 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

Oh my goodness! Last summer Adam and I moved to maine for the summer and I had the exact same two callings as you have right now! I loved it!! I got to know the girls really well!! I started off with 3 girls then by week 3 I had close to 10 girls coming.It was an awesome calling. But here are some things we did and the GIRLS LOVED!!! Daddy daughter dinner, swimming, slip n slide, we made Journals (Im big into journals expecially at that age when they are becoming young women),I took the girls to visit elderly people that cant make it to church and sang some church hymns to them (the elderly LOVED that),We did a recipe exchanged where the girls made copies of their favorite recipe and then made it and brought some in to share with the other girls,I taught them how to lead music, did a Karaoke night to taylor swift haha!!! The girls LOVED that. I dont know there are some ideas that I can remember and the girls LOVED!!! I also wrote out a letter to the girls and parents at the first of each month of what activities we will be doing and if they needed to bring anything, the parents really liked that cause they could plan ahead. I hope this helps you out!! I loved and miss those two callings, they have so far been one of my FAVS!!! GOOD LUCK!!! Please feel free to ask me any questions, just go to my blog and leave a comment. Thanks,
Crystal

8:39 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

PS>for the Daddy Daughter dinner I had the girls decorate a box and bring their dinner in a box, cause there was a lot of girls that had special diets in my ward. Anyways it worked out great! Ahhh Ok I need to stop, haha!!!

8:42 PM  
Blogger britt said...

that does sound like a fun calling, but unfortunately I have zero experience in that area. It looks like you got some great feedback though, to get you going!
good luck and I KNOW you will do awesome with it!!

10:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was the leader for FOUR years. Can you believe that. I will email you some ideas.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Janessa Couch said...

What fun callings. I went to the activities since I was the presidency member over them and had to help the leaders come up with some fun activities that did not cost anything. We had 32 girls in activity days and our budget was $100 for the WHOLE YEAR!!! Needless to say, we did a lot of games and stuff that did not cost a penny. There are so many fun websites to help you out with activities like sugardoodle. The first activity I would do would be a get to know you activity. I would ask the girls to bring a brown sack with seven or so things in them that are about them so you can get to know them on that kind of level. You bring a bag also and they can get to know you also. It is a fun first activity and the girls have always enjoyed it. I was in charge of the Daddy Daughter and the Mother Daughter and we did some fun thing also. The daddy daughter was a dance that we had a guy in our ward who was a dance instructor teach the girls how to dance. The Mother Daughter we played the Newleywed game where you ask questions about their mother and the girls answer and vice versa. It was so funny to hear the answers. You have the best calling in the whole ward, just so you know!!! Have fun and the girls will have fun.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Janessa Couch said...

http://ldsactivitydayideas.blogspot.com/

http://www.hollyscorner.com/blog/lds-resources/primary/activity-days/

http://goanddoactivities.com/?page_id=410

Here are just a couple of the fun sites that you can go to. Have fun!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Eric, Kelly, Tyler, Xander, and Liam said...

I have been an Activity Days leader for 2 1/2 years and I absolutely love this calling!I have 16 girls. The girls this age are so dramatic and energetic and just cute!. They love to sing, dance, play games, and love to act out silly skits. I like to start out a new group or year with a Birthday party for all the girls and play get to know you games and have the girls draw portraits of another girl. It breaks the ice and you get to see how fun they really are. I also like to have a planning night. The girls look through their books and come up with some fun activities. We just had a crazy hair night and talked about good hygiene, grooming and good nutrition.

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones