RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: To be or not to be...technical

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

To be or not to be...technical

So, last night I started my photography class. I decided a few weeks ago that I really needed a class that would teach me how to use my new camera, because I am clueless! Mind you, the reason I signed up for the class was because the description said that it would be pretty dummied-down and would teach the basics of an SLR camera. Sounded just up my alley. When I got to class last night the first thing the teacher asked is "who in the class has had their camera for 2 years or more?" -- several hands raised. Next, "who has had their camera for 1 year or more?" -- more hands raised. "Six months?" -- few hands. Finally, "who just purchased their camera?" -- my hand goes into the air, I look around and see that only one other person in the room is with me (and she's about 85 years old). So, that set the tone for the rest of the two hours -- teacher teaching with the assumption that the majority of the class already knew quite a bit about their cameras and photography in general. I felt cheated, I must say, because I wanted the room to be full of dummies like me, and the teacher to pretty much spell things out with step 1: do this, step 2: do this. Maybe I was being naive. So, the whole night was spent with so much technical talk that I thought my head would explode into little camera-function pieces and me catching about 1/5 of it all! I am a bit frustrated. On the one hand, I know I need to learn this stuff so that I can take better pictures and learn how to manipulate my camera to take shots that I want. On the other hand, though, I hate how all the technical stuff seems to get in the way (at least when you don't get any of it) of why I really LOVE photography, and that is for the very, very simple reason that I just love taking pictures. I don't really care, at this stage of my game, why this setting will help in this lighting or why you need to adjust this to get this in your picture -- even though I know I should care about that! I hate feeling bogged down by all that techie stuff swimming in my head and just want to go out and capture moments. I guess this is supposed to help me catch the moments AND make them look better! I'm not giving up. I am going to study my manual this week and try to be better prepared for next weeks' class. In the meantime, I guess I will have visions of F-stop and aperature and histograms swimming in my head! Sometimes it's just easier being the dummie!

10 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

I think you're a GREAT photographer already... But I can only imagine how overwhelmed you still felt last night. We miss you guys... We need to get together and play soon!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Elisa said...

LOL, I totally know how you feel. It's hard to feel overwhelmed when you start out jsut wanting things to be simple. But they always say that talent can only get you so far. If you want to be really good at something I mean really good you have to work at it and then it will all fall into place. I think you are a great photographer. Your pictures always inspire me. Don't worry you have the talent you'll get there. Just imagine that in 2 years you will be like all of those smarty pants in your class. Especailly after Kayia comes I know you will be taking tons of pictures of her.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I love when people find each other on these wonderful things called blogs.
Good to see you here. We will now add your name to our 'cool' people list. Hah!
Good luck in class. I'm sure it will become clear in the end.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Elisa said...

Also, thanks for the comment on my page. It's always nice to talk to someone that knows what I'm going through. We should get together maybe meet at Thanksgiving Point Gardens. I love it there.

11:53 AM  
Blogger The Valentine Fam said...

I know the feeling. My first day in the photo class I was so bugged. I wanted someone to tell me what to do...didn't care about the history cameras AT ALL! It did get better for me, so hopefully it will for you too. Let's do lunch next week...how does Wednesday look for you??

2:29 PM  
Blogger C. Jane Kendrick said...

Ummmm. Did you say F-stop?


P.s. Do you divulge your camera? We are presently Nikoners (d-70) who look forward to a Cannon in the future.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Amy D. said...

It is soooooo confusing at first, but hang in there. You'll get it! I have just decided to leave my photography up to Leah & Amy. Then I can learn something else! :)

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just quit.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Chris Grover said...

thanks davey, i was hoping someone would just say that!

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to learn more about photography too and so I checked out some books from the library and it was all too technical and boring and I decided I wasn't having fun and that was the whole point so I quit. I may not ever be an expert photographer but at least I know that I will still love it. Good luck with it all.
PS I am one of Debbie's friends. I grew up with her Rochester.

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones