Can I vent...just a little?!
It all started last year when we decided to lease our home down south. We found a guy who was ready to move in and said he wanted to lease to own and would buy our house at the end of his contract. That was good news for us. However, we spent the next year dealing with a lot of CRAP with this renter and his roommates and probably should have just kicked him out. But he was buying the house, so we left him there. His contract was over at the end of August. His July rent check bounced. He never paid his full month's rent for August. AND he tells us at the last minute that he's not buying the house. Needless to say, he pretty much left us high and dry and pretty frustrated. But we tried REALLY hard to be nice and agreed that if he would just clean the house really well and leave at the end of his contract, we would forgive the money he owed us. I was never sooo happy to see someone get out of my life.
Only, he wasn't out of our lives. We went down to our house the day he moved out and did a cleaning inspection and to round up all the keys, etc. The house was very clean and he was completely moved out, so we were ok with everything. A few days ago, we got a phone call from our AWESOME neighbors who have been sooo wonderful to keep an eye on our house ever since we have moved, telling us that they had found our front door WIDE open early that morning. We were very suspicious so we headed down south to check things out. When we got there, we found food in our fridge (including a half eaten pizza on a plate) and dishes in the dishwasher. There was nothing else anywhere in the house. It all became VERY clear. Our special little renter had kept a key and had been sneaking in and sleeping there at night and pretty much making himself right at home and then sneaking out early in the morning before anyone could see him. Since he moved out at the end of August, this means he has been doing this for nearly a month! One of our neighbors said they had seen our master bathroom light on really early in the morning several times (and thought that maybe we or our realtor had just left it on by accident. But oh no, that would have been him showering. I called him and left a VERY heated message, but he would not call back. So, I called his mom, who has caused even more problems for us than he has and totally continues to enable her son to be a loser by cleaning up his messes every time he screws up. I have to admit, talking to her was not my best moment. We kinda got into a shouting match. I'm not proud of it. But honestly, it felt GOOD! I had a LOT of stuff that I had been needing to get off my chest for a long time with her and I let her have it. And then some. She, of course, denied everything up and down, and defended her son like he was some saint, just like she always does. Her 24 year old son will NEVER have to be accountable for anything because she will continue to play mommy and never make him take responsibility for his actions. Great mom, huh?
We changed the locks on all the doors and then had no choice, but to call the police because this guy was breaking and entering and we needed evidence to charge him. Only, the police came over and told us there was NOTHING they could do since we had never actually seen him coming into our house. Even though every ounce of evidence pointed to him. I'm thinking CSI stuff here -- you know, finger print the stuff in the fridge that was never there before, etc. But nope, they said there was nothing they could do. So, bottom line, this LIAR gets to break in and live in our house for free, illegally, and we can't do anything about it. Oh, the cops said they would drive by periodically at night to see if they saw any lights on, but hello, I don't think he's going to be coming back now, so that does nothing for us. Needless to say, I am beyond mad. After we tried to be so nice and forgiving of all the other stuff he had done to us, he has the nerve to do something like this. Can you even believe there are people like this out there?! UGHHHH! Ok, I had to get that out of my system.
But while we're on the subject of our house, I want to include a plug. Yes, our house is back on the market and we are really, really anxious to get it sold so that we can buy a house where Chris is working up north. We LOVE this house and it comes with honestly the most incredible neighbors you could ever ask for. We have so many amazing memories there -- our first house together, getting Chase on the first day we moved in, adopting Kaiya, and so many other things! I wish we could stay there, but it's just too far away. Anyway, it's a GREAT house, honestly. We loved it! Here is a link to our MLS listing:

If you know anyone who is looking for a home in Utah County, please let them know about ours! And keep your fingers crossed for us that we can sell it REALLY soon!




10 Comments:
Are you kidding me?? I would be BEYOND pissed. That is just wrong. So sorry that happened to you guys!
I am sorry you have to deal with that.
That is one BIZZARE story.....hard to believe the nerve of that guy. Chalk it up in the book of "evil renters" and hope you never get in that situation again. We agree that this is a realllllly neat home; we have wonderful memories of our stays with you there and painting and baby sitting our newest granddaughter on occasion. Hope it sells soon--it is a terrific deal. Good Luck!!!
Oh man I feel for you! That really stinks! Just when you thought you got rid of that loser. Hopefully you can sell soon and move up here and be done with all of it! We are getting so anxious for you to be closer again.
We can completely relate to the nightmare of dealing with renters and the bizarre things that happen! I really hope you are able to get it sold soon and get this past you. ALthough it is bitter sweet-we felt the same way about our FIRST house. Hard to let it go for sentimental reasons, but it definitely isn't worth the headache!!
Good Luck and I feel your frustration!!!!
i am so sorry charles! i can not believe what some people do, idiots!!
This is the sort of stuff that I have to deal with all of the time and I still hate it. We have had stories with renters from FBI showing up at our door to the complex being completely surrounded by cops with guns drawn. It is a pain being a manager or landlord. I hope you sell it soon!
Some people are so amazing! I can't believe he would do something like that. Great mom too, hah! I hope you have better luck finding new buyers, that guy was a joke for real.
I am amazed how some people have no morals! The nerve of someone to do this and a mom to completely defend him! Thank goodness for good neighbors!
Don't even get me started on renters...
Post a Comment
<< Home