RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: Disaster...twice

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Disaster...twice

So, thank goodness I had some inkling of an urge to get started on my Christmas cards early this year. Because as it turns out, I need all the time I can get.

It started back in September when we went to Canada for my gma's bday. I got some pictures taken of our family that I would use for Christmas cards and not have to deal with getting everyone all dressed and cute again. Have I mentioned that I really quite hate taking family pictures? At this stage of our family's life, it still feels like such a production to try and get pictures where the kids' clothes and faces remain clean for 5 seconds, where an attempt is made to have everyone looking at the camera at once (which by the way, never really happens and I've given up on!), where the kids are in decent enough moods to be bribed with candy to smile, etc, etc. You feel me? I know you do! So, we took a bunch of pictures and had a few that were usable, so I was happy.

Cut to about 2 weeks ago when I went to my computer to find the family pictures that I had edited to use for the Christmas cards. Nothing. Pictures, where are you? They were gone. I spent hours looking everywhere on my computer for them, but to no avail. Apparently the invisible computer thief struck and my pictures (just from that one single day, nothing else) were totally gone. I was panicked, not so much because they were my favorite pictures in the world, but because the thought of having to go out and attempt more family pictures made me want to throw up. I decided we just wouldn't do cards this year. But then Chris came home, bless his supportive heart because if anyone hates taking family pictures more than me, it's him, knowing full well that I really love to send cards each year and that not sending any would bum me out. He said we needed to just go and get some more pictures taken.

So, I got to throwing together some clothes for everyone, and went out early last Saturday morning for more family pictures. It was painful, but doable and we got some cute shots that would work again. I made sure they were backed up and saved in several places!

So, I got the cards designed and ordered, with a huge sigh of relief that they were done.

Today, my box came in the mail from the printers. I excitedly went to check them out. They were really cute, until I got to the bottom where it said, "Merry Christmas...And a Happy". Yep, not "and a happy new year" like they were supposed to say. Just "And a Happy." Welcome second heart attack. Are you kidding me? So, after a call to the printers who were VERY cooperative, I have a new set of reprinted cards coming priority in the mail. I'm not even going to get excited, though, because with the luck I am having this year, chances are they will be all screwed up again.

Thank goodness for an early start. It may be Christmas NEXT year by the time I get these dang cards right.

Sigh. Someone please tell me this gets easier!


(A perfect example of what MOST of our attempts at family pictures look like -- neither girl looking, Taylor and Kaiya trying to run away, me cracking up in sheer abandoned effort, Chris looking handsome as always, but wondering why the heck we are even attempting this. BTW, this is the ONLY picture that survived our first photo shoot in Canada that totally disappeared from my computer. Typical that this is the only one that survived!)

7 Comments:

Blogger Diane and Allan said...

hey, good thing you are so darn creative and have such an adorable family to work with. It is rather amusing to read, but been there and know the frustrations.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Janessa Couch said...

Oh that stinks! Last year I ordered Christmas cards that had a cute picture of the girls on it and I never sent them out. Horrible, I know. This year I am not even bothering until after baby is born so I think I will do a New Year or a Valentines card. :)

10:30 PM  
Blogger Tabitha said...

HATE that! Some form of this usually happens to us as well.. I orderd mine last week for this reason... 2 years ago people got our Christmas cards the end of Jan. Ours came with NO problems!:) Now it's getting all of them addressed and stamped which takes FOREVER! Good luck!

12:16 PM  
Blogger NAT said...

Ugh. Sorry for all of the drama and bad luck. I hear ya about the family picture issues. It gets better as they get older, though. At least it has for me. I just remember getting so frustrated because I would spend so much time making sure the girls were cute and then they wouldn't even smile or worse...they would start bawling and have red faces for the pictures.

Speaking of which, we're getting ours done tomorrow. Wish us luck...

4:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OH- First, why Ryan and I are never in the picture for our cards. Second, why Ryan HATES Christmas cards, and last why I just have to sneak and do them or he fights me the whole way. Man= you are awesome to go through all that. Much more dedicated than I would be.

9:37 PM  
Blogger britt said...

As frustrating it is for MOM, every person who sees your pics can relate, including me! And I don't know that I agree that its easier, maybe I just have TOO many kids to make it work. But no matter the challenge YOUR cards always turn out so darn cute!
so sorry about the picture mishap. what a fluke is that?!

9:33 PM  
Blogger Veronica said...

If you aren't completely satisfied with your cards and need to order new ones, you should check out Shutterfly. They are giving away 50 free cards to bloggers this year.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones