RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: Don't want to jinx this, but...

Monday, June 15, 2009

Don't want to jinx this, but...

So, I can't remember if I have mentioned that little Tay has reflux...BAD. Needless to say, this has made it a difficult few weeks for her mainly, but also for us. She has been so incredibly uncomfortable, always twisting from the pain in her stomach, VERY difficult to console and just pretty miserable most of the time. For those of you who have had kids with severe reflux, you will know what I mean. It's not just some spit-up here and there. It is a lot of pain due to the acid, a lot of discomfort, and a lot of tears for these little babes, which makes it very sad for moms and dads to feel so helpless.I thought she had colic at first because she was just so unhappy and so hard to console. Luckily we have a GREAT doctor who says in his opinion doctors use colic as the cop-out diagnosis all too often and tell you there's nothing you can do about it. He was super thorough in his questioning of Taylor's condition and since he has had 3 of his own kids who have had reflux, he was able to spot it fairly easily. He put her on a medication called PrevAcid and told us that unfortunately it would take a few weeks for us to see if it is having any effect. So, we waited and it has seriously been a HARD few weeks. Taylor has just wanted to be held ALL the time, and would scream if she was not. And with a very active little sister, it just wasn't possible to give her that kind of attention, even though the mom in me wanted nothing more than to just comfort her ALL the time -- Kaiya would have probably burned the house down if that were the case! But worst of all was seeing Tay in so much pain. It broke my heart. Anyway, it has been a couple of weeks since we started her on the medication, and I am scared to write this because I fear I will jinx the whole thing, but we have seen HUGE improvement in the last few days! It has been heavenly, I must say! Taylor is sleeping soooo much more (like a newborn SHOULD be) and is soooo much more comfortable. She still spits up quite a bit, but I can handle that, as long as she seems to be feeling better. It really has been an answer to our prayers. And we're hoping that she continues to show improvement and can move past this in the coming months! I'm so grateful for the MANY blessings that have been given to our little Tay since her arrival because she has had to go through some rough days. She is one tough little cookie and we love her very much! By the way, the doctor is pretty sure that it was the reflux that stopped her breathing the night we brought her home from the hospital, so I'm grateful that we are able to treat this and identify what happened that night! (I have to laugh when I see this picture. Kaiya was really excited to hold Tay in her lap. By the time I got the camera out, though, she was so over it and wanting to play so she literally tried to shove Tay off her lap and off the couch! Whoa! Good thing daddy was there to stop that! The face tells it all, doesn't it?!)

13 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Oh my goodness!!! She is so precious, seriously Kar! So so glad that the meds are helping so quick, such a relief! Hopefully life is finding much more balance now...

2:48 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

so sorry about the reflux. My nephew has it bad, and can't keep anything down w/o daily meds. They thought that's what Eddie had for the first year of his life, but it ended up being allergies. (milk is one of them, and why he had reflux symptoms from the start) every doc thought reflux was the problem, maybe just keep that in the back of your mind as a possibility to rule out? Would have made life, not to mention his growth, A LOT better if we had known early on. I hope for your sake, it really is just reflux and she will outgrow it as she gets older. We even bought an Amby bed to help with reflux symptoms. If you ever get around to this area and want to try it out, you can borrow mine. If you don't know what it is, check http://www.ambybaby.com/ Eddie liked the bed, but grew out of it so fast since he was crawling at 5 mo. My nephew didn't like it, which is why it's sitting in my garage. Anyway, good luck!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Jamie and Family said...

Kar, that sounds SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard!!!!! I've never dealt with reflux, but heard horror stories of it. You must be ready to go crazy mixed with guilt seeing your baby so miserable!!!! So glad it seems to be working now *knock on wood*.

Thinking of you lots! Remembering how difficult it was for me to adjust to two kids under two. One of the hardest times of my parenthood so far, so hope you're hangin in there!!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Cari said...

I remember Elisabeth doing the same thing as Kaiya once. She was holding Jake and had enough and yelled, "Get this baby off me!"

Both your girls are so sweet. It was good to see you all. :) I hope Taylor is feeling better soon. That's rough on everyone!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Janessa Couch said...

I somewhat know what you mean. Lindsay had, what the Dr's called, colic. It was the same thing, but without so much spitting up. She wanted to be held and bounced constantly. Being the first child I was able to, but I was not a happy mom. It makes things really hard when they can't calm themselves down. The strange thing that I did to stop the colic is I stopped nursing and went to soy milk and it got rid of it.

I am so glad that the meds are working for her. She is such a doll and you deserve an easy baby! I hope that things just get better from here.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Allan and Diane said...

Dad came in the room and asked why I was licking the computer screen. I could SERIOUSLY gobble up Taylor. She is so darn cute!! And the look on Kaiya's face-PRICELESS! Trying to be loving but get her offffffffffffffff!

8:40 PM  
Blogger britt said...

that is such good news Kar! I hope it isn't a fluke and that it really is helping. Those pics are so darn precious. And I just love kaiya's expression! ha too funny :)
I can totally see both you and chris in her. What a cutie girl she is!!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Deetsgirl said...

I had to add a little mommy advice from someone that had a reflux preemie. Dr. Sears wrote a wonderful book about this and there are several holds that you can try that REALLY help soothe babies when they are having hard nights from reflux. Also, with my son I had to completely cut out onions for some reason that would pass thru even beyond the medicine from my breastmilk. Propping the bed up does help too. I am so glad that you have a good pediatrician. They are hard to find.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Bob and Becky said...

The pictures are so precious of your little angels. Bob and I laughed so hard when we read about Grandma Asplund lickin (or probably kissing) the computer screen....I pat it all the time...trying to get through to our little one. We love you.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

so sorry. Cooper had that if you remember. I am glad the medicine is helping because it didn't for Coop. His belly Button herniated from so much crying. I did give him Camomile tea occasionally and it helped a little. And- I remember walking by walls and finding spit up all the time that I had missed when he PROJECTILE vomited it all the time. And- Soy formula helped too. Good luck:)

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought you might like these links, they are for acid reflux children and the different formulas used and different experiences and 411. Take care.

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/acidreflux/a/0707_reflux_rx.htm

http://acidrefluxquestions.org/acid-reflux/which-formula-is-best-for-infant-with-acid-reflux-and-milk-allergy

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,420881,00.html

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a9662055/formula_for_acid_reflux

6:05 AM  
Blogger Grammy said...

I love those sweet photos at the end of your sleeping Tay. She is beautiful! So glad she is getting some relief. Mortality is hard enough without complications like reflux in a baby. Poor little angel! Love to you...

1:51 PM  
Blogger NAT said...

I hope that everthing continues to get better. Poor little girl...and poor Mommy & Daddy, too! She is so darling and so alert!

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones