RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: Taylor -- 18 months

Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Taylor -- 18 months

I'm so behind! My little baby -- soon to be middle child -- turned 18 months old back in November and I wanted to do a little update on her right now! Btw, how on earth is she already over 18 months?! No fair! Slow down, Tay-tay! Life is moving way too fast!
At her doctor's appointment, she weighed 22.5 lbs (18th percentile) and was 33 inches long (75th percentile).
This has been her trend ever since she was born -- she is a tall, skinny thing with a long torso and long leggies and a big head! She really is kind of like an orange on a toothpick! Hehe!

Yes, she still looks just like her daddy, as you can tell, but I will say for all of you who didn't know me as a 1 1/2 year old (pretty much all of you), Taylor looks so much like I did at her age! I know, it's hard to see that when all you can see is daddy, but I promise, if you saw a picture of me at her age, you would realize that I DID contribute something to her looks!

Tay has got the most beautiful little curls in that strawberry hair of hers and it is such a treat for me to have TWO girls with curly hair because I always wanted that for myself! It also makes their hair soooo easy to fix -- just comb it out and let the curls take over! Tay had her first hair cut a few weeks ago and she hated it! Mainly because she had been to the doctor to get her immunizations the week earlier and for some reason, she thought she was back in the doctor's office and she was TERRIFIED that they were going to poke her! So, she nestled her head into my chest and shook the whole time! It was so sad! But she made it and got her little mullet all trimmed up!Oh yeah, and she also has some seriously great bed hair after naps too!
Tay is a really active, curious little girl -- always has been. She has very few things that she is afraid of and will try almost anything. It definitely keeps us on our toes! She loves to climb and explore and get into everything she shouldn't! But I do love her big, blue eyes, always open to finding new things in her world, always looking for the next thing to touch or throw or put in her mouth! For example, the other day, I came out to find her digging through our trash, sampling some of the decaying goods in there -- yeah, wonderful, huh?! Another heart attack come and gone for mom!

She has the funniest little walk, always on her tip-toes. And when she's in a hurry (usually when big sister is chasing her to take something away), those little legs move so fast and her little knees get higher and higher the faster she tries to go! Makes us laugh every time!

Taylor is very good at talking right now. She loves to hold anything up to ear and pretend she is on the phone and will totally disappear into her own world, telling all sorts of stories to whoever is on the other line! She can count to 10 (with some help), knows a lot of the alphabet, and loves to say ANYTHING you tell her repeat! When she wakes up in the morning, you can hear her in her room yelling, "Hold you?" (meaning come and pick her up). I am really always amazed to hear her communicate something that I didn't even know she knew how to say and how much she picks up just from being around her sister and us. She is really getting good at communicating what she wants and talking with Kaiya about all sorts of stuff! She also really understands so much and is really good at responding when we ask her to do something. My favorite thing is when you ask her if she wants something in particular or if she wants to do some certain thing and she is really excited about it, she gives you this roar of a "Yeaahhhh!!!" like there is nothing better in the world!

Taylor is my bottle baby. Kaiya was binkies, Taylor is bottles. I hate it. Now that I've had one of each, I PRAY our next is a binkie girl. So much easier! Taylor uses the bottle for her pacifier and it's a horrible habit! We have tried so many times to get her onto a sippy cup and I'm pretty sure she would rather die of thirst. I've kind of resigned myself to let the bottle help her through the transition of the new baby for a month or two and then it's going to be time for some serious tough love and those bottles are GONE!
She sleeps really, really well right now. Not long ago, we went through a month or two of some crazy phase where she was waking up 2-3 times a night. I think it was her molars coming in and she was pretty miserable. So, one night, we decided to let her cry it out. It took her TWO hours of crying, and was absolute torture for us to not be able to go and comfort her, but the very next night, she was sleeping sound again and has been on a good 11-12 hour/night routine ever since. Thank goodness! And she still takes a good 3 hour nap in the afternoon.

Speaking of molars, she almost has a full set of teeth these days. She recently had her fang teeth come in and her molars, so the smile is getting more and more complete! And my goodness, does she have the cutest smile in the world!! The dimples just melt me! She has a certain sparkle in her smile -- the kind of smile where it shows in her entire face, not just her mouth. And it is oh so contagious! We get stopped literally everywhere we go by people who just want to talk to her or say hello because she has already welcomed them with her huge grin! It is one of her very, very best features and luckily she shares it very readily with anyone and everyone!

Tay is such a happy, happy little girl! She really has this special spirit that loves people, loves her family, invites you in with her happy little voice and welcoming personality. When she talks, her voice is full of this contagious excitement, like oh boy, life is so great! She is not timid around anyone and loves to say hi and wave and interact with everyone. Kaiya is both her best friend and sometimes her worst enemy! No surprise! 90% of the time, they play really well and want nothing more than to just be holding hands and hanging out together. That other 10%, though, wow! They can really get on each other's nerves! Taylor has become quite tough and will not stand for Kaiya taking things away from her anymore. She screams and chases Kaiya and will throw in a hit here and there just to show she means business. It's kind-of funny to watch, but also gets really old when I have to play referee 800 times a day! I'm guessing this will be the story of our lives with THREE girls so close in age! But I would not trade it for the world, because to watch the girls love on each other -- oh my, there is really nothing better in all the world! Sometimes they just lay down facing each other and laugh at each other for no reason at all or go get lost in their world upstairs and can play so well together! Their happy interaction is the most beautiful music to my ears and makes me smile every day! Tay loves books, loves to read, loves Mickey Mouse, loves to wear mommy and daddy's shoes around the house, loves to pull every piece of my tupperware out of the drawers (but is also really good at putting them all back when she's done), loves animals, loves people, loves to ride in the car, loves to snuggle (though she is usually too busy to stay for very long), and loves blowing kisses! She also loves bath time and has ZERO fear of water -- we're talking head dunking and all and doesn't even mind inhaling all that water!One of her favorite things right now is whenever we are on the computer, she comes in and climbs up behind us on the chair and will just hang out there talking away! Love it!She is not the best eater in the world. The ONLY way she will eat anything is if she is feeding herself. She refuses completely to let you touch her food or feed her anything. Can we say MISS INDEPENDENT?! She is also the messiest eater on the planet, especially considering she has to feed herself. We're talking yogurt covering her face and hair and her chair and the floor and her clothes! She LOVES apples. I think she would exist on those alone if we let her! She also loves sandwiches and cereal and raisins and unfortunately french fries.Tay joined the nursery ranks at church a few months ago and it has been the easiest thing in the world! She literally ran in the first day and never looked back at us once! I pretty much could have predicted that with as much as she loves being around other kids and people! It has made the transition soooo nice for us, but I was a tad bit sad that there was no missing mom and dad! She got to be in with Kaiya for a few months before Kaiya headed to Primary. I wondered if Kaiya leaving would have any effect, but so far, Tay has been totally fine without sister! I love to go peek in on her and see her having so much fun, always playing, always busy! I sometimes wish that there was a nursery for Sacrament meeting, though, because Taylor is such a BUSY body during church! One of us is literally chasing her as she runs out the doors or up the aisles every 5 seconds! She is so determined to escape!

Those are some things about our little Monkey at 18 months! She has been like pure sunshine in our home! I can't imagine our family without her happiness filling us up! She makes life fun and funny and she is so easy to love and adore with her sweet little spirit and crazy spunk! Her zeal for life is contagious and we look forward to seeing how this little person continues to grow and spread her sunshine! We could not love her any more and feel blessed beyond belief to have her in our family! She blesses each one of us every day! Love you, little Tay Jayne!

6 Comments:

Blogger Diane and Allan said...

You have the PERFECT way of describing Miss Ta-Ta. She is everyone's ray-of-sunshine. How she lights up our lives.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Wanderingfamilies said...

Cute! Your girls are such pretty things! I NEED to come visit! As for the bottle, keep it for 4 months after the baby comes...that is what my pediatrician recommended for Ansley when Maizy was born and like clockwork - 4 months after, she was done with the bottle! Good luck! Let me come help you when your new baby comes...I will come do dishes or fold laundry, so you can just sit and hold your new baby!

7:56 AM  
Blogger britt said...

Oh that Tay Tay. What a sweet, sweet girl. Those dimples and curls are the cutest thing ever!! And I LOVE the bed head pic. too funny!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Janessa Couch said...

How sweet! I love her eyes, they are gorgeous and so is that red hair. You will have so much fun with three girls. I am finding how different boys are to raise, but girls have so many other things to offer then boys so it is so fun. Good luck with the bottle thing. My girls were all bottle girls so it was always hard to go to sippy cup. The only way that it worked was to take them to the store and choose their own sippy cup. One daughter we went straight to a cup with a straw and a lid she liked that better.

11:32 AM  
Blogger NAT said...

She's a little angel. What a pretty girl. Takes after her Mommy!

10:36 PM  
Blogger Kikilia said...

Bottle idea: Put all the bottles in a bag and hang them outside for the bottle fairy- who will leave a "big girl cup" for Taylor and give the bottles to the babies.

A cup with a straw might be fun for her- and I imagine she'll be thrilled with it the next morning when the bottles are gone and the cup has come.

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones