A Little Peek
I have been hesitating to write much about this, and I'm not really sure why. Writing has always been therapy for me and the documentation of important events AND feelings are essential to our family journal. So, as we begin yet another journey to who knows where, I want to get down what I have been feeling. Here's a little peek into my head and heart right now.
Well, as I have posted, Kaiya turned one a few weeks ago, and with her hitting that year mark, we also became eligible to start the adoption process again, if we choose. (Our agency requires that your child be a year old before you start again.) In the months approaching Kaiya's birthday, we felt and decided that we would get started right away, as soon as Kaiya was one. I had even made phone calls to the local agency here in our area to discuss what, if anything, we could do before she was a year old to get a head start on the process. I also tried to start mentally and emotionally preparing myself for the new journey ahead, whatever it might be. As it was when we started Kaiya's adoption, I have been flooded with so many thoughts and feelings. Some stressful. Some scary. Many exciting. And a lot of asking if I was ready for this again.
About one week before Kaiya's birthday, Chris was talking with a co-worker about Kaiya's adoption and she mentioned to him that her daughter had tried to conceive for about 5 years as well and was introduced to a program that could possibly cover the cost of doing In Vitro. And come to find out, she did do IVF and it was covered! WOW! Thanks to private donations from people wanting to help with the horrendous costs of such procedures, a fund was created for people who qualify. This co-worker gave Chris the number to call and told him we should give it a try.
I'm not sure why, but this new possibility opened a whole new can of worms for me. A big can! Suddenly, I was staring my infertility in the face again. I was returning to so many of those thoughts and emotions that had plagued me for so many years. Thoughts and emotions that I really had not felt since we made the decision to move forward with Kaiya's adoption a few years ago. I can honestly say, that with the decision to adopt, so many of those very difficult, heart-wrenching emotions were put to rest and I was so at peace. Then, as we met Jessika, experienced the birth of our daughter, and have been busy with the joy of raising her this year, I really haven't thought much about my infertility. Now, with new possibilities comes old fears and worries. Chris and I have talked so much about this lately. I am again reminded of the absolute ROCK he has always been to me through these difficult things. He has a very special way of comforting me and helping me to feel that things are going to be ok. It really is a gift that he has and I can't count the number of times I have been on the receiving end of his calming assurance. I am so grateful to have him to journey with.
The truth is, a large part of me is EXCITED about the possibility of trying new things to get pregnant. I have always, always wanted to have the experience of being pregnant, creating life. Those feelings have never left me, but have definitely been paled a little bit with the arrival of Kaiya into our lives. So, IF it were possible, and IF we were given financial help to explore these options, and IF I was able to get pregnant, it is obvious how THRILLED we would be. Beyond description, in fact. BUT. Yes, there's always that but. BUT, maybe we won't qualify for this program and won't be able to afford the cost of trying new things. BUT, even if we do qualify, there are NO guarantees that anything will work. BUT, am I really ready to handle the hormonal, emotional, physical roller coaster I may have to get on to achieve such a blessing? I have been painfully reminded of the experiences of the past in trying to conceive and I just worry that I don't have the emotional reserve in me to handle that again. Truth be told, I'm even scared of our consultation with our specialist this Friday. I am reminded of the fact that we can't help but have our hopes stretched higher when we are trying new things, but that also means our fall of disappointment is that much harder. Those were some of the hardest, lonliest, heartbreaking days I have ever had in my life, finding out that something we had tried failed yet again. I have experienced so many of those old emtions in the psat few weeks. I have been angry that it can't be easier for us. I have been scared of what the future holds in terms of what we will have to go through to have more children. And yet, I have also been peaceful when I think of all that has happened to us in the past few years, witnessing the miraculous hand of God working on our behalf. I have been humbled by the sacredness of families and how they come to be. I have been grateful that amidst all the heartache, we have been blessed beyond measure and look into the face of our daughter each and every day, knowing she is really ours. I have been stressed when I read over our packet from the clinic, explaining costs and procedures and tests and possible risks. I am realizing that with the excitement of these new possibilities also comes a myriad of other emotions that I had tucked away for a long time, but had never really left me. And now they resurface. And I'm finding that little pit in my stomach is still there and it still hurts a little bit.
The reality for us, however, is very optimistic, right? I mean, even if we don't qualify and can't explore these new options right now, even if we are never able to get pregnant, Kaiya is proof beyond doubt that we can still grow our family. And it's not like adoption doesn't have its' whole can of worms in and of itself! There are equally as many risks and concerns and emotional highs and lows in that realm as well for everyone involved. There really probably isn't any easy way for us. That is just our reality. BUT, I know without a doubt that there are more children to be in our family. I don't know how they will get here, but I know that the Lord does, and He will provide a way. He has done that for us already and I have faith in His plan for our family. So, whatever happens in the months to come, whatever decisions have to be made, whatever emotional or physical pain and stress is to be experienced, I know we will reap the blessings when we look into the eyes of our next child and it will all be worth it. The reminder of that is what will have to mute the fear I feel about the coming months. Focusing on the excitement of it all and not the stress, right?
So, there's a little peek. I'm sure there will be much more to come in the coming months, but I will make sure to document the journey. As our blog header says, "wherever life takes us"... Here we go!!





21 Comments:
Hi Karli,
My name is Kaylee Cook. One of my high school friends, Katie Valentine told me about your blog several months ago and I have enjoyed reading about your adoption process and the highs and lows that come with infertility. My husband and I have tried to start a family for 3 1/2 years. This past summer we did IVF and had our hopes up high that it would work. Everything went wonderful with our cycle, up until they did the embryo transfer. We put 2 perfect embryo's in and neither of them attached. So now we are left wondering what direction should we move next. We have decided to make an appointment with LDS services and start that whole process. We haven't totally ruled out IVF and we would like to try it again, but I don't know how much longer I can emotional go without starting our family. Good Luck with your appointment on Friday. The staff at the U are great to work with. What doctor will you be seeing. I would highly recommend Dr. Hatasaka. We have worked with many of the doctors there and feel like he spends the most time with his patients explaining things and making you feel relaxed.
good luck to you Karli. Just remember, Kaiya is living proof that where there's a will there's a way>
This is all too familiar to me! As you know, we are almost in the exact same spot as you. Our boy is one next month, and we are going in next week to start everything to adopt again. Like you, we've had such a wonderful experience with our first adoption, but there is that unknown that always accompanies adoption. What will our next birthmother be like, will we have to go through another failed placement, will we be lucky enough to get a situation as good as we have now with our new baby? You know.
We tried in vitro before we adopted and it failed. I'm happy to let go of that side of my infertility because of all the baggage that it brings with it. Like you mentioned - not to say we'd never try again, but for now the answer is no for us. I just can't face it again. The ups and downs, the drugs, the pain, the risk.)
I wish you happiness and success in whatever path you go down (even if it's both at the same time - we did that. Just kept all our options open!) Here's to hoping we both get our next babies sooner then later! Good luck!
Good Luck Karli. You are such a strength to the YW in our ward. I feel so lucky to serve with you! Thank you so much for your comments today on my lesson. You have such a strong testimony and the girls look up to you! You hit it right on the head on the point I was trying to get across! Thank you again and I am glad that I am getting to know you a lot better....you are awesome! Let us know if you need anything!
I am a silent reader of your blog, which I found through Brenley and Bryce. I am in a very similar place as you and reading your blog strengthens me so much. You put into words what I have a hard time doing. Your expression helps me express-thank you! when we were living in Provo, we made the 1 hour drive many times to the U with IVF and other treatments. We worked with Dr. Peterson and LOVED him, part of what made moving so hard was knowing we couldnt work with him. He has become a figure in our lives and I love him! I breifly worked with all the doctors there and they were just excellent as well.
Although this is a public forum, I think it is wonderful and even necessary at times for you to share your feelings like this. Your feelings fall into the hands of so many who love and support you, and give us insight and understanding. And, along the way, it sounds like you also give voice to many others who can see themselves in you!
What you are doing is closing your eyes and JUMPING off the plane, ready to dive back into some of the hardest stuff you've EVER been through (with both adoption and attempts to defeat infertility).....and you feel like you don't have a parachute on. So you are scared of falling and how bad it will hurt. But what you don't know is you DO have your parachute on and even though the ride might feel scary, somehow you will have a soft landing in a place that is meant for you and Chris and your family!
you just voiced my thoughts exactly. when our beautiful boy turned 1 we tried IVF for the second time... it didn't work. we took a break from everything and are now "paper pregnant" with our second. its the right decision for our family and i know we will be blessed with another beautiful child. we so look forward to this second adoption journey :)
good luck to you guys!
Good luck, Karli. I hope everything goes well for you. I'm sure you will be able to receive the blessing of another child one way or another. You deserve it! You are lucky to have such a supportive husband at your side.
God bless you Karli!!! I know you will continue to be an amazing mother, whichever way your family grows. Good luck! And thank you for sharing! I know you are helping so many people who share your same situations and feeling, and also helping those of us who have not fully experienced this particular challenge, so we can have a somewhat better understanding and empathy for our sisters going through this. You have such a beautiful way to sharing your feelings, thank you so much!
My goodness, life is full of so many options some times! What's nice is that life will bring what it will bring. Things always work out as they should. I'm excited for you guys no matter what comes your way, it will be great!
I wanted to let you know we did this program in april of 2007 and miraculously, for whatever reason,after 6 years of trying we were able to have our son. He was born in December and is perfect.
The Hart Family
Karli,
You expressed all the feelings that I was never able to express when thinking of doing IVF. We are blessed to now have our daughter thanks to that procedure and we are blessed to have our son thanks to adoption.
We love you guys and will keep you in our prayers through your journey ahead!
we love you guys to pieces!!! thanks for sharing these emotions with us.
love ya!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings! It looks like you have really hit a soft spot for so many and this helps to not feel alone in the giant called infertility!
McCoy turns 1 in three months and we are not sure yet about turning in our paperwork again yet.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings! I'm crossing my fingers for you!
I'm excited for your new adventure. You handle what ever comes your way so beautifully. Ever since I met you, you've always amazed me and I look up to you in a lot of ways. Good luck with everything!
P.S. I'm glad Kaylee left a comment. She said she might want to talk to you.
You really did hit the nail on the head. I think we ruled out IVF a while ago, not because we don't want to ever try it (there is always someday) but we are so scared to try that process with so much gain and so much emotional strife also. My heart is with you. We are at a crossroads right now trying to decide some things as well. You will get there with all of us behind you!
For reals?!?! She is 1!?!? Holy cow! Time really does fly!
hi!
I too am a silent reader... we did 10 years of infertility. 10 years of heartache, misery, etc. We had an adoption lined up and at the last moment the mom pulled out. I seriously didn't think I could take any more and was questioning myself and my faith.
This last fall my cousin (who I haven't talked to in YEARS) talked to my mom and asked if we were interested in IVF (she didn't know anything about our sitiation except that we hadn't been able to have kids.... and after the failed adoption we had been discussing IVF)... my cousing after 14 years of infertility was expecting a baby and wanted to pass on the information that she had.
Long story short we called her Doctor fell in love with him and And after 11 years of marriage and 10 years of fertility treatments we're having a baby boy in two weeks through the miracle of IVF. I don'[t want to give false hope. I hated when people gave false hope... but I loved this team of Dr's... I know you live in utah but am not sure where... this Dr. is in Utah Valley.
If you decide you want information or want to chat about the process let me know.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think there is a special place in heaven for Infertility women. There has to be. It's the only way I can bear it sometimes.
MaryRuth Francks
cajunfrancks@aol.com
p.s. I think its great you posted. I know its hard to put yourself out there but I think there is a healing in knowing that others are struggling with the same issues. there have been a million times that I've felt like I was the "only one"... it's always nice and reassuring to know that I'm not.
Karli - My thoughts and prayers are definitely with you during this time. Didn't you have the consultation this past Friday? How did things go? Keep us posted.
Post a Comment
<< Home