RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: To have girls...

Friday, January 21, 2011

To have girls...

Let me start this post off by confessing that I am NOT crafty! Not even a little bit! It is something that I have learned to be ok with throughout my life and I am happy to admire OTHER people's talents in this area!

BUT, in saying that, I also will now have three girls. There is something about having a house full of females that adds this weird pressure for me to become more crafty. So, I am making efforts...and to be honest, I am enjoying it quite a bit more than I thought I would! I kind of love taking on new little projects -- sometimes they have turned out pretty good, other times, they go in the trash! But I feel like it is important for me to help my girls nurture their creativity by nurturing my own and learning some things that I can pass onto them! I will say, I have completely given up on sewing. It's just not going to be something I ever learn or care to learn how to do. They will have to learn that skill from grandma or from somewhere else! Maybe they will be the ones who end up teaching me! But I will give other things a try!

Anyway, with the pending arrival of our THIRD girl, I realized how sick I am of paying money for hair bows. My girls don't wear them a ton anyway on a daily basis. And let's be honest, most of the time, they rip them out anyway. So, it feels like a waste of money -- and man, have I wasted a lot of money over the past few years on them! Soooo, I decided to make my own. I spent maybe $15 on all the supplies I needed, and still have tons and tons of fabric left over. I have made about 25 bows up to this point and if I had purchased these somewhere else, I would have easily spent $50-$100! CRAZY! So, for that reason alone, I am proud of my accomplishment and the money I have saved. And for my first attempt, I am pretty happy with how they turned out! The girls sampled a few at church on Sunday, and they stayed in their hair and didn't fall apart, so I guess that's a good sign! I made bigger ones for the older girls (and even some of them I will wear myself) and then made several smaller replicas for baby girl that I will attach to some elastic for headbands. (I don't think babies should wear such massive bows on their heads -- I personally think it looks ridiculous!)

Anyway, this was such a surprisingly easy and fast project and with all the left over material, I'm sure I will continue to make my own and not spend any more money on silly hair bows! I learned a lot of little things that I will do differently next time and have a few different patterns of types of bows I want to try in the future, so we'll see how that goes! For now, we have a good assortment to last us awhile! And can I just give myself a little pat -- this is sooooo not normal for me to MAKE something crafty!! YAY!
(And the mini bows for baby's headbands.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Amy D. said...

So cute! I'm jealous of all that estrogen that will be running around your house. As Livi says, "We're going to be boy trapped." Getting so close! Can't wait to hear the good news.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

so cute karli!!!

6:29 PM  
Blogger Janessa Couch said...

I did the same thing and I love making bows. Yours are different then mine and I LOVE them! I too think that the huge bows in babies looks quite funny. :)

10:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So cute! Savannah is not girlie that way- in other ways though. I always try to buy her bows and once in a while she will wear one. But I LOVE yours and will maybe be inspired to make one- Savannah actually puts them in cannon's hair lately HA HA HA. I am jealous of all those cute girls. I can't imagine. IT is a house full of crazy boys here which is so foreign to me:) But it is fun too. But full of hospital visits AHHH. Good luck in the next few weeks. Try to enjoy every moment and learn to let things go- that is what I have had to do and it is OK. It is worth it.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Diane and Allan said...

Wow, that last minute energy boost of yours has helped to produce some DARN CUTE creations!! I'm impressed and can't wait to see them "on the runway". Now get real about your lack of creativity....who writes the most amazing blogs, books, essays. Now it is just coming out in something for the outside of the head!

12:58 PM  
Blogger britt said...

way to go! You definitely have to give me some lessons on those. I got the burn ones down, but I need your epxertise on the others!

10:08 PM  
Blogger Ani said...

so cute! how do you make these????

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones