RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: Note to self: Next time, just don't attempt it

Monday, June 22, 2009

Note to self: Next time, just don't attempt it

Well, I WANT to cry right now, but I figure it's better to just laugh. I had a bright idea. New baby, pictures of new baby, right? So, I booked a session with a really good photographer up here to do pictures when Taylor was about 2 weeks old. Then I thought, well, if we are doing pictures of Taylor, we might as well do some family shots too. Then Kaiya got sick, so the first session had to be rescheduled. The photographer was pretty busy so we had to book it out to Taylor being 4-weeks old. Then the photographer got sick. So, we rescheduled AGAIN to tonight. At some point, maybe I should have just assumed it wasn't meant to be. Taylor is now 5 weeks old and doesn't act so much like a NEW newborn who just lays there and sleeps all the time. But we we thought we would go for it anyway. I just have one word to describe tonight -- DISASTER. I need to repeat that -- DISASTER!!

I stress about pictures so much and they pretty much turned out how I completely envisioned the worst case scenerio! I did all the preparation -- went out and bought the outfits, scheduled a low-key day so everyone could get in good naps, planned plenty of time to get everyone ready so I wouldn't be stressed, fixed the girls' hair perfectly, got everyone fed, etc.,etc. And it still was bad. So bad, that honestly, I kinda felt like we should be starring in a movie -- a comedy of sorts. We got to the first spot and it was such a COOL place, but the lighting was not great. And Taylor's bow would not stay stuck to her head. And she started crying. And Kaiya decided to be completely and utterly shy. Would not even KIND-OF look at the camera. Even a little bit. So, we moved to a new spot. Taylor needed to be fed so we did that while the photographer attempted some shots of Kaiya. Kaiya still played shy. And started throwing tantrums. And I started to sweat in stress. And Chris stayed cool, as usual, but even he was getting frustrated. So, we loaded up in the car and drove to a new location and it just got worse from there. Kaiya pulled her hair out in the car. And continued to throw a fit, which created lots of cute snot -- perfect for pictures. The new location was a cute place -- not nearly as good as the first, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway, because I don't think we got one good shot there. I finally just told the photographer (who was such a good sport, even though we had to have been her most DIFFICULT clients ever) that we were done and that we would just hope there was a least one good shot there. (She is going to have to really WORK to find something!!)

I had visions in my head of these family photos. Adorable pictures of Kaiya and Taylor. Adorable pictures of Chris with his two little girls. Me with my cute little girls. A few of Chris and I in love. And candid family photos of all of us laughing and having fun. Kaiya wouldn't touch Taylor with a ten foot pole, so no Kaiya and Tay pics. None of Chris and the girls. None of me and the girls. And none of Chris and I, because let's face it, we were both so frustrated, there wasn't a ton of love being felt at that moment! But lots of pictures of each of us holding a screaming girl. In some, they took turns screaming. How nice of them! If we get ANY good shots, I will say that miracles do indeed happen! It's just such a shame that I had to pay money for what I'm sure will be pretty much nothing! Ughhhh. But after getting home and going outside to mow the lawn and get my frustration out, I am relaxed and I'm over it. And I can actually laugh about it. Maybe the best way to "capture" this memory, is to ask the photographer for all the pictures of Kaiya and Taylor screaming and Chris and I trying as hard as we possibly can to muster a half smile. I'll hang those up and laugh at this night.

Again, note to self: next time, just get the newborn shots and wait about 10 years before attempting another family photo!

And just to make me feel better, I'm posting these little gems of my own little photo shoot with Tay. (Kaiya will NOT cooperate with pictures anymore, and since Taylor does not have a choice, she gets the camera in her face a lot more often these days!)
It's a good thing these girls are so cute and we love them so much, because after tonight, we may have looked for a receipt to return them. Totally kidding!

13 Comments:

Blogger Allan and Diane said...

Oh Karli, I'm sorry but I had a REALLY good laugh. I could actually feel the frustration over the internet. And I'm glad you finished with Taylor's darling pictures--eat up that girl. And Kaiya looks so darling in her little sundress and ponytail. Life with 2 is TWICE as interesting.

1:31 AM  
Blogger Asplund Family said...

Oh Kar, I can totally understand your frustration. I feel like that every time we take pictures. I bet you will be surprised and there will be at least one shot that will melt your heart! But the pictures you take are so adorable it won't matter anyway!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Pictures are so frustrating! Adelaide is still difficult. I think maybe it's just better to wait until they're ten. How about that?

8:28 AM  
Blogger Cari said...

I've just come to the conclusion that I'll never get a good family picture. When they're young, they don't want to cooperate and when they're older, they think it's hilarious to make a face in every shot. Seriously, I think my boys have it planned out which one takes turns pulling some stupid face and they're teenagers! *sigh*

You have the most beautiful little girls! (But then you knew that right!?!)

9:24 AM  
Blogger LeAnn said...

I am soooo sorry that they did not turn out as you wanted!! I bet there will be some cute ones though! But.....I don't think our family pictures have EVER been fabulous, so I feel your pain! HILARIOUS now, but not then! I could just see the sweat beading up on you as you described your night, ha ha!! I can't wait to see how they turned out!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I bet some will turn out- its funny when people tell me how much they love the pictures of my kids and family in our house- all I can see is the memory of how TERRIBLE the experience was. Taking pictures with kids is HARD- but the older they get it has gotten a little easier because they understand bribes- and I mean I really have to bribe them for days:)

11:48 AM  
Blogger britt said...

We can all relate to the frustration of family pics! I can't remember who your photographer was-the girl who took Kaipo's preschool pics? Well, same situation, I expected NO good shots from that and got at least a half of dozen.
And why do you even need professionals of your girl(s) YOU do such a good job!!! Don't think I won't be asking you again :)
But I will cross my fingers for ya anyway, that YOU get what you paid for...at least ONE good pic!

8:49 PM  
Blogger Jamie and Family said...

Those are REALLLLLLLY cute!!!!

Oh my gosh, I felt so stressed reading your post!!! All I can say is been there and done that and it can make you feel like a VOLCANO!!!!!!!!! I mean, there is nothing like it! Esp when you were being so cautious to PREVENT any of the mishaps!!

And let me tell you, I still don't think I'm good at "letting go" when my girls pull their hair out! I mean, with jordyn and lexi they don't pull it out anymore, but they will cry HYSTERICALLY if I don't fix it the right way. And I need to find the secret to just let them have raggy hair....I don't think it will ever happen!

Did you get any pics of all the melt downs? Because THOSE would be priceless (once the frustrations wear off!!!)

5:08 PM  
Blogger Audrey said...

Oh my goodness... I have sooo been there! I look back at those pics and luckily they are some of my fave!
Just wanted to tell you congrats on your new baby girl! Angela told me and I was as excited for you as if you were my bff!
Your girls are just beautiful! Taylor looks adorable in green! Love it!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Janessa Couch said...

I love the that you posted. The outfit and blanket are so cute together. Family pics are always interesting. I would love to see how they turned out though.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Janessa Couch said...

Also, just to let you know that at ten you get different problems with pictures. They want to wear what they want to wear, do their hair the way they want to do their hair and smile the way they want to smile even if it looks really cheesy. The joys of capturing a memory. :)

10:38 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Cute pics of Tay. Entertaining story.

11:06 PM  
Blogger NAT said...

Whoa. I have been there, done that and it sucks. :) There's just no other word to describe the fiasco that can be family pictures (especially with toddlers).

Taylor is darling and I can't believe she's already so smiley. Beautiful family!

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones