"Waiting...waiting on the world to change!"
Well, I always hesitate to post too much about the adoption process, because even though I am consumed with it daily, I realize that there's not a lot to say, until the big stuff happens! But here are some thoughts and developments in the last month or so. The waiting (and waiting and waiting and waiting) is getting really old, and our profile isn't even finished yet! I'm in big trouble once it does go public, because I don't know how I will possibly be able to bear that wait! Let's hope it's not a long one!
We have been working hard on all our paperwork and have that part all done for the most part. We each had to do this huge, somewhat intrusive questionnaire, which we completed over Christmas. That part was a little difficult because you have to share such personal information and feelings about yourself and your spouse that you would really only share with your closest friends and family. But at the same time, it was kind-of liberating because I honestly felt kinda like I was sitting in a room with our birth parents, telling them all about myself, with my fingers crossed that they would choose us! I felt so protective of my answers, so concerned about what I was writing, and so careful about what I shared because I know who is going to be seeing this. In my head, I can see this picture so vividly -- a birth mom thumbing through the profiles with her heavy and worried heart, carrying a burden that most people can never and will never have to understand. And something prompts her to stop on ours, so she stops and she reads, and she looks at our pictures, and she feels something that draws her to us. So she takes our profile home, and she looks at it some more, and she re-reads our story, and in her heart, the Spirit tells her that we are the ones! And although her heart is breaking, she feels peace, because she has found someone who will love her baby as much as she does at that moment, though they have never met him/her. And that image in my head made those questions that we answered sooooo important to me! Talk about good motivation.
Anyway, I'm antsy! Soooo antsy! I feel like we are at a bit of a stand-still because we can't really move forward until our background checks are returned and cleared. That takes at least two months, and it has only been about a month and a week since ours were sent in. Ughhh! In the meantime, we will be working on writing a letter that will be given to birth parents who look at us (which I am sooo excited to write because of the strong emotions and love I already feel for those special girls who are making such a HUGE sacrifice) and our picture profile. We also have our individual interviews scheduled for next week. This will be the first time we will meet our case-worker. We have only had email correspondence with her so far, which has been a bit disappointing for me. I guess I had the expectation that she would be VERY involved and up to this point, she still feels like a distant stranger. But hopefully that will change when we finally meet her. I just worry because she holds a lot of all of this in her hands (writing our profiles, sharing us with birth moms, etc.) and I want her to really know us so that she can represent us in the best way. Maybe it's my naivity in doing this for the first time to have such expectations. So, after the interviews and the background checks are cleared, the only thing left is our home visit and then the profile will start to circulate!! I wish that was tomorrow! At least then we would know that we are in the running! We will also be creating a profile that will be available online at LDS Family Services website. I will be sure to share the link when it is up and running so you all can weigh in on what you think.
So, for now, the waiting game continues! I knew it was going to be a long process, and have tried to go into this with no time expectations, but honestly, how do you not get anxious?! I am so antsy for things to move forward and yet there's just not a whole lot we can do to make it move quicker! I need a prescription for patience pills, I think! Thanks for all the emails and messages of thought and interest and concern for us. We value our friends and family so much for the support they have given to us through this whole process! More updates to come...
We have been working hard on all our paperwork and have that part all done for the most part. We each had to do this huge, somewhat intrusive questionnaire, which we completed over Christmas. That part was a little difficult because you have to share such personal information and feelings about yourself and your spouse that you would really only share with your closest friends and family. But at the same time, it was kind-of liberating because I honestly felt kinda like I was sitting in a room with our birth parents, telling them all about myself, with my fingers crossed that they would choose us! I felt so protective of my answers, so concerned about what I was writing, and so careful about what I shared because I know who is going to be seeing this. In my head, I can see this picture so vividly -- a birth mom thumbing through the profiles with her heavy and worried heart, carrying a burden that most people can never and will never have to understand. And something prompts her to stop on ours, so she stops and she reads, and she looks at our pictures, and she feels something that draws her to us. So she takes our profile home, and she looks at it some more, and she re-reads our story, and in her heart, the Spirit tells her that we are the ones! And although her heart is breaking, she feels peace, because she has found someone who will love her baby as much as she does at that moment, though they have never met him/her. And that image in my head made those questions that we answered sooooo important to me! Talk about good motivation.
Anyway, I'm antsy! Soooo antsy! I feel like we are at a bit of a stand-still because we can't really move forward until our background checks are returned and cleared. That takes at least two months, and it has only been about a month and a week since ours were sent in. Ughhh! In the meantime, we will be working on writing a letter that will be given to birth parents who look at us (which I am sooo excited to write because of the strong emotions and love I already feel for those special girls who are making such a HUGE sacrifice) and our picture profile. We also have our individual interviews scheduled for next week. This will be the first time we will meet our case-worker. We have only had email correspondence with her so far, which has been a bit disappointing for me. I guess I had the expectation that she would be VERY involved and up to this point, she still feels like a distant stranger. But hopefully that will change when we finally meet her. I just worry because she holds a lot of all of this in her hands (writing our profiles, sharing us with birth moms, etc.) and I want her to really know us so that she can represent us in the best way. Maybe it's my naivity in doing this for the first time to have such expectations. So, after the interviews and the background checks are cleared, the only thing left is our home visit and then the profile will start to circulate!! I wish that was tomorrow! At least then we would know that we are in the running! We will also be creating a profile that will be available online at LDS Family Services website. I will be sure to share the link when it is up and running so you all can weigh in on what you think.
So, for now, the waiting game continues! I knew it was going to be a long process, and have tried to go into this with no time expectations, but honestly, how do you not get anxious?! I am so antsy for things to move forward and yet there's just not a whole lot we can do to make it move quicker! I need a prescription for patience pills, I think! Thanks for all the emails and messages of thought and interest and concern for us. We value our friends and family so much for the support they have given to us through this whole process! More updates to come...





9 Comments:
I appreciate you sharing that detailed description, Kar. I have been curious as to the process and what is going on. PLEASE keep us updated. Good luck. As with anything exciting, life-changing, it is always soo hard to wait!
Love you
Thanks for answering what I've been wondering lately. Patience would be my biggest challenge too, esp when you've really already been waiting so many years anyway!!
My background check took 6 weeks and I had lived in 3 different states. Hang tight, your little one is on his or her way!!!
Tiffany
I love hearing about the adoption updates. I know there is a baby waiting for his mom and dad to get there profile up and running! Good luck with everything...hopefully not to much longer.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and emotions. You have helped me understand the process a little better, and we feel antsy for you as well! We think you both are extra wonderful and we love you so much!
Thanks for the DETAILED update on "the process" honey. I really love hearing all those details cause I keep thinking (as you do) that it should be about completed. The wheels surely turn slowly for such IMPORTANT things in our lives. We love you two and pray everyday for a speedy answer to YOUR prayers. Love you Kar
I can't wait for all you paperwork and homestudies to be done so your profile will go up! I do believe that my SIL linked her blog to her provident living profile and that is how her daughter's birthmom fell in love with their family. I would DEFINITELY include this site in your profile.
Thank you for the update. You two are amazing and we are so excited for you guys! I am sure waiting is the hardest part but we all know it WILL be worth it:)
All our love
Hey Kar, its nice to know whats going on at this point. We are always thinking about you and we are praying for you. I have a problem with patience and can't wait for this to happen for you, so I can't imagine what you are going through. We love you so much!! Thanks for the update!
Post a Comment
<< Home