RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: A pretty amazing woman

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A pretty amazing woman

We found out that my grandmother passed away this morning (my dad's mom). It wasn't totally surprising because she has been going through a lot over the last several months, in and out of the hospital. But then again, it always catches you by surprise to hear that someone you love so much has passed away. I don't think you are ever REALLY ready to hear that kind of news.

As the news came, I found myself really wanting to talk to my parents and I was so grateful that even with the time difference between here and Germany, they happened to be home and I was able to talk with them for a few minutes on Skype. I know it must be a really difficult thing for my parents to not only feel the loss of Grandma, but also to not be able to be here to be with family. I am so grateful that they have each other and I know my mom will provide such support and comfort to my dad in a way that only she would be able to. I am also so comforted in knowing they are truly in the Lord's hands and in His care as they faithfully devote themselves to His service on their mission. I know they will be blessed.
I have spent some quiet time, as the kids are in bed, processing and taking in Grandma's passing. I have cried and felt those common emotions of loss. It is such a strange feeling to know that I will not see her again in this life. That makes my heart really sad. I will miss her immensely. Someone who is so familiar, so present in your heart, it is not an easy thing to realize that they are gone.

But there are so many things that I rejoice in. I am so thankful that she spent 90 years on this earth. She had 15 children. Multiply those numbers for grandchildren and great grandchildren, and it is easy to see that she truly left a legacy. She had a full life and accomplished so much good. She raised a really amazing family, and it could NOT have been easy. I don't feel like her life was cut short in any way. I rejoice in what I know to be true about families and how the Gospel of Jesus Christ provides a way for families to be together forever, that death does not have to separate us forever, just for a short period of time. I rejoice in the example that Grandma set for each of us as her family and for many, many others who knew her. I rejoice in the memories that I get to keep tucked away in my heart forever of her. I rejoice that my children got to meet her and give her hugs and kisses. I rejoice that just a few months ago, my entire family was able to make the trip to Canada to celebrate her 90th birthday with her. I think we all guessed it might be the last time we would spend with her and that proved to be the case. I will forever be thankful that we got to have that special time together as a family and together with her. It was so special and a time that I will always treasure.

My Grandma was kind. She had a softness and a gentle way about her. I remember my dad telling me about when he was young and he and his brothers used to like to go out and shoot birds and how much she hated that. She didn't like animals being hurt. She had a tender heart for all of God's creations. She had such soft hands. Hands that were weathered, yes, but always soft. Gentle as she was, she had soooo much spunk. And sass! I loved that about her. She could tease and joke with the best of us -- usually better than all of us! Even as she grew old, her humor remained in full effect! When she first met Chris, she called him "The Aristocrat" because she thought he looked so regal and handsome! I think she had a special spot for Chris and I loved to see their relationship grow in the short amount of time that they knew one another. They loved to play Rumicub together and Grandma would win every time! Grandma was so thoughtful. She had a little cottage that was built for her a few years ago where she would go to do all her crafting. She would make the most beautiful, special little cards that she would send us for our birthdays and holidays or just because. They were thoughtful and creative and I always envisioned her sitting in her cottage working away at these treasures. She loved poetry and would send beautiful poems to me in the mail with dried flowers attached to decorate them. She gave such great hugs. I will miss those. I loved that when she looked at you, she REALLY looked at you, she studied you and she seemed to appreciate whatever it was that you were saying or doing. Sometimes without you even noticing, she would be watching with a smile.
Grandma was truly an amazing woman. I love her so dearly. I will miss her so much. I'm grateful the many years and many memories I got to have with her. I know that I will have the opportunity to see her again someday and I am so grateful for that gift. Families are forever!

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane and Allan said...

Thank you Karli for that beautiful tribute to Grandma. It meant so much to Dad.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So sorry Karli- although we know what an amazing reunion she is having it is still hard to see her go. These are tender times. HUGS

4:32 PM  
Blogger britt said...

Kar, that was so special. I don't think I could say that half as eloquently as you did. Thank you for helping me remember and contemplate the many wonderful things about Grandma. Yes, her hands were so soft and wonderfully warn. I too loved all those special things about her. You said it perfectly!!

8:25 PM  
Blogger LizzieB said...

Karli the loving way you write about your Grandma makes me know I would just love her if I had met her. The time we have with those we love really is precious. Your perspective of the reality of the resurrection is right on. You are in our prayers.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones