RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: Dinner, PUH-LEASE!

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Dinner, PUH-LEASE!

Let me start with a demonstration of the topic of this post.
This is what Kaiya looks like most any time we try to feed her.

This is what we wish fervently that she would look more like when we try to feed her.

Ok, venting session begins! Why will my child not eat?! Oh my gosh, this is such a frustrating topic for me right now! Kaiya has never been a great eater, let's face it. She's been OKAY, at times, but I heavily stress the "at times" part. About a month ago, I thought we had finally turned a corner because she was eating like CRAZY! Like bowl after bowl, crying for more kind of eating. It was like mannah (literally) from heaven! We were breathing huge sighs of relief and actually enjoying meal times! Then, it was like someone flipped a switch and she won't eat ANYTHING now! No joke, it was like overnight! So, for the past few weeks, I think everyone dreads feeding time! And don't worry, I have searched the internet and asked everyone I know for advice. And of course, she was eating like a wild woman when she had her last doctor's appointment, so I never even thought to bring it up with him then for some help. I have tried pretty much everything! I have been offering every kind of finger food I can think of, which she will have nothing to do with. Won't even try to pick anything up to put in her mouth, unless of course, it's a piece of puffed cereal -- she will still eat those. And aren't they so packed-full of nutrition -- yeah right! So, then I will try to feed her pureed food with some chunks of whatever I can think of. You would think her mouth was wired shut. You couldn't pry that thing open with the jaws of life! Those beautiful, full lips of hers just disappear into the most tightly clenched pursing you have ever seen. And more recently, she has learned the art of swatting as soon as the spoon is within reach. Ahh, how I love food splattered all over me and her and everything in the vicinity! We have tried tricking, playing, sometimes forcing, singing, dancing, just short of standing on our heads with flippers on our feet, letting her try feeding herself, but nothing works. Every once in awhile, she will surprise us and eat a good portion of whatever we are offering, so we think, ok she likes that particular thing, so let's try it again. But the next time she won't eat it at all. But then within about 10 minutes of giving up trying ot feed her, she will start fussing and the minute we offer her bottle, she downs it. So, I know she's hungry! Yesterday, I actually shed a few tears, I was so frustrated! And people always say, oh don't worry, it's just a phase, she'll grow out of it, but when you are the one who is in the middle of very consciously trying to prepare 3 meals a day, only to have them swatted at or thrown down the drain more often, it's a little bit hard to just accept the fact that it will all be ok. Most importantly, though, is that I am naturally worried about her nutrition. I mean, she can't be on her bottle forever, and she obviously isn't getting any nutrition anywhere else at the moment! It is just so frustrating! And I know it must be frustrating for her, probably even more than it is for me! I try so hard to plaster on my smile and make it a positive experience when I sit her down in her chair, but after about 30 minutes of the battle, I have to throw my white flag up in the air and surrender. It's funny, too, because I have a couple of friends who tell me they wish their child was more like Kaiya because they can't STOP their babies from eating. Oh, how would that be?! I can only imagine! Funny how our individual trials can be at such opposite ends of the spectrum!

Ok, that's my rant. Back to the drawing board to try some more! I won't give up -- maybe persistence will be on my side! But anyone else ever had this problem? What worked for you?!

On a more positive note, we now have 2 top teeth (to go with the 4 on the bottom that came in first), and a new piggy friend to join the first lone piggy! I love me some piggy! And this girl has got some major wavy hair in the back! It's so cute! I always wanted a little curl, since my hair was so stick straight, so it's fun to see it on Kaiya! She is standing all over the place, holding onto whatever she can, started to crawl a lot more this week, and loves to walk while holding onto your fingers! So, we'll take progress in other areas if we can't get it in eating right now! Love this girl to pieces, even if she won't eat!!

16 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

I'm sure I've told you this, but we went through this exact same thing with Ryley when she was Kaiya's age. Dr Later has always said not to worry about it, they will eat what they want when they want. For Ryley that was always her bottle, she never wanted anything else until she was probably 13 or 14 months, then food started to taste better to her. As long as she looks healthy and is gaining adequate weight I'm sure she's fine...And Kaiya does look like a healthy, beautiful baby girl!!!

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes parenting can be so frustrating, why can't babies just do what we want them to do?? In a perfect world right? I am sure she is fine, like the previous comment as long as she is healthy then I would try not to worry! Evan (he is now 9 months old) goes through eating phases as well, and now he has started to get a temper in his high chair...maybe it is because we had to strap him down so he wouldn't try to climb out..again, if they would just listen to us! Hang in there!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Janessa Couch said...

My mom always told me, when my kids did this, that they will eat, if they are hungary. I worried about it, but they have all lived to have happy lives and they are not picky now. She is just having too much fun with mommy to eat. :)

6:21 PM  
Blogger NAT said...

Girl, I totally feel you. Emma is very picky & believe me, there have been tears shed at mealtimes....by ME! But I've finally realized that kids won't starve themselves. They'll eat when they're hungry. Basically, I've been studying my "What to Expect the Toddler Years" and I've found that I can't force anything on Emma, as it only turns her off more and makes mealtimes a bad experience. All I do now is set out her food and let her do her thing. I try not to hover over her and just start doing the dishes or something. I turn off the TV or have relaxing music playing. I know, it sounds weird, but it's actually been working for me. All you can do is try to make mealtimes a good experience for them. Sometimes I just have to take a bite of it myself, tell her how yummy it is and then walk off to let her try it on her own.

Kaiya looks really healthy to me and unless her doctor says something about her weight, just hang in there and realize that you can't force the issue. They'll eat when they're hungry and you're doing the best that you can.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Marc and Megan said...

I don't have any advice to offer, but I can totally understand why it would be a huge concern. And, I just have to add that those photos of Kaiya are so darn cute!! She is such a doll!!

8:47 PM  
Blogger Eliza2006 said...

Don't get into food (or, later, potty) battles, you will never win. Unless there's something medically wrong or she's not gaining weight she will be fine. If I ever felt like she didn't eat much during the day I'd add a cup of yogurt to her bottle at night...made me feel better!

5:53 AM  
Blogger Richelle said...

The main source of their nutrition until they are at least a year old should be formula (or mommy's milk). So I wouldn't worry about nutrition, unless you are afraid she is not gaining weight. As long as she seems happy, I wouldn't push it too much. Just offer at meal times, but don't stress too much if she doesn't eat what is offered. If you are giving her healthy options, she will eventually get used to some of the tastes. Like has been said, eating is a battle that you can not win. You can not force them to eat. I know it is hard and frustrating when you are going through it, but if you just try not to make too big of a deal over it, it won't be a big deal, and before you know it she will be eating normal food.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Kami said...

My friend does something I think is so smart. She puts cereal, applesauce, and milk in her little boy’s bottle and has cut a larger slit in the nipple. He is still getting the comfort of sucking but getting all the nutrition he needs.
I had the same problem with my little girl but I breastfeed and had never given her a bottle (I do not suggest this). The doctor was telling me her weight was too low and I couldn’t get her to eat anything else. Needless to say I ended up nursing her until she was 13 months and weaned her to a sipper cup but we still have problems getting her to eat and she is 7 ouch! Like has been said by others Kaiya looks healthy and if your doctor hasn’t said anything to you I wouldn’t worry too much about it. My doctor said that the thing they need most now is protein to help there little brains grow.

By the way I am one of Katie’s College friends and I have been following you story for a while. Hope you don’t mind your story is really inspirational. Kami

7:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Luka is like this! My other two kids ate so great. It freaks me out too. Have you tried yogurt or just your table food?? Cooper went straight to "real" food. My doctor said to get a couple of plastic toys Luka likes to chew on and let him dip it into his food while sitting in his high chair and suck it off- what a mess but I am going to try it!

9:30 AM  
Blogger britt said...

Oh I know the pain and frustration! I know I have told you about my challenges with Ash. At least she drinks from a bottle, Ash didn't even do that. I know this is what you hear from everyone, but just don't force it, and keep trying different things-applesauce, gogurt/yogurt,etc.
Ash has taken great strides in the eating and milk drinking dept, so I know it gets better! Just hang in there.
Its funny cuz in a month or 2 from now when THIS PHASE has passed, you will think what was the big deal-I stressed way to much. That is exactly what I thought.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Grammy said...

Hi Kar - Kaiya is so beautiful! and she certainly does not look malnourished. Don't stress over the eating. She will truly eat when she wants to. It is so not worth the worry and the battles it can cause. Just offer her a variety of nutritious foods. She will not starve. Just a little dab is all she needs, anyway. She still just has a tiny body. You and Cris are looking good, too! I know it is easier said than done when someone says not to worry about your baby - but she will be fine. I promise. Mom's honor!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Jamie and Family said...

I have zero advice, just empathy. And not to make you worried, but Lexi didn't start eating for "real" till she was four. And even now, we are only at 65% good. It is nothing I'm doing right or wrong because Jordyn is a great eater. Peyton is following in Lexi's footsteps and it causes me great anxiety! I feel ya!

10:53 PM  
Blogger Kikilia said...

If you can't get her to eat- try Pediasure in her bottle. That way you know she's getting a little extra nutrition.

Good luck!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Mugs said...

Yes, yes. A COMMON occurance in my household, as well. Miles' doctor says it is totally normal b/c his metabolism changes as he grows -- sometimes he will eat like a champ, and other times he won't at all. I've noticed that when I don't worry about it as much that he actually does better. Ya-Ya is perfect!

10:28 AM  
Blogger The Kunz Family said...

Oh how frusterating!! Hang in there. We've been batteling the refusing to eat "phase" for what seems like an eternity with our little Bella. So I won't offer up any advise...since obviously what I am doing isn't really working either. But just remember the next time you find yourself covered in whatever form of once edible yumminess...that there is a mama out there who feels your pain. But instead of my daughter swatting at the spoon I have a toddeler who will just throw her entire plate!! Oh the joys of parenthood!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hey Kar,
I did the same thing that Kami posted about with the cereal bottle with a larger nipple hole with mix-ins depending on what the kids liked that week. It totally worked for me! I still have trouble with Colby and he is 6! I also found that if I deny them snacks during the day then they will try harder to eat at mealtime. BTW kaiya is so beautiful. It has been fun to watch her grow through pics. What a cutie bug.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones