RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: Life in 3 months

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Life in 3 months

Today Kaiya is 3 months old. I'm sorry, but until she turns one, I have no choice but to celebrate her monthly birthdays! I have been thinking all day today how I just can't believe that it has been 3 months since our angel entered our lives. Where has the time gone?! Well, a lot has happened in 3 months for our baby girl, so here's a small recap:
  • She has traveled to California, Idaho and Canada and through the mountains of Utah County :).
  • She has been a baked potato.
  • She had her first play date with the neighbors' 3 month old, Mia.
  • She has started a modeling career, thanks to her mom's obsessive picture-taking.
  • She has learned the value and importance of tummy time... Ok, no she hasn't . She hates it! But mom and dad are TEACHING her the value and importance of tummy time!
  • She has found her smile and readily uses it pretty much on cue or whenever someone tickles her chin or gives her a smile of their own.
  • She has enjoyed the spoiling of her grandparents.

  • She has heard loving prayers offered by her parents and been given blessings by very special men in her life.

  • She has ridden a Harley.
  • She has been the recipient of tender mercies and miracles from God and has been the most tender mercy and miracle that God ever provided to her parents.
  • She has seen the beautiful face of the voice she heard for nine months while growing and waiting to make her grand entrance into the world. That face and that voice will always be special to her -- I KNOW that.
  • She has found her hand and loves it! She will stare forever at her little fist with such focused determination until she finds a way to get it to her mouth. And when it gets there, she turns it into a slobber spunge!
  • She loves the sound of her voice. She talks and talks and talks (and talks loud) and can stay amused by her noises for unlimited amounts of time. Truth be told, we love her voice even more than she does and love to talk with her.
  • She tried out her first laugh at 2 1/2 months old while daddy was making funny faces and odd noises at her. We have loved every little giggle she has given us ever since.
  • She survived her first injury when mom dropped a book on her sleeping head. She screamed with her eyes shut for about 5 seconds and then went back to sleep. Tough little cookie!
  • She has decided that pooping is not fun. (And yes, her mother is still talking about poop.) Though things are much, MUCH better coming out, the damage was done in those first few weeks of life and she screams and fights the inevitable every time it's time to go. This makes life interesting every day as mom waits for the "poop episode" as we like to call them. I guess the trauma is understandable when you poop literal rocks for the first 3 weeks of your life.
  • She has made friends with a horse named Chase
  • She made it through two tough hearing exams, which were failed because she had excessive fluid in her ears. Then after a lot of prayers and Heavenly Father's healing power, the fluid disappeared and she passed her hearing test with flying colors. Now she has to listen to her mom's sad excuse for singing for the rest of her life! Maybe being deaf would have been nicer!
  • She gives her mom and dad 8-9 hours of sleep at night these days. Are we in heaven?!
  • She has developed a good punch -- she practices on her new favorite toy ball.

    Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting
  • She found a way to always have such a distinct sparkle in her eye and a grin that could light up the city of Las Vegas. She is magical!!

I could go on and on with all that Kaiya's short, 3-month life has experienced, and all that her 3 month existence has done for us and those that love her most. But the most important thing that I can think to say in all of this is that my heart is so full with a joy that I, so many times, wondered if I would ever have. The longing is still so fresh in my memory and in my heart and yet, in one single day 3 months ago, that longing was filled in a way I never could have anticipated. In every way, shape and form, Kaiya is our miracle and our witness that Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers. She is the result of our fasting, praying, wishing, and hoping, and ultimately Jessika's most unselfish act of love humanly possible. How did we get so lucky? Why were we given a blessing that every day feels so undeserved? We love you more every day, little Kaiya-bear.

24 Comments:

Blogger Burridge said...

I found your blog through Ashley's about 5 months ago and have enjoyed following your journey into motherhood through the miracle of adoption.

The sweet spirit of your family really comes through in your writing and pictures.

7:20 PM  
Blogger the splendid life of us... said...

I have followed your journey through adopting your sweet and beautiful little girl. About 4 months ago we found out about the little baby boy we will be adopting in a few weeks. And as I was reading this post I was practically in tears, because I personally understand so many of your feelings and I can't wait to know personally the other feeling after receiving our blessing. Thankyou for being an inspiration to me!
Brenley
www.bwilbergerfamily.blogspot.com

7:32 PM  
Blogger Carlotta said...

wow that's scary that means little Calli will be 3months in 1week!!! Where has the time gone. I have decided that the intensity and emotions will never go away, nor do I ever want them to.I know that I will always have these feelings inside but not feel them ALL the time. It is such a special experience in life. Even though it seems like a lot of people go through it, really not many do. Adoption is a special "breed" so to speak.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

what a beautiful post Kar. I loved reading this. What a blessing sweet Kaiya is, I can't help but think that every time I see her... and see how happy she makes you both. THis will be a very special Thanksgiving for you... By the way, I'm so so grateful for your friendship too! Love ya!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Audrey said...

Sorry if this seems weird but I am Angela's friend and she introduced me to your blog a while back. I like to visit it often. I want to thank you for helping me realize how AWESOME it is to be a mom. I admire your perspective and with this post I was quickly reminded of how wonderful and sweet it is to be a part of these little peoples lives. Your words are touching and she is a lucky little girl!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Nash said...

I found you through angela, she is a friend of my friend audrey. I read your adoption story and am so touched as i watched my sister place her baby feb of 2006. Your words were so beautiful along with your thoughts on the birth mother. I love that you are so sensative to her. The whole adoption experience is hard but extremely beautiful. My sisters is very open like it seems yours is. They have visited him and the family is coming to visit all of us extended fam. I just had to comment. Congratulations! What a lucky little girl!

10:17 PM  
Blogger NAT said...

I always love reading your sweet posts, Karli. You have a great way of expressing yourself and your feelings.

I teared up at this post and am so happy for you. Kaiya is beautiful. Jessika is beautiful and YOU are beautiful and deserve every happiness that comes your way.

P.S. Emma hated "tummy time" too & I thought she would never get over it, but they do... :)

7:48 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I also found your blog through Ashley's and have followed your story. I think it is truly amazing and wish your family the very best!!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Addie has that same aquarium gym. She loved it when she was little! I can't believe how fast time goes.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Allan and Diane said...

waht a totally beautiful 3 month journey you shared. Of course dad and I shed a few tears of gratitude for the blessing of being able to be close enough to enjoy a part of this miracle. Kaiya is really the blessed one to have you and Chris for parents.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Elisa said...

I LOVE your post! It makes me think of all that we have gone through. Adoption is the BEST thing that has ever happened in my life. I also look at our little Calli and wonder how we ever could be so blessed. This post made me think of all of the things Calli has been through in her short time here. What an amazing experiance.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Cari said...

Happy 3 months Kaiya! She looked so cute Sunday all bundled up in her pink blanket. What a doll!

7:06 AM  
Blogger Grammy said...

Kar, you, Cris, Jessika, and baby Kaiya are all so incredible! You are all sharing in a grand and glorious miracle that has blessed all of your lives beyond expression. How happy I am for you! I know you will keep on with enjoying every precious moment with your beautiful little girl!

7:07 AM  
Blogger Linds said...

Kar,
I cry every time I read your blog! It is so beautiful, you have such a talent with your words and photos. What a beautiful tribute to sweet little Kaiya. I can't wait to meet her. You and Chris are so blessed as is she. What an incredible family. Thank you for sharing. Hope to see you soon!

8:08 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

I lurk around your blog from time to time...I'm Katie's friend, Kelly.
I am finally leaving a comment because every time I read a post about your baby, it makes me cry! I don't even know you but am so touched by this event in your life and how you are so appreciative of Jessika and her selfless sacrifice for that sweet baby.
I need to remember to check your blog BEFORE I put on my makeup...I'm a mess!

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris and Karli, I love you two and baby Kaiya so much. She is a miracle to all of us. If not for Kaiya we would have not have had the chance to know you two and I can't imagine life with out you.I love Jessika so much for all she has done to change all of our lives. Words alone cannot come close to expressing the love we feel for you as part of our family. Your constantly on our minds and not a minute passes without Kaiya being in our thoughts and hearts. You know how much we love all of you and thank you SOOO much for letting us be a part of this experience!

Love GMS and GPS

10:05 PM  
Blogger Jamie and Family said...

Yep, you definitely have a talent for saying things in an extremely heartfelt and real way.

What a beautiful post!!!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Cox Family said...

You are such a great mommy and have such a beautiful daughter.. reading all that made me cry.. you are so great at writing things and have the cutest picures ever.. miss you guys..

9:02 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Beautiful post, and such a beautiful Kaiya!!!

11:40 PM  
Blogger NAT said...

Kar -

Thank you for your kind heart and comforting words that you posted on my blog this morning. It means so much. I know you understand and I only wish more people could realize what amazing creatures, animals really are. :)

You're the best! Hope your beautiful family is doing well!

11:03 AM  
Blogger The Valentine Fam said...

Wow...she's had a very eventful 3 months! You are an amazing mom... she's so lucky to have you too! I think we need to get together after this week...what do you think? I need to hold this little girl!!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Mugs said...

What a sweet post Kar! Kaiya is truly blessed to be yours. And flip it the other way too. You are a happy light in my life.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

she is adorable! i was so excited to get so many great snuggles today, love that girl!

7:58 PM  
Blogger Lindsey from The R House said...

that last picture gives me GOOSEBUMPS!

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones