RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: It was a good one!

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

It was a good one!

I want to remember Christmas this year because seriously, it was such a great one for us! I think mostly because Kaiya is at such a fun age and our family is at such an exciting stage! But beware, this may be the longest post ever on blogger, complete with about 8,000 pictures!
A few days before Christmas, we made plans to get together with Jess (Kaiya's birth mom). We met up for a yummy dinner together and then did some shopping together at the mall before exchanging gifts. It was sooo fun to see her and for her to be able to see how much Kaiya is growing and changing! We always have such a great time with her and as always, we feel such gratitude and love for her everytime we are with her for the greatest of all gifts that she has given to us. What a beautiful, kind, unselfish person she is, and how blessed we are to know her.
On Christmas Eve, and with all the tons of snow we have gotten up here, we went out for some sledding. Kaiya had a BLAST! She took lots of rides with mom and dad and didn't want to stop! She was laughing so hard every time we went down the hill! Chase also had himself a pretty good time, pouncing around, neck deep in all the snow! He could have stayed out there all day...and Kaiya would have gladly joined him! We had to make some snow angels before leaving as well, even Kaiya. She wasn't so sure about that, though! Notice how she has lost both of her boots at this point. Oh well, we tried! After sledding and naptime, we started a new tradition this year of having breakfast for Christmas Eve dinner. This one is going to be a keeper, I think. With all the work you do preparing Christmas dinner, it's nice to have something fun and easy to do on Christmas Eve! So, we had french toast, eggs, bacon, and some OJ. Mom tested, family approved! Then we went out on our annual Eve drive to see the lights in the neighborhood, which again, Kaiya LOVED, especially the park with the ducks! Then it was back to the house for our traditional love stockings (Kaiya even did them this year), opening one gift each (of course, Chris' tradition is to come up with the most unusual/crazy way to wrap my gift, and this year he did not disappoint -- the wrapping was even reversible!), reading the Christmas story from the Bible (without a doubt, the BEST Christmas Eve tradition there is), and watching a Christmas movie with Kaiya. This year, it was Frosty -- love that one, it's a classic! Then it was time to say good night to Ya-Ya, so mom and dad could enjoy some time together. We watched our own Christmas movie, snuggled up by the fire, with hot chocolate and popcorn, and then got the presents out for morning. It's fun playing Santa, I've decided! We set up Kaiya's kitchen set so that would be the first thing she found in the morning! It was so fun and I was so excited for her!
Christmas morning we slept in, well, because we still can! And isn't that a present in and of itself?! Chris and I opened up our own gifts first because we knew Kaiya wouldn't be too interested in that, and then when she got up, we all headed out to the tree, where indeed she found her kitchen and was instantly hooked! Score one for mom and dad! Jess got Kaiya the cutest little clothes and books -- she loved them! Thanks, Jess!
And Strawberry Shortcake from Grandma and Grandpa Asplund -- just like her mommy's favorite doll when she was little! Her kisses even taste like strawberries!
Then we had a yummy breakfast of cinnomon rolls, orange rolls and hot chocky and OJ. Then it was time for mom to get busy on dinner while daddy plowed the 3 feet of snow out of the driveway (FUN) and played with Kaiya. The Christmas music was blasting through the house and there was just such a warm, happy spirit here with our family! This year was a bit different for us. With my parents and family all gone, and most of Chris' family doing other things, we decided to host Christmas dinner at our house for those who could come. Kaiya kept busy pushing her baby around! We had Chris' younger siblings over, which also meant that I got my first try at making Christmas dinner! It was a busy morning getting everything ready, but a lot of fun too! We had ham and twice-baked potatoes, rolls, and salad. And of course, we snacked ourselves silly on spinach and artichoke dip, cheese balls, and holiday sweets! Surprised there was even room for dinner! It all turned out fairly well, I think, and the best part about it was being able to stay here in our own home, no traveling, and spending the time together with family. We had such a great time with Wes, Annie and Brad and our own little clan. Hopefully they had a good time too! Then we all just relaxed with our FULL bellies, played some ping pong and Balderdash (and laughed our heads off -- such a fun game), and enjoyed the rest of the day. The weather ended up being so bad up here, that everyone got to stay overnight and have a sleepover -- more fun!!
I have so much to be grateful for this Christmas. First and foremost, my Savior, Jesus Christ. I tried really hard this year to be more mindful of Him and all that He has done for me. Though I still feel the overwhelming commercialism of this holiday, I also have felt the Spirit so strong of how special this great event is that we celebrate and what a glorious life we try and remember this time of year. I love my Savior. I have had many moments in pondering over Mary. What a choice young woman she was. So young, yet so righteous and so prepared to do such a miraculous thing. And I love her for that. I have also felt such gratitude and humility for my family. This year is even more special for us. Not only have we had our beautiful daughter legally entrusted to us and sealed to us this past year, we have experienced the miracle of creating another life for our family. Last year, with our new, just 4-month old daughter, I could have NEVER imagined that in a year, there would be this little life growing inside of me. I feel, in a very small way, like Elizabeth, knowing now that with God, all things are possible! And I have the love of my life, my very best friend in the world to share it all with. This year, I also have experienced the joy of having my parents on their mission. The joy does not come from having them be away from us on Christmas. No, that has been very hard. But the joy has come from watching their example of selfless service, the love they have for the people they are among, and knowing that they are exactly where they are needed at this time. I am grateful for all that they are teaching us while being gone and for the blessings WE receive from having such good parents! These things alone, are the greatest gifts a person could ever wish for and somehow, without any deserving on my part, I have been blessed with all of them. And therefore, this Christmas may just be the best one yet! Hope you all had a WONDERFUL Christmas as well!

12 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

A beautiful post Karli, truly! You have such a sweet testimony, and it shows through your writing. I LOVE Kaiya's snow experience, SO cute! I look forward to seeing you tomorow at katie's. I'm bringing my wrap to show you!

9:36 PM  
Blogger Bob and Becky said...

Merry Christmas. Your Christmas pictures are a treasure for all of us to enjoy. We are so excited about your little family. Thank you for all your love and prayers.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Allan and Diane said...

wOW-what a jolly, jolly Christmas. You are creating some wonderful family traditions and isn't it fun to have a child old enough to enjoy together??? O.K. my favorite pic has to be Kaiya kissing her Strawberry doll. I love her pucker and chubby cheeks and serious eye contact!! The best.

1:42 AM  
Blogger Cari said...

Looks like some fun times for sure! We all got a kick out of Chris' wrapping job! Scott does the same kind of thing. Very funny! Kaiya is sooooooo adorable!

9:34 PM  
Blogger britt said...

THAT was a long post. I had to scroll a few times just to remember what I read :) Glad you guys had such a good time, and Kaiya looks happy as can be at what SANTA brought. Way to go!
Just think next year you will have 2 girls to buy for!!!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Mugs said...

How fun, Karli. I LOVE the picture of Kaiya kissing the dolly!

5:31 PM  
Blogger NAT said...

I love reading your posts, Karli. They're always so detailed and amazing. You're amazing...and you LOOK amazing! I'm so glad that you had a great Christmas. Kaiya is a little doll and I love her kitchen! Emma got one from Santa too and its been a great babysitter when Mom needs to get things done around the house. :)

2:48 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

So glad Christmas was so fun! It sounds just perfect! The pics are darling!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Cox Family said...

You guys have too much fun... Hey I need to bug you for 2 addresses I need Aarons and JAsons... If you have them... Thanks.. I hope you guys had a great Christmas... Are you getting bigger??

2:11 PM  
Blogger Wanderingfamilies said...

YOu have a beautiful family! You look amazing! Christmas is much better with a child...

2:23 PM  
Blogger Janessa Couch said...

I love the wrapping of your gift, I wonder what it was. :)

When my girls were Kaiya's age we also got them a kitchen set and they absolutely loved it. They did get sick of it for awhile until we put it in storage for about a month, then brought it out again and it was like a brand new toy. I love rotating toys.

11:58 AM  
Blogger anikabani said...

I just wanted to make sure and thank you guys for inviting us to your Christmas! Everything from the family to the food and games was so much fun and memorable! I love you all. Thank you for everything you do for me. Brad and I ALWAYS have a good time with you!

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones