Some now old but important stuff!
I am so far behind on so many things and my blogging is definitely one of those things! But I am happy to report that Christmas shopping is this close to being done and I have really been able to enjoy the holiday season this year...whew!!
Anyway, I would kick myself if I didn't blog about some of the really fun and special things we've been able to do this holiday season, so I need to backtrack to last weekend and include those events! Last Friday night Chris had the great idea to go to the Festival of Trees and it was so much fun!
The basic premise of this event every year (if you are not familiar with it) is that people decorate tons of trees and donate them to be sold. Then people and businesses buy the trees and all the proceeds go to Primary Children's Hospital. It earns TONS of money every year for such a great cause! My friend, Kellie and her family do a tree every year in memory of a sweet nephew they lost. Most people decorate a tree in memory of someone and the special thing is that a lot of the trees have pictures and the story of that special person set up next to the trees so that you can learn about them. It was so touching! And there are the most incredible trees that people decorate! I was in heaven! They also do gingerbread houses and wreaths which are amazing! It was such a fun night! Kaiya was fascinated by all the bright lights and colors! And Chris found his favorite tree -- a Harley-themed tree!
The next morning we woke up to quite a nice surprise! The snow had definitely arrived! We got dumped on early Saturday morning and as much as I hate the cold weather, the snow was BEAUTIFUL! I looked out the window and everything was covered in inches of fluffy powder! I looked out and saw the sheep accross the street in the field grazing in the snow and there was that peaceful quiet that the snow brings! I brought Kaiya into bed with me (Chris was gone getting his hair cut) and we just cuddled up warm together and she talked and talked for about an hour! I think she was really excited about the snow too! Then we went next door and had monkey bread with Ry and Ash and spent the morning relaxing!
We then headed out to Jessika's house to spend some time with her and her family! I thought we got a lot of snow here, but it was like drops in a bucket compared to their house!! They were measuring in feet while we were measuring in inches here! It was soooo beautiful, though, because their house is surrounded by trees and mountains and you can look out and see the valley's! GORGEOUS!
We spent the day having so much fun together. Chase and Bear had a blast together bounding through the deep snow and we stayed warm inside, talking and laughing! (Check out how deep the snow is on those pups! Chase was in HEAVEN!)
We made gingerbread houses, exchanged our Christmas gifts, and had a delicious home-made meal of clam chowder, meatballs, veggies and cheesecake! Mmmm -- thanks, Mel! It was such a fun day being together with them and as we drove home that night, all we could talk about was how thankful we feel to know such amazing people and to have such a good relationship with them! Jessika got in some good snuggles with Kaiya and we were thankful that they could enjoy that time together! It was such a fun and special day and we are so grateful for all that they do for us!
(Our gift to Jessika)
(One of the most sweet gifts we received!)
(A Christmas dress for Kaiya -- just wait till you see it on her!!)
(Kaiya wanted to get in on the fun! Her first time unwrapping a present! And as indicated by the pool of drool on her shirt, I think she liked it!)

(Kaiya and her new angel teddy -- she actually grabbed this and planted a wet kiss on it! It was so cute!)
(Our finished gingerbread houses -- they turned out pretty good, I might add! Even after some structural damage -- roofs sliding off, walls caving in, Kendall and Chris sneaking candy, etc.)
I often think of the "old" days of adoption when the birth moms and the adopting family never met and never had contact after placement. I feel so thankful for how times have changed, and for how our agency now counsels and advises a more open relationship if both parties feel comfortable, and what a difference that kind of relationship makes. It is unfathomable to me to not have had a relationship with Jessika, to not have been given the gift of knowing her and her amazing family. Our lives were not just blessed by the addition of sweet Kaiya, but also by the opportunity of knowing such wonderful people. I feel thankful that Kaiya will grow up having that much more love supporting her and enfolding her because of our relationship with Jessika and her family. It will be a blessing for Kaiya to feel such an abundance of love in her life! 
More to post, but I will have to get to it later! Hope you all are enjoying the holidays with the ones you love!





7 Comments:
Karli,
This is Janessa Couch (Adamson). I found your blog from Carly's. Your daughter is beautiful. It has been fun seeing your blog and reading your feelings that you have about motherhood. What a wonderful blessing you have been given. By the way, you are a wonderful writer. You know how to portray your feelings in such a beautiful way.
Janessa
Amen Karli, I can't imagine it from both perspectives of just being handed a baby and never knowing anything ever again. It is such a blessing to see Calli as much as I do but more so to have gained such a wonderful friend. I can't imagine never seeing or never talking to Elisa and Mike again. I couldn't do it. I am amazed by the families from the past adoptions. Aside from my own flesh and blood I never knew it was possible to love someone so much that it could hurt.(in a good way) What an amazing year it has been. SO many beautiful miracles have happened. Heavenly Father truly does watch out for us from something as small as finding our keyes to fullfilling the greatest desires of hearts. I was reading past posts and thinking about all that lead up to this point. It is so amazing because I feel like she has always been with you and I have always known Elisa and she has always been Callis momma. That's when things are in the right places. When it just feels natural and like it was never any different. I look up to Jessika a lot. She is an amazing person with so much to offer everyone around her. I don't know if I could have made such a selfless choice at her age.
so fun to see the resemblance between those 2... it's much more noticeable as Kaiya has grown. Looks like you guys had a blast down there. Let's hope for another fun snowday tomorrow!!
It's exciting to read about how much fun you guys are having. Colby loves the Festival of Trees, and we are missing Utah quite a bit right now. We love you guys and are so happy that things are going well for you!
I just love your posts!!! Even if they often make me cry. I always feel like you are saying exactally what is in my heart too. I'm so glad that you ahve such a great relationship with Kaiya's birth family. I love the gift you gave Jessika. I don't know about you but it has been really hard for me to decide on the right gift for Carly. I just feel like I need to give her a gift that will make her as happy as she has made us. Birth mothers are very special people. Thanks for sharing your feelings for us to read.
Those gingerbreadhouses turned out great! It looks like you a great weekend & I'm so glad that you have such a great relationship with Jessika and her family.
Kaiya is as beautiful as ever and I can't wait to meet her when we get together one of these days! :)
what wonderful holiday memories. Thanks for sharing with us. I can also feel the great bonds that you have made with Jessika and her family and am so happy for all of you. Your house is decorated toooo cute--what a talent you have for decorating and writing as well. Maybe you should think of wriiting a book about this experience of adoption!! Seriously
Post a Comment
<< Home