RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: Our little one-weeker

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Our little one-weeker

Well I am finally taking some time to get in some blogging this evening! I have been reading lots of blogs, but just have been much too occupied to do any blogging myself! It has been such a fun, new, crazy week! Today, baby Kaiya is one week old! I can't believe it! In so many ways it feels lik it has been 3 years since she was born and in so many other ways, I still feel like it's all a dream! The week has been eventful and uneventful all at the same time. On the one hand, I am getting used to not being at work all day, so it seems that I all of the sudden have loads of extra time that I'm not sure how to use up. On the other hand, I could not have anticipated how much energy I would so anxiously and happily give someone so small! We have spent the week not wanting to let little Kaiya go for one second, laughing and aww-ing at every move she makes, enjoying visitors, and taking LOTS of pictures! I have to laugh because the thought occurs to me that at no other time in a person's life are burps and poops so interesting! I mean, honestly, we cheer every time Kaiya burps, we examine her poops, and think her every bodily function is worthy of an Oscar! It is quite humorous, but there is pretty much nothing that this girl does that is not completely adorable!
Here are some tid-bits about our sweet girl:
1. She loves to be wrapped up snug as a bug. Once she is swaddled tight, she falls right to sleep...usually! On the other hand, she does NOT like to have her clothes taken off or her diaper changed.
2. She has her days and her nights completely turned around! Jessika used to lay awake all night with Kaiya kicking and she definitely has not yet learned a new schedule!
3. She smiles A LOT in her sleep. I like to think she has some pretty amazing memories and dreams that she is revisiting! It is the cutest thing I have ever seen!
4. She had her first doctor's visit yesterday and she was the talk of the office. We kept having people come into her exam room to check out the "adorable new baby". I think she better get used to the attention!
5. She takes a heel prick like a champ. She had to have blood drawn twice to check her jaundice and there were only a few tears and she even slept right through one of them!
6. She is pretty immune to sound. She sometimes gives a little jump when Chase barks, but it usually doesn't wake her in the least.
7. She makes every outfit look like it is the cutest one ever made!
8. She has the most kissable little cheeks!
9. She likes to be burped sitting upright with her kissable cheeks in your hands.
10. She is an excellent eater! She is already up to 2 ounces every feeding. She does have a hard time staying awake through the whole thing, though, so we usually have to find a way to remind her to keep going!

Kaiya is the most beautiful, sweet little girl! I have had countless quiet moments where I just stare at her and wonder how we got so lucky. I still have the urge to pinch myself on a daily basis because it all is such a perfect little dream! I even enjoy the quiet awake hours during the night (once I am able to drag myself out of bed) where I get to just rock and hold her in my arms. I won't lie, there are lots of things that are hard and exhausting and so unfamiliar. The lack of sleep is a huge adjustment. But in comparison to the joy she brings into our lives, there is just really is no comparison! It's definitely a learning experience and I still have soooo much to learn. But we are so blessed!
And as a complete side note, I have to ask a question of all you good mommies out there. Any advice on constipation? (How cool that I can finally talk about constipation in that concerned mommy kind of way. And no, the constipation is not mine :).) Kaiya is having a VERY difficult time laboring to relieve herself. Is it wrong of me to be wishing for a blow-out?! It is so sad to watch. So do any of you have any good tricks?
Enjoy the pics!









25 Comments:

Blogger Jamie and Family said...

Oh my gosh, how is it possible I have the first comment?

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE PICS!!!! HOORAY!!! SO CUTE! And I just love the feeling you capture in your pics!

Oh, and Me! Me! Me! All three of my kids have been constipated at a VERY young age (like 2 months). What seems to help ME (others may have other suggestions) is first....I try a tiny bit of Karo Syrup, like enough to line the bottom of the bottle, with an ounce or two of lukewarm water. Maybe twice a day. Seemed to help me fairly quickly (okay, not ME, my kids). If that didn't work, I had to resort to an occasional child suppository (I'd cut it in half) OR there are mineral water enemas. I wouldn't do this too often, maybe once per week or a little more.
She will most likely outgrow it....mine all have, but not REALLY fast.
It is so horrible to see them gassy or frustrated because of a build up of gas and poop.

And YES, it is a fascinating and common topic among parents....poop!! Welcome to the poop club!! ha ha

8:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the pictures. I have been checking your site a million times a day for updates! Some babies actually have to have their colon stretched- sounds crazy but is not a big deal. I only fed my babies soy formula so they did okay. I did use the occasional suppository. I can't wait to hold my little one every time I see yours. Enjoy every second because they grow so quickly. As I was getting out some of Coopers old new born clothes I couldn't imagine him being that small at one time. It was so crazy. And I used to have to get Savannah undressed to keep her awake during eating time or she would fall asleep after three swallows.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Beth & John said...

Cute, Cute, Cute! I'm so glad you guys are doing well! I have been wondering how things are going.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Can't get enough of your story. My baby suffers from constipation as well. Babylax, the little suppositories work wonders. Also we switched to Enfamil Gentle-Ease formula. It's a wonder I tell you

8:43 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Well well, apparently constipation is very normal. My kids were (and are) the same way. Lucy goes like once a week. Suppositories work for her, though they break my heart to do. The doctor said up to a week is fine for them though, though it seems weird. Just be happy you aren't having to change 7 poopy diapers a day like most moms!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Daytrippingmom Media said...

What a beautiful little girl and beautiful pictures. Your posts are always written so beautifully.

Just from my experience with my two little ones/ they both were constipated- I first switched formula- The best one to help with constipation is Good Start Supreme..It's the one in a yellow can. It's great and it has comfort proteins that help digestion/constipation- The second thing that has worked for me is a tiny bit of dilluted apple juice.. I would mix half an ounce or an ounce of apple juice with a half an ounce or ounce of lukewarm water. It's worked like a charm- I've never had to use the suppositories with them because this usually takes care of it.

9:06 PM  
Blogger NAT said...

Thank you for the pictures! I got really teary-eyed when I saw the ones of you holding her. The love that you have for this little girl just radiates. You're going to be one amazing mother, Karli.

As for the gas, well I was pretty clueless, as Emma is my first and ONLY baby, but if she hadn't had a good movement, I gave the occasional suppository too, cut in half. Try pumping her legs up to her chest a few times, as this can relieve the pressure in their tummies. Pretty soon these little ones figure it all out. It's like my pediatrician said: These babies eventually figure it out, but for now it's like they're pushing so hard against a brick wall, as they try to get used to their little bodies.

I've been thinking about you guys and wondering how everything is going. I was like a little hermit the first month after Emma was born 'cause I was so tired and just trying to "adjust" to my new sleepless life. :)

9:06 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

she is ADORABLE! thanks for the pictures, i keep checking your site wondering how you guys are doing. i often think "is now a good time to call or maybe she is sleeping because i heard kaiya had her days and nights mixed up".

i miss talking to you on im:)

i am the mom who always has the blow-outs (not me, the boys). sorry i am of no help there but it sounds like others are:)

all our love!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I LOVE how babies will fall asleep on you with their legs curled up underneath. The snugbug sleep. What fun pictures! Sorry, no const. help here. I guess we were lucky! Jill

9:51 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I love the pictures!

I would mix Adelaide's formula with apple juice instead of water. She didn't have a huge problem with it, but sometimes. This worked really well though. I don't know what it is about apple juice but it goes right through them!

11:15 PM  
Blogger Ani said...

She's so cute!

Our dr said that with babies constipation is a matter of consitency vs. a matter of frequency - in other words, not to stress too much about how often they are pooping, but that their poops should be NOT be hard (sorry, is this TMI?).

If she's straining and having a hard time pooping - our dr recommended a bit of pear juice between formula feedings or mixing the formula with the Gerber pear juice or pear baby food. It worked for us, we never had to resort to Karo syrup (another recommendation) or suppositories.

Welcome to the thrilling topics of mommyhood :)

1:03 AM  
Blogger Holladay Family said...

My doctor always recommended a thermometer with a tiny bit of vaseline. You gently put it in, not far at all and it gets them to squeeze it out. My kids needed it a lot and it worked like a champ. Good luck! Your baby is beautiful!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Cari said...

Has it really been a week!?! She's so cute and you guys are so cute with her!

I always used the Karo Syrup also. Works like a charm. Sometimes my kids wouldn't drink water so I just added it to the bottom of the bottle and mixed the formula in with it. That works too.

Good luck and I need to come see your little beauty!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I like pear juice better than apple myself, but I would be careful at her young age. I guess I would try changing formulas first. It is a tough one. What a sweet, beautiful little angel!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Sydney said...

Guess what?? You are a MOM!!! And seem to be taking to it quite well as a matter of fact! I absolutely LOVE the pic of her yawning--so adorable...as for poop (or lack thereof), I'd say give her some time--she has, afterall, only had to use her tummy for 1 week. As long as she is not inconsolable and her belly isn't huge, she should be fine. Such a precious little person you have there!! oh, and the tennis tourney comes every year at this time, men and women!

3:08 PM  
Blogger The Bastian's said...

Hey Kar,

I love the pictures! She is so beautiful!

With bottles, sometimes you just need to dilute them a bit more. That should mostly solve the problem. Also in the nursery, we would take the temp stick and slide it in and out of her little bumb just a few times, it will help her push it out. More water should solve probs for the future though. Also, gas drops. Mylecon, if you don't have them, get them, it should help settle her stomach from gas probs that come with the constipation.
We love you so much! Whitney

5:55 PM  
Blogger Allan and Diane said...

wow--I don't ever remember the "poop" topic being so prevelant in my day of child raising. Sounds like you got alot of good advice tho--one even from Dr. Sara. All I can say is you are one terrific mom--very natural and calm and so loving . It melts my heart(and turns on the tear facet) when I see you with her. And I can hardly look at those pictures of my darling without hopping in the car for a drive south!!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Grammy said...

Love the pictures. My sis had 5 kids, all of whom had to have the rectum stretched. The Dr. just put on a little balloon thingy on his baby finger and up the rectum it went. My sis soon learned to do this on her own, using the pointer finger as it was the same size as the Dr.'s pinky. She would just use a little vaseline for lubrication. Make sure to check with your doctor about this or any other suggestion! Some little tummies cannot tolerate fruit juices as such an early age. She is sure a sweetie! Don't you guys just wonder what you did for entertainment before she came along?

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enough of the pooping. How are Chris and Karly. I'm sure Chris is still gassy, but I love him even more for it! Kar I really hope your getting plenty of rest and that Chris is pitching in, I'm sure he is. Your last blog will never be forgot and could never have been written better. It healed ways beyond words. You couldn't have been a more perfect fit. Healing has already started.
Love forever! GPS

7:28 PM  
Blogger julie said...

I can't believe how cute she is! I just want to cuddle her when I see all of your cute pics. Cherish every moment because they pass by so quickly!

7:49 PM  
Blogger britt said...

So precious Kar. I too have been checking your site often looking for updates, so thanks. I know it is much easier to read and scroll, then actually type, especially when you are holding a baby.
On the constipation topic-Ash is a great pooper, too much I would say. Gotta love wearing the green stuff sometimes (gross I know). I do vaguely remember with Ame having to stick a thermometer, coated with KY,@ the tip, up the bum (like whitney said, I think) also gas drops helped a lot with her. There is even a generic, Walmart brand that I always got.
Enjoy her!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Mugs said...

I check every day for more pictures of beautiful Kaiya. She is so sweet. Love your posts Karli.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I'm so glad things are going well? Wow, you just have to ask and you get flooded with advice, how cool is that? It's the best, when you get tons of different ideas, to find what works for you. Yes, be thankful, Eddie had a poopy diaper EVERY feeding when he was a newborn. Josh was consipated and I switched formula and added more water, it worked great. You know your going to have to have an update poop-post and tell everyone what worked! :)

9:41 AM  
Blogger Holladay Family said...

Karli,
I know you don't know me but I love your blog! Your baby is beautiful and you are the cutest new parents ever! It is cute to see how aware you are of each of your little ones coos and accomplishments! Just thought I would tell you I was at the Hogle Zoo yesterday (in the white alligator area) and they were selling Gillberta's (just like your stuffed alligator). They were $125 hundred dollars each. WOW! You probably didn't pay even close to that. Good job on the Good Deal! Lisa

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karli and Chris, Hi this has been a really hard week for me but I hope you know we love you and miss you very much. I hope you are giving your sweet baby Kaiya lots of kisses for me. I love her so much. she looks like Jessika baby pic's so much we wiil have to send one to you so you can see.love you all love Melanie. GMS.... love's and kisses!!!!!!!!!

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones