RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: Help, PLEASE!!

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Help, PLEASE!!

I am desperately seeking some wisdom and input from all you wonderful and experienced mothers out there, which is pretty much everyone who frequents my blog!! I am going to start trying to slowly get some things here and there for the (hopefully very soon) future baby in our home. I am mind-boggled by all the different brands and things out there and have been trying to research as much as I can. I'm hoping that you all felt the same way as you prepared for your little ones! So, bottom line is, I NEED HELP!!! Could I ask for some opinions on the top items that you couldn't live without for your babies, things that you have found really helpful or a big waste of money, and even specifically models of car seats and strollers that you could recommend? If you want to leave a comment, or send me an email, either way would be fine. I could just REALLY, REALLY use the help as I venture out to get a few things. And trust me, I would be incredibly grateful for any suggestions you can make!! Muchas gracias, mamas!

13 Comments:

Blogger Eliza2006 said...

Ah, a subject I love...baby stuff! I would check consumer reports for all of the big stuff like car seats, etc. I listed a bunch of my faves on my blog a while ago. I LOVE my sound machine! Happy Shopping!

Tiffany

1:37 PM  
Blogger Eve said...

I want to see the list you come up with! I'm without a clue, also.

3:14 PM  
Blogger The Valentine Fam said...

When I was pregnant with Lucas, I read a book called "Baby Bargains". It lists every possible item there is and rates all the products as far as safety and necessity...there were a few things that I found I probably wouldn't need and others I hadn't even thought of just by reading it. Hope that helps some.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Em said...

HI! I'm a huge fan of your blog even though we've never met...(I'm a friend of Eve). Anyways, I couldn't resist giving you my imput. I have a 10 month old little boy and here's what I love: My peg perego pliko stroller and carseat. So convenient and very, very easy to use. It has also gotten great ratings. A little bit pricier than others out there but I would buy it again in a second. Also, I'm pretty particular about what I use for his skin. I LOVE this product line made by Earth's Best called Jason. The butt cream is especially my favorite (it comes in a long yellow tube). If he ever has a rash I put it on and it's gone by the next changing. I swear by it. Plus, it doesn't smell gross like Desitin nor does it have mineral oil in it....(I know, I'm kinda a freak about this stuff). If you like the outdoors a Baby Bjorn is great and it's nice for grocery store trips too. Much better quality than cheaper ones on the market. Worth it. Albee Baby is a great, reliable website I've used to purchase things. Free shipping and no taxes. If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Good Luck with the adoption process! I'm so excited for you!

6:05 PM  
Blogger Sydney said...

Ok, so I know I am not a mom yet--but as a soon to be pediatrician ;-) , I swear by Dr. Brown's Baby Bottles--I did my research on them in college, and they not only help to retain more vitamins and minerals in the formula, they also seem to help with colicky babies. Just my two cents, for what it is worth. Love ya!

8:21 PM  
Blogger acte gratuit said...

Carseats: Go for the brand "Britax". More expensive, definitely worth it.

Stroller System: Go lighter and simpler. You'll use it longer. Forget the bells and whistles.

The best thing you can do is check out the book "Baby Bargains" by Denise and Alan Fields. It will tell you everything you need and don't need and where to get it cheapest. (I see Katie agree's...)

Good luck!

7:22 AM  
Blogger NAT said...

First of all, let me just say that I'm SO excited for you!

The book, "What To Expect The First Year" has really helped me in terms of questions regarding the baby, her needs, and expectations. Also, the book, "Baby Wise" which helped me to get my baby on more of a structured schedule as she grows.

I have the Evenflo Travel System and have really been impressed. Our Baby Bjorn has been nice, and so has our Boppie.

Emma has liked the Gerber Nuk Nipples - Orthodontic Silicon. They're shaped more like a woman's nipple and you can start off with slow flow and when the baby gets older, medium flow. This just helped my baby from choking on the milk/formula.

I would look into getting a bouncer as well. More preferably, one with a vibrating option. This can help soothe baby.

About a month or so ago, I went and bought a bottle warmer which I have loved as well.

Okay, sorry for going off. Since Emma is only 4 months old, I'm currently living it, so I hope that helps!

7:37 AM  
Blogger acte gratuit said...

Oh yeah...the best place to get baby equipment is from your ward members, friends and family. They're usually glad to have someone else store their big stuff when their kid has out grown it. (i.e. bouncy saucer, bassinet, or swing) You'll be amazed at what people are willing to lend you if you ask around...

7:48 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Hey,

I have ALL the books mentioned in the comments. I think I've talked to you about some of them before. You are more than welcome to borrow any or all of them. Also we've got lots of baby gear... if you want to come over and try some of it out before you purchase, feel free. My absolute can't live without baby item... Baby Bjorn, it's a must have. Look on craig's list, you can find them every now and then for super cheap, but they go fast!!

9:49 AM  
Blogger britt said...

Kar
we should definitely get together and chat about baby stuff. I have started going through stuff, getting ready to move so I am reminded of what I have. You have gotten a lot of good suggestions and advice. In addtion to what has been said, A boppy pillow is essential I think, not only for feeding but also for them to lay and eventually sit up with.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

Hi! I'm a friend of Jamie's and thought I'd give my 2 cents, also. A swing that will go side to side (like you standing and rocking) and a bouncy seat with vibrate. My kids slept in these for the first few weeks/months. I love them because their little heads are elevated a bit and they sleep better. Good luck! Jill

7:07 PM  
Blogger Beth & John said...

I agree with the comment about Consumer Reports. You can find out a lot with a subscription to their online stuff at consumerreports.org. It's pretty cheap (you can choose membership by month or longer) and way worth it. I really liked using an InStep jogging stroller for walks because the wheels didn't buckle like regular strollers. I also liked using a portable crib for baby to play in outside or be in a room with you without getting into projects etc. And my favorite toy (or seemed to be baby's favorite) were toys that made crinkly, jingly, etc. noises along with parts to teethe on. Hope you have fun shopping! love you Kar.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Daytrippingmom Media said...

Hi I'm also a fan of your site even though we've never met (I'm Jamie's cousin) I would have to say that I love the Graco Metroglide travel system- it comes with the infant seat (that you will use for about the first 6 months) and the stroller is great. It's very lightweight and easy to maneuver. I also have the peg perego and it's great. I could not live without my diaper bag. It's beautiful too. The brand is called petunia picklebottom and they are great because they can be used as a backpack or a messenger bag and it comes with a changing station. It's been a lifesaver!! you can check the bags at petuniapicklebottom.com. The two other things I can't live without is gripe water- great for hiccups, colic and teething and also my Baby Bjorn. It's a little more expensive than the other baby carriers but it's the best. Happy shopping!!

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones