Happy 4th (or 6th) of July
Though you might think that this is just a late attempt at 4th of July wishes, it's actually the fact that I'm still celebrating the holiday...or something! Anyway, we had a really great day. I think there is a general consensus that this is just a SWEET holiday and that most people love it, including myself! We spent the day with a delicious BIG breakfast, courtesy of Chris, hit Ikea (I'm ashamed to admit it was my first time to the Utah one since it opened -- not sure why it took me so long to make it out there), played around and relaxed, enjoyed the Freedom Festival downtown, hit up the snow cone shack by our house (YUM on a hot day), and then enjoyed the Stadium of Fire fireworks at our traditional park. We go there every year and it's such a fun place. There are tons of families there, everyone enjoying themselves, playing volleyball, or throwing frisbee or whatever, and it's just a really nice place to hang out. One highlight of this spot is the HUGE Polynesian family that comes every year and brings their own somewhat illegal fireworks pre-show for all of us to enjoy! Not that I would ever encourage anything illegal, but I definitely do not complain because they put on a pretty good show! 




As we were sitting at the park, playing with Chase and enjoying each other's company, waiting for the fireworks to start, I had a thought cross my mind that got me pretty choked up. I thought about the fact that while I was sitting there so comfortable and happy, there were thousands of brave, brave people off in foreign lands, probably very uncomfortable, missing their families, tired, hot, maybe a little scared, but mostly brave and proud, doing the dirty work that nobody else would ever want to do, so that I could sit there in freedom to enjoy my night with my family. There are really no words to ever express the amount of appreciation I feel for those brave people and their brave and selfless families. We truly are BLESSED beyond belief to live where we live and to enjoy all that we have the freedom to enjoy. I love this country so much and I love those who sacrifice so willingly to let me have what I have.
Happy 4th, (and 6th) of July and God Bless America!!





5 Comments:
Very well put! It is amazing the sacrifices our soldiers and families are so willing to make.
So happy you had (or are having) a great holiday. Just think, next year you'll have your daughter with you and it will be that much more fun!
Amen to THAT sister.
We just discovered the cream soda flavored snowie.
To your final comment, I have a cousin who is in the marines, and I know that he loves his country. The best way we can honor them, I believe, is to celebrate our Independence and to show our love for this country the way they would if they were home, and the way they do as they fight in foreign lands.
it looks like you had a great 4th:)
This is a great post! I love hearing support for our country and for our service members. I do not always hear that kind of support, and even though I'm happy to be out of the military, I will never forget the perspective it gave, knowing and caring about so many people who are over in the middle east, some who do not return, to fight not only for us, but for justice and humanity for the innocent in other countries. Being a part of that was an honor. I never tire of hearing others appreciate it as well. I agree the fireworks were cool, it was my first time seeing them set off from Stadium of Fire, but we watched from a distance with the kids, near Seven Peaks. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home