A little "Joy" in the midst of life's trials!


Last weekend, one of my best friends, Joy, came to Utah and we were able to get together for a few hours to catch up. It was great to see her! Joy was one of my 5 roomates my freshman year at BYU and after an amazing bond was created between the 5 of us, Joy and I have remained friends for about 9 years. She now lives in Texas, so we don't get to see each other very often. I just love Joy and am soooo happy that we got to see each other again, since it had been about a year!
On a different note, which does not bring me much "joy" I am alone for the weekend! Chris left for Arizona early this morning and won't be back until late Sunday night. He was invited to present a research project he has been doing with one of his professors at a conference, which is a wonderful opportunity. But that also means that I am home without him all weekend. I don't know what happened when I got married, but it used to be, when I was single, that I could be at home by myself and have no problems. Now, every time Chris is gone, I HATE it! I can't sleep alone, I spend the whole time missing him and counting down the days until he gets back. It's kinda pathetic, but I just miss him so much when he's away! A few days ago he took me to the video store and rented me a ton of chick flicks to keep me busy (also good insurance that he won't have to watch them with me)! I imagine I will spend the weekend vegging out watching love stories! It's only a few days, but still!
And on a much more depressing note (sorry), which contains no "joy", I have been feeling really blue lately with trying to have children. It has been interesting for me to experience how some months, I am really fine and able to deal with the disappointment of finding out once again that it isn't happening. And then there are the months like this one, where the frustration and ache of it all just seems to be too much. And I hate talking about it because I know that there just isn't a whole lot else that anyone can say that hasn't already been said and I don't want people to feel awkward, like they have to say something. But sometimes the silent aches in my heart just can't be silent anymore, and I have to let them out even if it's just for my own sanity. I know that each and every person has their own set of very personal struggles and heartaches and for many, many people, theirs are so much worse than mine. But for me, this struggle is very real and very hard, and something that I think about on a daily basis. I think about all of the babies out there who are born unwanted or into environments of instability or lack of love, and I wonder why could those children not have been sent to someone who is longing and wants nothing more than to love them and provide for them? It's hard not to feel a small sense of bitterness, but I've learned that there is just no good that can come from those feelings and that they just tend to make things worse, so they need to be avoided. I feel like we are and have been at a crossroads for some time now, trying to decide where to go from here. The idea of adoption is definitely an option high on our list, but it's hard to get to that difinitive point, since we have never been told outright that there is any one thing that determines that we absolutely cannot have children on our own. So, I feel like until that happens, I will always hope and wonder if there is something more that we can do to have our own children. If adoption becomes our answer, I know I will embrace that with all of my heart and I know that I will love that child as it was my own. But right now, I still am hoping that I can experience pregnancy, to feel my own child growing in my belly and everything that comes with that experience (I know some of you could do without the pregnancy part :) and to share that with Chris. On the other hand, the cost of infertility treatments (IVF, etc) is so outrageous and seemingly impossible for us right now, that I feel stuck on that option as well. And it makes me so mad that we even have to take money into consideration on something that is so sacred and important, but it is a fact of life. I can't even begin to count the amount of prayers that we have sent, asking for our children and asking for direction on how to bring them here, but still feel like I am searching. I hope and pray that one day (hopefully in the near future) this will all be a memory and when I look back and read things like this blog, this sense of sadness and aching will be replaced by an abundance of love and amazement for the child that is finally mine. Until then, we wait....
I feel bad that this post turned so depressing, when it started out so happy, being able to spend time with Joy. Sorry, Joy! I really did love seeing you!





7 Comments:
So glad your friend was able to visit.
Tiffany
I know you've probably considred this but you can adopt and still try to have kids too. I have an aunt that once she adopted she found out she was pregnant and her kids are just 7 monts apart. She then had another girl and adopted another boy. I am so sorry you have to feel this pain.
I'm sure a big part of the pain and frustration comes from the feeling of fumbling through darkness, not knowing how to proceed and what part to take into your own hands (like IVF or adoption). I'm sure it's a very alone and lost feeling, like you're standing still with your feel glued in one place and all you really want is to move forward. You're right that SOMEday you'll look back with joy and see where the path took you...but at the moment the heartache sounds unbearable. I sure wish I could say something that no one else has ever thought of that would be the magical thing. I sure love you guys.
Hi! I found your blog through Debbie's and I just had to add some commiseration.
I am in a similar situation (unexplained infertility - coming up on 2 years of TTC) and while I don't have any huge advice, I just have to say that I get everything you're talking about. Everything about this is hard - remember when the thought of babies used to be fun? Me neither. :P
Good luck with your decision - I'm sure your answer will come, and I hope it doesn't take too much longer.
:)
Hi I found your website through Jamie (she is our cousin :) ) and just had to write you and let you know that I know exactly what you are going through. My husband and I tried for almost 4 years and it really it's such a big trial. I felt so all alone and sometimes just so Bitter. I know that fertility treatments can be so expensive - have you ever ventured out to look at alternative medicine? I honestly believe that's what really helped me. There is a supplement called Fertility Blend- they sell it at some of the large chain drugstores. It's in a green bottle- You can also buy it on the net. It helps regulate your periods and hormones. I believe with all my heart that it helped me. Another couple of supplements which can help and are very inexpensive and you can find at your local health food store are DONG QUAI- which is a great Chinese herb and Vitex, sometimes called Chasteberry. I would try both of those supplements along with the Fertility Blend. The Fertility Blend runs about 30-35 for a month supply. Also for your hubby- zinc is a great supplement. My Specialist suggested zinc for my husband to increase his count. There are also a couple of sites on the net that offer a wealth of info and also a chance to chat with other women that are on the same journey. One of my favorites is tryingtoconceive.com- great source of info. After 4 long years I finally became pregnant and had a healthy little girl last year. I am currently pregnant with my second one- I hope this helps. If you have any questions please email me at aracelyworley@yahoo.com.
Hi sis
I read your bog today and my heart just ached for you and how you are feeling and especially that there is nothing I can really say or do. I also don't even understand because for some reason I have been blessed with children, which I am so grateful for. I just think you are a MUCh stronger person than I am, that is why YOU have been given this challenge in your life. I fonly we understood life's unexpected. Know that I love you so much and am always here for you.
ps I will also be feeling your loneliness soon. Quinn is going to a training for 10 days! We are far away from everyone and don't know anyone here.
Keep in touch and I am always here to listen
Britt
Oh Spolecnice. I have tears on my cheeks. I don't have the right words. I love you. I know that you will find your peace. I know it with all my heart. I'm so sorry that I didn't read this sooner. I hope you can feel my hopes for you from your head to your toes. Every good thing is yours to have. I promise. Love, Love, Love Camille
Post a Comment
<< Home