RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: Don't Want to Forget

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Don't Want to Forget

Today, I was driving to the store and talking to Chris on the phone. I noticed there were flags lining the streets of our city. I thoughtlessly said to Chris, "that's weird, there are flags everywhere...what holiday is it?" He then gently reminded me that it was September 11th. Man, I felt stupid and a little shocked that I had been so clueless. Truth be told, now that I'm not working, I NEVER know what the date is and this day completely took me by surprise. Every year, when this day comes around, I am reminded of the impact that this particular date had on this country that I love. I don't think I have had a year since that day, seven years ago, that I haven't shed a few tears thinking back on it. I remember sitting in my room with my roommate, Amber, getting ready to go to class, turning on the radio and hearing for the first time what had happening and was happening in New York. I spent the rest of the day glued to the television, like most of us were, with such a heavy heart, not yet knowing the toll that would be taken on so many people's lives. Every year, I find myself never wanting to forget about that day. And yet, today, I almost did. Thank goodness for the good people of this city who remembered and reminded me to take a few minutes out of my day to say a little prayer for this country and for all those who lost someone that day. I really don't want to ever forget. And never want to take for granted how lucky we are to live in this country, for all its' faults, but also for all the incredible abundance of blessings we enjoy here. God bless the USA!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Wanderingfamilies said...

As always, thank you, for reminding me of the importance of life. God Bless America!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Allan and Diane said...

YES--GOD BLESS OUR WONDERFUL LAND OF FEEDOM. HOW WE REALLY APPRECIATE IT NOW!!

8:25 PM  
Blogger Mugs said...

Nice post, Kar. Isn't it unreal that our children will be able to ask us what we were doing on this day? Our lives will never be quite the same; such a tragedy, and yet so much goodness all at once.

8:30 PM  
Blogger NAT said...

Thanks for this post and your thoughts.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I feel the same way, the cluelessness AND the reminder. (once I remembered what day it was) You have such a beautiful way with words, thank you for sharing your thoughts like this.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones