A very special day
Well, this post should have been titled "A very special weekend", but that's a story in and of itself. You see, this weekend WAS supposed to be special. My entire family was in town -- all my siblings and all of their spouses and children! This is not the most common occurrence so I was soooo excited! I knew it would be a little tricky to get out and do a ton with everyone since Avery would only be 11 days old, but still, I was very excited for everyone to meet her and to spend time with my family!
Then Thursday night came. And mastitis came with it. WOW. That's really all there is to say. I understand why I had never even heard of this awful, horrible thing -- because nobody wants to tell you just how awful and horrible it is. And I think everyone who has had it has blocked it out so they never have to remember it again! It came on and within about an hour, I was completely laid out. Dead almost. Worse than any flu I have ever experienced. I didn't understand what was happening, but after a little internet research, knew exactly what was happening. For the next 3-4 days, I had 104 temperature, aches, chills, completely drained of every ounce of energy, and that's not even talking about the pain that I won't be talking about on this blog (girls, I know you feel me)! Thank goodness this all went down over the weekend when Chris was home because I honestly could not even get out of bed and he stepped in and took care of everything (including me) like he always does. But on the other hand, did it HAVE to happen on this particular weekend?! When my whole family was here?! I was so incredibly bummed and missed out on everything.
BUT the silver lining to all of this was today. Today, I decided that this dang illness was not going to keep me away from my family. Today was my parents "farewell", where they speak at church in preparation for leaving for their mission. I knew I would regret not being there to hear them speak, so we ventured out -- sick mama and brand new baby and all. And I am soooo glad we did. It was so wonderful to see my whole family gathered together in support of the parents that we love so dearly. My parents did such an incredible job. Their talks were touching, inspiring, funny, and gave me such a boost. I could not have been more proud. Have I mentioned how much I love these two? Honestly, two better people could not be found.
And to add to such a wonderful, special day, my grandma flew out to surprise my mom so I was able to see her and some of our other relatives who came out for the farewell. We all gathered at mom and dad's house after for some delicious grub and much needed catching up and time spent together. Avery was introduced to all her loving family members (but pretty much slept through all of that)! And then we had to leave because I was just wiped out and needed to get myself back to bed. But I left happy and grateful for the very short time I was able to spend with everyone. It lifted my spirits so much. And to be able to share this day with my parents...I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
Just a few more weeks of time before they leave for Germany and many wonderful and exciting and life-changing adventures. And many, many lives that I know they will touch. I can't think too much about it. It is always bitter sweet. But I will remember today and be grateful.
Here's hoping that this dang "M" word is on its' way out.
Then Thursday night came. And mastitis came with it. WOW. That's really all there is to say. I understand why I had never even heard of this awful, horrible thing -- because nobody wants to tell you just how awful and horrible it is. And I think everyone who has had it has blocked it out so they never have to remember it again! It came on and within about an hour, I was completely laid out. Dead almost. Worse than any flu I have ever experienced. I didn't understand what was happening, but after a little internet research, knew exactly what was happening. For the next 3-4 days, I had 104 temperature, aches, chills, completely drained of every ounce of energy, and that's not even talking about the pain that I won't be talking about on this blog (girls, I know you feel me)! Thank goodness this all went down over the weekend when Chris was home because I honestly could not even get out of bed and he stepped in and took care of everything (including me) like he always does. But on the other hand, did it HAVE to happen on this particular weekend?! When my whole family was here?! I was so incredibly bummed and missed out on everything.
BUT the silver lining to all of this was today. Today, I decided that this dang illness was not going to keep me away from my family. Today was my parents "farewell", where they speak at church in preparation for leaving for their mission. I knew I would regret not being there to hear them speak, so we ventured out -- sick mama and brand new baby and all. And I am soooo glad we did. It was so wonderful to see my whole family gathered together in support of the parents that we love so dearly. My parents did such an incredible job. Their talks were touching, inspiring, funny, and gave me such a boost. I could not have been more proud. Have I mentioned how much I love these two? Honestly, two better people could not be found.
And to add to such a wonderful, special day, my grandma flew out to surprise my mom so I was able to see her and some of our other relatives who came out for the farewell. We all gathered at mom and dad's house after for some delicious grub and much needed catching up and time spent together. Avery was introduced to all her loving family members (but pretty much slept through all of that)! And then we had to leave because I was just wiped out and needed to get myself back to bed. But I left happy and grateful for the very short time I was able to spend with everyone. It lifted my spirits so much. And to be able to share this day with my parents...I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
Just a few more weeks of time before they leave for Germany and many wonderful and exciting and life-changing adventures. And many, many lives that I know they will touch. I can't think too much about it. It is always bitter sweet. But I will remember today and be grateful.
Here's hoping that this dang "M" word is on its' way out.





8 Comments:
OH MY KARLI......I had mastitis when Grant was 1 week old this time! Next time (FYI) call your dr. ASAP and get an antibiotic. I got on it right after my fever spiked and it was gone by morning. I am soooo sorry that you suffered through it for 4 days. It's the worst..seriously!!!
I've been checking in, but rarely have a chance to comment since I usual do my blog surfing while I'm nursing (and it's hard to type and nurse at the same time). But, I have a chance right now... so, I just wanted to tell you how wonderful it is to see your happy little family with its newest addition! It's so amazing how much your girls look alike.
And, I'm so sorry you got mastitis. I was so paranoid about getting it (because I had heard horror stories about it), that at the slightest sign of a clogged duct, I was doing everything possible to clear things up. I can't imagine how awful it must have been... I hope it's gone for good now.
Oh kar, I am so sorry. It is truly so horrible! I think I was on the phone with you while driving to the dr. When I had it with trev. Seriously sucks! Hang in there my dear
Friend. Wish I lived closer and could bring in dinner and a heating pad;). Good luck!
I love reading your blog. It always brings tears to my eyes and it inspires me. Thank you!
I am sorry you had mastitis, I have never fully had it but felt it coming on twice and kicked it out before it had a chance but I am so glad you have a lot of help and loving family around.
You have such a beautiful family.
OH! I am SO sorry! I had mastitis when Maizy was teeny and HOLY COW! It is PAINFUL and knocks it right out of ya...sorry!
We were truly surprised and so happy that you were able to come for part of our special day. It would not have been complete without your family. Glad you are on the mend.
I was soo happy to see you on Sunday, and of course a bit surprised. I think mom and dad received lots of great surprises that day! But I completely understand the feeling you were having about missing it. I am sure I would have felt the same! I was also glad to hear from mom that you are feeling tons better today!! Yeah, and hoping that nasty "M" NEVER returns!!!!
love ya Kar
You poor thing...seriously get the anitbiotic, it really works wonders!! But maybe you already have it and it is still kicking your bottom, I a so sorry I feel your pain! I hope you get over it very soon!
Post a Comment
<< Home