RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: A mom for almost a year -- WHAT?!

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A mom for almost a year -- WHAT?!

I was reading a scripture passage today -- for some, a very familiar one. It is found in Ether 12:27 (Ether is a section in the Book of Mormon). "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."


I really started to think about this and how it applies to the experiences I have had this past year. As Kaiya approaches her first birthday in a few short weeks (all too fast I might add), I find myself thinking a lot about my role as her mother. I tend to be very critical (don't we all) about how well I am doing in this incredibly important role I have -- am I doing enough, am I doing too much, I can be better in this and that and this, etc., etc. I think self-evaluation is crucial in life for our own improvement, but I also think that if we evaluate WITH the Lord, He can show us not only the areas in which we can improve (and He will provide the necessary help, if we ask Him), but He can also show us how much we've grown, what weakness He has helped to turn into strengths, and help us recognize the good that we possess. I think He wants nothing more than to help us to grow and improve, but also to know of our worth and to not beat ourselves up over the little things. I feel that sentiment from Him a lot in my life, especially this past year, and I am grateful for it. The world can be hard enough on us as individuals with its' expectations and problems -- I think we don't always need to add to that by being so hard on ourselves. This is something I feel like I have to constantly work on because I could spend hours listing my many faults and weaknesses.


Some other thoughts I have had about being a mom:


Never before in my life have I had to learn to let go of control (obsessive cleaning, organizing, etc.) and yet be responsible for being so in control for someone else.


I have learned that my moods completely and totally effect Kaiya's. The value of a smile and a happy voice and cheerful mood work wonders for HER having a good day (and me too)!


I am learning to better understand limits -- mine and Kaiya's. I have learned to set limits for her and have realized that I am capable of going beyond what I think are my own limits.

Confidence. On a daily basis, I find new confidence by doing things I didn't think I could ever do, facing things I have never faced. On a daily basis, I am humbled and lose bits of that confidence as I learn through mistakes (thank goodness for the unconditional love of a child), and as I have to relearn what I thought I already knew (children change their minds every day, I swear)!

I have learned and am constantly having to remind myself of the importance of asking for help. Relying on others. This is sooo not easy for me, as I hate feeling like I am ever burdening someone else. My reliance has grown the most on my Heavenly Father, because there are things about being a mother that I could NEVER do alone! Secondly, WAY more reliance on Chris for sure, and he never lets me down. And on other mothers. I can't even count the amount of questions I have asked of my friends and family members -- what to do about poop, what to do about eating, what toys are good for this age, how to deal with this illness or that one, etc. How grateful I feel for the willing help of others and the ease I feel in asking for help because of how willing everyone has been!

I have intuition!! Who knew?! I have never seen this thing called intuition so evident in my life until I became a mom. I have always felt like I could logically come to conclusions or make decisions based on thinking them through. But it is quite amazing to me how often I can make such split-second decisions based on this gift of intuition that is given to moms (and dads). And that I can move forward based on those "feelings" and not second guess myself so much. I love that!


Finally, and most importantly, I have learned that love truly has no boundaries or limits. I always wondered what it would feel like -- the love of a mother for her child. I knew how incredible and special I felt because of my own mother's love for me, but I wondered how it would feel to be on the giving end of that kind of love. I knew that my love for Chris was beyond description and the love I felt for my family members was such a powerful influence in my life. But when Kaiya came into our family, I think I truly learned that love is endless and limitless. That I have room in my heart to love another person more than I thought was possible and yet, that love I feel for her does not diminish the love I have for Chris or for the rest of my family or friends. In fact, my love for Kaiya makes my love for all the other important people in my life grow even stronger. And in some indescribable way, at the end of the day when I am praying with Kaiya or singing her songs with her daddy, that love I feel for her cancels out all the difficulties that have come in being a new mom. In this way, I know that however many children the Lord decides we can have in our family, I will be able to love each and every one of them. You don't ever reach a threshold for loving others. In fact, the more people you have to love, the more love just seems to grow and grow in your heart. It's not something that you have to spread out or ration, but the more you have, the more there is.

I know I have so much more to learn. I seem to learn every single day -- about Kaiya, about myself, and about my relationships with others and with the Lord. Who knew that being a mother was more than just being a mother? It is another way for me to learn and grow and stretch. I feel so thankful for all that Kaiya has taught me and continues to teach me. I only hope I can return the favor to her in some small way! I love this girl more than I could ever say!!

9 Comments:

Blogger Janessa Couch said...

I am so glad that you have been able to have so many wonderful things happen to you this year. Motherhood is amazing. There are times that I feel like a break is needed, but after that break or a phone call to a friend, I always get back on the bandwagon. I put my mothering suit on and enjoy learning about my children and growing with my children. It does help to have a loving husband that helps you out. Who could imagine motherhood with the stresses of the world today like depression and drugs. The gospel teaches us so much, especially how to be a good mother, which you are!

11:35 AM  
Blogger britt said...

that was such a beatifully written message and reminder to ME. I NEED those reminders way to often, because I just forget the importance of being in the moment and letting go of the NOT so important things to ENJOY my family and life more! And the mood thing, oh yes, QUinn is often reminding me of that one!!
thanks for sharing your thoughts, because I could definitely relate and was influences greatly my what you said!
Love you!!!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Wanderingfamilies said...

Thank you for reminding me of this scripture...I have been thinking of all the reasons why I broke my ankle and perhaps it is to help me become a better person...you have great insight! And you are WONDERFUL mother!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Richelle said...

Being a mom is a great learning experience. You just keep learning more and more those same things. Very well said.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Allan and Diane said...

we have commented from the beginning how naturally you took on the "mother" role. Even the bragging came very natural!! he-he

6:57 PM  
Blogger NAT said...

Karli, thank you for this post and for sharing your thoughts. I have had some of the exact same feelings about motherhood, but you definitely put what I couldn't, into words. I can't believe that it's been almost a year! It's too crazy. You're a wonderful Mom and all we can do is our best and thank Heavenly Father for this opportunity.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Elisa said...

First of all that is my favorite scripture of all time. And second I love the you have written this post. You have expressed so much love and honor for the past year. so many times have I said that I could just copy your post, change a few names, and just post your exact words on my blog. This one tells so much about you and how you are a GREAT MOTHER!!!

10:13 AM  
Blogger julie said...

Thanks for such an amazing post! Isn't motherhood the best! Yes there are so many hard things that I never imagined would be a part of it, but at the end of the day it is all so worth it. You are doing an amazing job.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Jamie and Family said...

Wow. Thank you!!! I loved that Kar! I have felt all the things you so beautifully wrote about too.

I've loved the awareness I've gained from being a mother. I'm more open to pain and dissapointment, but also more learning and growth. I've never known myself better.

I love the part about love having no bounds. So true, and something I forget when my fears take over (aka having another child).

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones