Weekend recap
It was such a great weekend, celebrating family, Birth Mother's Day, and of course Mother's Day! (Long post coming!)
The weather WAS looking so beautiful (before it turned yucky again yesterday), so naturally we spent every waking second outside, soaking in the rays! I even got a SUNBURN!! Hate that, but at least it was warm enough to get it!! Our kids absolutely love the park, so we spend lots of time there! And it's a real treat when daddy can join us! We also worked in our yard, have taken a billion walks, sat out on the steps while the kids ran around, visited with neighbors...ahhh, love the lazy, warm, long days of spring and summer! Can't wait for them to return!
Saturday was Birth Mother's Day and again, we were sooooo lucky to be able to spend the day with Jess! This has become a nice tradition that I hope we can keep up in years to come! We hadn't seen each other in so long, so it was an extra special day! And Jessika's family joined us, which is also always a GREAT treat! There is not a day that goes by that our family does not pray for Jessika and thank our Heavenly Father for her sacrifice in bringing Kaiya to our family. Until you experience that kind of love and selflessness, it's really hard to describe how much that person means to you. Jess will always hold a treasured place in each of our hearts. She made Chris and I parents for the first time. She gave Taylor and Avery their big sister. She made our family feel whole in a way that just would not have been possible had Kaiya not been here with us. How do you ever express enough gratitude for that?! I hope that Jessika knows how much she means to us and how much we are eternally grateful for her. She is a beautiful, special, amazing young woman and we are honored to know her! God be thanked for the most beautiful gift of adoption and the way it brings hearts together and changes lives forever. Soooo happy that Kaiya has such an amazing birth mother and we celebrate her on this special day and every day! Happy Birth Mother's Day, Jess! We love you!!
Then yesterday, was a really wonderful day. Every year, on Mother's Day, I have a lot in my heart. Don't get me wrong, I will never deny a day of pampering and feeling special -- who doesn't love that?! But the funny thing about this day, for me, is that I feel like it should really be called "Kid's Day" or something. I feel like it's a day that I feel especially grateful for the children that I have been given. They are the reason I am a mother in the first place. They are the ones who teach me and add immeasurable love and happiness to my life. I feel so, so lucky to be a mother, to be THEIR mother, that any celebrating of me seems backwards. Anyway, Chris is always so, so great to make these kinds of days incredibly special and to make me feel like the #1 lady in the world! How I love him for that! He even went so far as to declare it Mother's WEEKEND, and tried to spoil me the entire weekend! What a guy! I woke up to a delicious breakfast, homemade cards, and a beautiful special surprise! Chris was so creative and instead of the usual flowers this year (which I always love), he found a place that would ship a lei to me. Now let me just tell you, ever since I went to school in Hawaii 12 years ago, my love for that place has held a special place in my heart. I always tell Chris about how I would walk outside my front door every day and put a plumeria flower in my ear, since we had a tree right in our front yard. I could smell the fragrance of that little flower all day long and I miss that so much. The flowers, the smells, the lei's, the life...I treasure my memories of that beautiful place so much. So, after years of hearing me talk about it, he thoughtfully ordered the most beautiful lei for me to enjoy on Mother's Day! He actually tried to get a plumeria lei, but apparently it wouldn't have lasted through the shipment, but the one he got was equally gorgeous! I absolutely LOVED this idea and so appreciated the surprise! I got in a nap, Chris didn't let me lift a finger all day, and felt totally spoiled and loved! It was such a great day! I did force the issue of making some cookies because I love doing that with my girls and it seemed an appropriate way to celebrate the day!
Last night as Chris and I were laying in bed, we discussed this talk from our most recent General Conference. It is a beautiful reminder of these sacred little lives that we get to be apart of and how if we let them, they can teach us the MOST important lessons in life. I told Chris how this talk made me think so much of each of our beautiful little girls. The things I feel I learn most from them were mentioned in this talk. Their quickness to forgive and their eagerness to love. It doesn't matter if mom is in a bad mood and isn't being as nice to them as she should be. They never hold a grudge, but stand there with open arms, ready to love and forgive me. They do the same thing with each other. They can be fighting passionately about something, and 2 seconds later, be laughing and playing together like nothing happened. What would our world be like if we adults were more like that?! They have such a natural draw and affection for the Savior. It doesn't even have to be taught, it's just part of their spirits. Every time they see a picture of Him or sing a song, they are so excited about it! They are obedient, humble, and perpetually happy and joyful. They look at life with excitement and wonder and appreciate the littlest things that make them happy. On Mother's Day and really every day, I am so grateful for what my children teach me. I don't know how I could ever become who I want to be without their examples. I celebrate THEM, and feel honored beyond words that I get to be their mom. They are my treasures and my life and I love each of them so dearly!
Finally, I can't talk about Mother's Day without acknowledging that I have the best mother in the world (isn't it beautiful that we all can feel that way about our mother's -- like they literally are the cream of the crop?!). There are countless things I love and admire and adore about my mom. Too many to name them all. But some of the things that I love and cherish the most: her kindness, her perpetual optimism, her happy nature, her easy laugh, her charity, her service, her devotion to her family and to the Lord, her thoughtfulness, her response to spiritual promptings, her love, her example, and her tireless energy. Mom, I miss you every single day, but never stop being proud of the amazing woman you are and the sacrifices you make to serve the Lord on your mission. I love you so much and admire you as a daughter of God and for the beautiful example of motherhood that you have always been for me. You have and work to maintain such a special relationship with each of your children and grandchildren and I can't tell you how much that means to our family! I can only hope to be like you someday -- and I'll keep trying!
And I express my love to the many other women in my life. My mother-in-law who has always welcomed me in the family with such warmth and treated me just like her own daughter -- she is so, so kind. My grandmother's, one on this side of the veil, and one on the other -- I love them both so much. My sister and sister's-in-law -- beautifully busy and talented moms, each one of them. My friends and people who have touched my life even with a simple lesson at church or a kind note. So many good women in the world who deserve to be recognized and celebrated!
Happy Mother's Day to you all!
The weather WAS looking so beautiful (before it turned yucky again yesterday), so naturally we spent every waking second outside, soaking in the rays! I even got a SUNBURN!! Hate that, but at least it was warm enough to get it!! Our kids absolutely love the park, so we spend lots of time there! And it's a real treat when daddy can join us! We also worked in our yard, have taken a billion walks, sat out on the steps while the kids ran around, visited with neighbors...ahhh, love the lazy, warm, long days of spring and summer! Can't wait for them to return!
Finally, I can't talk about Mother's Day without acknowledging that I have the best mother in the world (isn't it beautiful that we all can feel that way about our mother's -- like they literally are the cream of the crop?!). There are countless things I love and admire and adore about my mom. Too many to name them all. But some of the things that I love and cherish the most: her kindness, her perpetual optimism, her happy nature, her easy laugh, her charity, her service, her devotion to her family and to the Lord, her thoughtfulness, her response to spiritual promptings, her love, her example, and her tireless energy. Mom, I miss you every single day, but never stop being proud of the amazing woman you are and the sacrifices you make to serve the Lord on your mission. I love you so much and admire you as a daughter of God and for the beautiful example of motherhood that you have always been for me. You have and work to maintain such a special relationship with each of your children and grandchildren and I can't tell you how much that means to our family! I can only hope to be like you someday -- and I'll keep trying!
And I express my love to the many other women in my life. My mother-in-law who has always welcomed me in the family with such warmth and treated me just like her own daughter -- she is so, so kind. My grandmother's, one on this side of the veil, and one on the other -- I love them both so much. My sister and sister's-in-law -- beautifully busy and talented moms, each one of them. My friends and people who have touched my life even with a simple lesson at church or a kind note. So many good women in the world who deserve to be recognized and celebrated!
Happy Mother's Day to you all!





1 Comments:
Well happy day for you dear mommy. Sounds like you were spoiled--deservably . Thanks for the sweet thoughts honey...too hard for me to read tho! Glad you got to see Jesse.
Post a Comment
<< Home