Random thoughts for the day...
Considering that it is slower than death around here at work today (apparently everyone decided to celebrate Memorial Day for 4 days and I didn't get that memo cause I'm still here!), I have now reached the point of insanity and am going to share some of my random thoughts!
First off, look at our ticker! Kaiya is coming sooo soon and I'll be honest, I have had so many moments of panic thinking, oh my gosh, I am going to be a mother soon and I don't know how to do that!! I am told this is a very normal thought for first-time moms, or maybe everyone is just trying to make me feel better! Ha! Jessika had another appointment this week and everything measured "perfect" as her doctor said, and Jessika and Kaiya are both healthy and well! I love Kaiya so much, even her heartbeat is beautiful to me! And Jessika, well, what more can I say about such a special girl? She's just GREAT and we love her!
Next, I had someone offer to give me their breast milk today. (Yes, you read that correctly). And in addition, she offered the breast milk of several other nursing women (without their consent, I'm sure). I must admit, as nice and as helpful as I know she was trying to be, I was completely weirded out! COMPLETELY! She is nursing her new baby and apparently has a surplus, and in leiu of the fact that we are adopting, she generously offered some of her abundance. Shall we call that "food storage"? Chris is probably going to laugh pretty hard at this since I haven't shared this little detail of my day with him just yet.
Moving on, I have decided that I have a love-hate relationship with blogging. On the one hand, I love the journaling aspect of it, since I am not a very good journal-keeper and I think it makes for great records of our family life. And I LOVE reading other people's blogs -- my friends and family, and even the strangers that I "blog-stalk" but love feeling inspired by and interested in! On the other hand, I have these constant battles about blogging, such as how much info should I put on, do I go private and feel a bit more safe or stay public where I have the opportunity of making new blogging friends (it has been so fun reading comments from people I've never met, but who I sooo love to blog with)? Does anything I write sound braggish (I HATE reading blogs where that's all people do is brag and brag about stuff and it's one of the things that made me really hesitant to even start a blog), or is anything I say actually stuff people can relate to and feel helped by? And then there's the commenting issue. When I am on a blog of someone I don't know, should I leave a comment and let them know how I love their post or would they find me weird because I'm a stranger? And why don't some people who frequent my blog leave their comments? Does anyone else have this kind of relationship with blogging or am I just being a total girl and overanalyzing something as silly as blogging?! Probably the latter is true! And one more bit on blogging, so many of my usual blogging friends seem to have fallen off the blog-craze boat and I miss them! Come back, come back!!
And the last random thought that I will torture you all with. Why is it that the most unhealthy foods always taste the best? I just finished off a serving of fries with not a second of hesitating (and boy did they taste heavenly) and yet, there are many days when I sit and stare at my banana wishing it had chocolate all over it so it would be more appealing to eat! There are lots of healthier foods that I do love, but not nearly as much as the bad stuff. Why can't spinach taste like ice cream? Or wheat bread taste like potato chips? Or better yet, why can't carrot CAKE have fewer calories than carrots or banana bread have less fat than an actual banana? It's so unfair, don't you think?
Had enough of my ramblings? Ok, good, cause I'm done and I'm going home to start my long holiday weekend! Hope you all enjoy yours!!





21 Comments:
It's always nice to get comments so here you go!
I love your blog! I'm an adoptive mom also and it's so exciting to hear about your upcoming baby. Don't worry about knowing what to do- as soon as you have that baby in your arms it will all fall in place- you're going to be a great mom!
Cheri
I love to read your blog! And, as a mom who nursed...I think that's so weird that someone offered you her breast milk. I'm sure she was trying to be helpful, but that's a little personal and presumptuous! I'm always excited to read up on your journey to becoming a mom! You're going to be great! Keep blogging or I'll be bored! Jill
I personally love comments, especially if they're from strangers! (That's why I'm commenting here!:)
So I say you should always comment if you feel inclined.
Also, I know a few adoptive mom's who were given breast milk. I say take it. It's better for baby and cheaper than formula.
Good luck!
Kar, I could've written everything you wrote! Particularly about blogging! I think all of those same thoughts. I LOVE comments and secretly feel a little sad when I don't get them, esp knowing how many lurkers are out there! And I always wonder if my post is too conservative or too liberal or too fake or too real...and then I decide ultimately that as long as it's ME, who cares what people think? ha ha
Anyway, thanks for the random thoughts post. Fun.
Jamie
That reminds me...Did we ever tell you guys about the couple who brought brownies to the NICU, and after the nurses had already eaten a few the husband casually remarks how remarkable it was that his wife was able to use her own breast milk to make them?!
I think some people just don't realize breast milk is a little personal, and therefore think it can be shared with one and all.
BTW, you might want to avoid any homemade treats this lady brings over - just as a precaution.
John and Beth, Chris and I are just sitting here reading your comment and we were DYING laughing! You just brightened our night a whole lot! But we must ask, did the brownies taste good?!
Karly-
I am one of those stalkers you talk about. I have so many times wanted to post on your blog, but felt weird because I am a stranger- so here goes. I love your blog. I became addicted to your story with Jessika. We have had trouble staying pregnant, and I feel that I am living vicariously through you. We should have been having a baby the same time as Kaiya will be born. Good luck with everything. You will be a wonderful mom I believe expecially because you want it sooo much. I know how you feel. Please don't stop blogging!!
Melanie
i agree with you about so many things but the food thing made me laugh:) hope you have a great weekend.
okay- brownies with breast milk?? Is that even legal! So gross
Of course the brownies were good - we made them!
Actually we were fortunate enough to have avoided that mishap, so we can’t truthfully comment on the final product, but we did hear many of the nurses suffered from some severe queasiness after learning of the secret ingredient.
Oh, and BTW, something else you should think about - if you are considering this person’s offer – is the risk of not knowing what the breast milk donor’s eating/drinking habits, etc., were/are like; because what she consumes will certainly end up in the milk.
Not that we think you’ll get past the weirdness factor…but for what it’s worth. The truth is breast milk is best for a baby…but the unknowns here may not be worth the risk.
Is breast milk listed in the new "Food Storage" pamphlet??!! You have to start some where!
Laughing so hard...don't worry, I won't be offering mine to you! I'm glad you decided (or hopefully decided) to keep your post public...I'm always sad when the blogs I stalk have decided to go private!
I'm constantly telling your story...I love it (and you too)!
Admitted "blog-stalker" here:
I am Jamie (as in Jamie & Tucker's) cousin-in-law and I found your blog from her site. I must admit I am obsessed with your adoption story. My husband and I have been waiting to have kids until I finish school and I have one year left and one of my greatest fears is that I may not be able to have children, but somehow reading your blog has eased that fear, because I see the excitement that your baby is bringing you and the new relationships you have made.
I don't ever leave any comments because like you said...it is kind of weird isn't it? I mean, you don't know me and I don't want to be the weird person who leaves random comments on your page. But since you "broke the blooging ice" Here it goes! Thanks for your beautiful pictures too.
Karli--have I told you how much I love you and how happy I am to have you as my friend? I got a nice chuckle out of the breast milk story-I can give you my opinion if you want it...and wow, I think this must be a record on comments! Thank you for bringing me into blogging, for always leaving comments, and thank you for being YOU! =)
While it was generous to offer her breastmilk, you have to be careful because you don't know what this woman eats/drinks or her history. That is, if you're even considering taking her up on her offer (which it doesn't sound like you are).
If you are interested in supplementing your baby with breast milk, I know that there are milk banks where the milk is screened and tested.
http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_about/all_about_milk_banks.html
Just a thought, and if not, since I just recently stopped nursing, I use Similac Advanced formula and Emma's doing just fine! :)
I love reading your blog - I love receiving comments and hope u don't mind me posting one- but as someone who has struggled with infertility I've loved reading about your journey and am so excited about your your upcoming little girl!! You are going to be an awesome mom!!!
wow Kar--I thought I was probably sooooooo interested in your blog cause I am the mom but obviously there are alot of others "out there" which is nice and also a bit scary. But I guess you are becoming the blogging Queen and I love it. (but you even more!)
I have to admit I am one of your blog stalkers. Actually, my husband is too. I love crafty projects and I fell in love with your sister in laws blog and linked over to yours. (I kinda stalk her blog too.) We are so thrilled for you two, which is a little weird because we don't know you personally, although we feel like we do. My husband is in the Navy and currently on deployment so I catch him up on all your baby news. We are expecting our first munchkin on August 15th-ish so you and I will have little girls that are the same age.
Please feel free to check out our family website, so you know we aren't psycho-crafty-weirdos. Just e-mail me for the link at secg8tr@yahoo.com
:)
Shakira
I've enjoyed reading your blog - we adopted our son as a newborn and I am reliving our experience (anxiousness, joy, elation, stress, oh my!), all over again.
Just wait until you see her little face... your life will never be the same.
All the best!
I have to admit that I am a blog stalker. I am your sister-in-law Whitney's sister-in-law. She has told me about your story and now I always read your blog. I am so happy for you and Chris what a great thing to happen to such great people. Keep blogging! You are a natural at it.
It's my first time here, so I guess I'm not a stalker here yet, but I do stalk a lot of other blogs. I always feel that the blogger will think if I comment that I'm just trying to get them to visit my page. I agree with all your blogging feelings!
I watched a show on Dateline about the breastmilk issue because women were selling their frozen milk on ebay. I can't believe that any mother would want to feed their child something that they didn't know who it was coming from, or what could be in it, but if you're close to the person that could be different. Still, there are plenty of babies who've had nothing but formula and they're just fine, so I wouldn't worry about it too much! You'll be a great mom!
I doubt this would happen where you're living, and it doesn't sound like your considering it, but I just wanted to add that HIV can be passed on through breast milk.
Post a Comment
<< Home