RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: What a day and what a guy!

Thursday, September 20, 2007

What a day and what a guy!

Well it did not start out as the best day. I had to be at work early today because I had a meeting I could not miss. I had it all planned out in my head how things needed to go (what time I needed to get up, what time I needed to get Kaiya up and fed, so I could walk out the door on time, etc.), but as you mother's know, planning with a baby is something to laugh at! I got myself up and ready and got Kaiya all changed and started feeding her and then things went downhill. She was not eating well at all. In fact most of her bottle ended up spilling down the sides of her mouth while she was grunting and fussing and pushing, red face and all. So, I would pull the bottle out, burp her a bit, and wait till her body relaxed. But then it seemed that the moment I put the bottle back in her mouth, it was spilling out the sides again. She only made it through half of that. At this point, since it took me an hour to try to get her to swallow down only half the bottle, I was running out of time and needed to be getting out the door. I strapped her in, she seemed pretty asleep, so on our way we went. As I'm sitting at the light to turn into UVSC, while talking to Chris telling him about Kaiya's not so good feeding, I hear this projectile hurl from the backseat, followed by the coughing and choking that makes your heart stop. So, I drop the phone and with the one-handed mommy reach from the front seat, tried to help Kaiya catch her breath. Poor thing. You have to understand that she has spit up MAYBE 4 times since she was born, and this one was HUGE! Hence the reason it caused me major panic. I'm surprised it didn't cover the back window! So, with nowhere to go, surrounded by cars on both sides and stopped at the light, I sat there and waited for the light change, then hurried and parked at UVSC and rushed back to see the damage. Spit-up everywhere on the clothes and the carseat and blanket, Kaiya back asleep like nothing had happened, and me with about 10 minutes to get to my meeting. In the hurry of it all, I forgot to call Chris back and let him know that everything was ok. So, I got Kaiya as cleaned up as I could, left her with my good friend at work (who was a life-saver at this point) and ran off to my meeting, holding back my tears so I wouldn't have to deal with the "what's wrong?" questions. I was so wishing that I could just be at home, instead of having to rush off to a meeting or even be at work at all. When I came back to pick Kaiya up from my friend, there was Chris, standing there with a smile on his face. I don't think I have ever been so happy and relieved to see him. Once again, fighting back my tears, I gave him a hug and he just says, in his gentle and relaxing way, "I just came to take Kaiya for awhile so you could get the stuff done that you needed to today." He had left work, told his boss he needed the day off, and drove all the way home from Salt Lake an hour after he had arrived there, just to help me out. It may seem like a small thing, but for me today, it meant the world. I felt so much gratitude for my sweet guy and love him so much for all that he does for us. He took Kaiya home, got her all changed (she had also had an explosion out the other end) and when I talked to him a little while ago, all I could hear was baby Kaiya cooing in the background. Maybe she just needed her daddy today and he definitely came to the rescue!
I realized today that being a mommy and also trying to keep up with work is hard. I am fortunate to be able to take a lot of time off, but that also means that on the days I do come in, there is about 5 times as much stuff to do in about a fifth of the time. And Kaiya is usually sooo easy and sleeps the whole time so I can get my work done. But then there are also days when she wants to be awake and needs her mom when work needs her mom too, and those are the times when things get complicated. Don't get me wrong, I am one lucky girl and have very little to complain about. But today, I think I am feeling and experiencing what I'm sure so many of you have felt over and over and over again -- being a mom is the most rewarding and wonderful experience ever, but it is also HARD work!
And that's it. Just needed to get that out! It's funny, though, because now I can't wait to get back home and hold and kiss my baby girl! Ahhh....breathe!

17 Comments:

Blogger britt said...

I completely understand! Over the years, when I have needed to work full time and be a full time mom, it has been soo challenging! I am grateful that at this time I am able to stay home with the kids (most days anyways, haha). Every mom understands how you felt today. Unfortunately, this wasn't the last day like it, but luckily they are few and far between!!
love ya

2:49 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I love at the very end you wrote "breathe". It's so true. You have to just stop and take a breath sometimes. Life is crazy but wonderful at the same time!

3:01 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

What a wonderful husband you have! That is such a sweet story. I have not had to "work" with a new baby, but I have had plenty of work to do around the house, computer, errands, etc. The moby wrap, or some other snuggling front pack was a life-saver, do you have one? I don't know what kind of work you do, but as Kayia gets older, it might be soemthing to consider? I liked that I could put Eddie facing in or out, or lay him across to sleep, I loved it. Just a thought. :) Good luck!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Cari said...

Yay Chris! You get the prize for "Best Husband" today! And, "Yay Karli!" for not bursting into tears! I'm sorry today was so hard. Unfortunately, it won't be the last day like this but fortunately, there are 1000's of good days to balance it out!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Mugs said...

You two are making it happen, and Chris is a champion. This is a good man. He knows that you give everything 110% and wants to meet you half way. I totally understand what you described in this post. Thanks for sharing Karli.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Always vent when needed. It is a mothers only sanity sometimes.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Chelley said...

You handled that so well... trust me I have jumped out at the traffic ligths with people honking there horns at me!!

It is the toughest job in the world but the more rewarding...

9:37 PM  
Blogger NAT said...

Wow, I'm a baby, cuz I teared up when I read the part where Chris came to your rescue & what he said. What a good man you have there & what a good woman he has. You two are such an amazing couple & a good example of how to make a marriage work.

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have my "it's tough being a mom" days. We all have them, so you are NOT alone. You probably handled it better than I would have, though.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds stressful. I didn't know you were still going to work!

8:16 AM  
Blogger C. Jane Kendrick said...

Your story has me all choked up. You guys are the best.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

such a sweet story.. Way to go Chris!! You're makin' all the husbands look bad again! :) J/K Nice work! Karli, you're such a sweet mom, and I'm so impressed that you stuck the day out!!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Jamie and Family said...

Having ANY kind of time constraint with a baby is a joke.

Your stressful situation would have made tears come to my eyes too. Chris sure listened to his inner "voice" today!!!

Thanks for sharing!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Cox Family said...

Wow.. Ur daughter is the most precious lil girl I have ever seen.. sorry I havent been on for a long time so it's been a while since I have seen her... You guy's look like incredible parents.. And all her new lil friends... aww... well I hope all is well.. which it looks that way.. just thought I would stop in and say hi..

4:38 PM  
Blogger julie said...

You are so lucky to have someone to come to your rescue! I still cry sometimes when I drop Ava off in the morning and she cries and holds onto my leg. It makes me feel like the worst mom in the world! Kaiya is beautiful and it looks and sounds like you are an awesome mom.

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How sweet. What a good daddy/ husband.

:)

6:48 PM  
Blogger Daytrippingmom Media said...

I can totally relate. It is really tough being a mom and having to work.. I also work from home but have to go into the office once and a while and it can be very hard. I think you handled it like a pro and you have one awesome hubby. Hooray for hubbies that save the day.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

good job chris:)

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones