RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: Hold on Tight, Here We Go!!

Friday, October 27, 2006

Hold on Tight, Here We Go!!

Well, this is just odd for me. I feel like I am announcing that I'm pregnant, which I'm not. But in a way, it feels that way! I have been hesitant to make much of an announcement about this, well, because it's still sinking in and it's still so new and early. Chris and I have done A LOT of soul-searching, talking, praying, thinking and worrying over the last few weeks (well, for a long time, actually) and finally decided this last weekend that we are going to move forward with adoption!!! It induces major butterflies to my stomach to even be writing this! The good kind of butterflies, though! And nervous ones too!

We called LDS Family Services a few days ago and spoke with the agency a little bit. They are sending us out a HUGE packet, that apparently will answer many of the millions of initial questions about all of this that we have, so I feel like I will know so much more once we get that. At this point, I feel like I've been going through the week with my eyes wide open, just trying to take in every bit of information that I come across. We have a meeting next week for a few hours, which will continue to answer questions and give us much needed information. From there, I'm not quite sure how things will happen, how it all progresses, etc.

But every time I think about this, which has been pretty much every other minute every day, I get so emotional and happy and excited and nervous and scared and excited (did I already say that?!). It has been hard for me to force myself to try and not feel too much because the logical and realistic part of me (too much practicality seems to be my weakness sometimes) tells me that just because we have made the decision to move forward certainly DOES NOT mean that this is going to happen quickly. I have heard every scenerio under the sun -- a couple signed up for adoption and within two days were picked for a child, a couple signed up for adoption and after 3 years is still waiting, a couple signed up for adoption and then got pregnant, etc, etc, etc. There is just no possible prediction kit that can be used in this situation. So, I have to balance the excitement with reality and constantly remind myself that it is possible that this could take a long time. But then I think, I am going to let myself be excited. Why not be excited about such a huge step in our lives, that will ultimately CHANGE our lives?! Just embrace these feelings and emotions as they come and remember this journey we are starting on. I know there will inevitably be frustration as well as joys, as there have been over the last 3 1/2 years that we have waited and wanted to grow our family. And that is the beauty of life and all of its' big and small moments and experiences. At this particular moment of the journey, I'm going to go ahead and be THRILLED and anything else that my emotions cause me to feel!

I feel like I need to take a minute to express my love to Chris. Until you go through something really difficult with someone you love, I don't think you realize just how deep your love is. We have heard of many people in similar situations to ours who have seen a serious toll taken on their marriages to the point of breaking. This has just not been the case for us. I say this, not in pride, but in complete and total humility and gratitude. This trial has been a blessing in so many ways, but most importantly, a blessing to our marriage. One thing I have said and felt over and over again through this difficult challenge that we have faced, is that one of its' most obvious fruits has been the unbreakable, deep connection and bond that has solidified between Chris and I. We have loved each other and supported each other through the hardest moments and as a result (and maybe we didn't always realize that it was happening) we have had the opportunity early on in our marriage to create this foundation that is so solid and so strong. We have become even better than the best of friends when it seemed that we were already the best of friends when we first got married. We have truly learned what it means to lift one another up when one or both of us has felt trapped in discouragement. Chris has this gift of being able to make me laugh my head off, even when my heart is hurting the most. He has let me cry (and cry and cry and cry) when that's what I needed. He has even patiently endured the off-the-charts mood swings that all of the fertility medication (I call them the "beast pills") threw me on -- and trust me, that had to have been difficult!! His has been the constant voice of encouragement, motivation, reason, strength and hope through this and every other thing that has come about in our 4 years together. He is the most special, unique, genuinely GOOD person I have ever known, and I don't think I would have appreciated this nearly as much had we not gone through this trial together. Throughout it all, I have always maintained that I already got the BEST thing that could have ever been given to me in marrying him and that anything else that comes will just be a bonus. And to have a family with this man that I love will be a HUGE bonus! I can't even begin to express enough gratitude and love to Chris. And now, I look forward. I look forward to this new journey and to the years ahead of having our dreams come true together, just as my dream has already come true in finding such a perfect and wonderful husband. Chris, I love you more than you could ever know. Thank you for carrying me through everything!

Well, I now will close my novel! Sorry, this is just a culmination of so many emotions and feelings. I feel like it's time to just hold on tight and get ready for this ride! And I'm excited!

12 Comments:

Blogger britt said...

I am so excited for you too sis! Whatever happens once this whole process starts, I want you to know I am here for you, as your sister and as your friend, to help in ANY way I can.
I Love you.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm a complete stranger, but I'm so excited to hear your new about adoption! I have two adorable little adopted kids and I am just sooo excited for you. If you have any questions on the process, or tips, etc. email me, because we are pros at adoption now! I'm Debbie's friend Wendy in So. Cal.
www.tylerandwendy.squarespace.com
you can email me from there if you need any help.
Best wishes!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

i cannot begin to tell you how excited i am for you guys. this is such a big step, i could see why you would have all those feelings.

i am also so happy that wendy made a comment on your site. she is wonderful! ask her any questions you may have.

love ya!

2:22 PM  
Blogger Eliza2006 said...

Congratulations! Moving forward, no matter how long it takes, feels much better than standing still. Hang on...it can be a wild ride! I'm so happy for you...crying tears of joy right now!

Tiffany

3:51 PM  
Blogger Jamie and Family said...

Kar, what incredible news!!!! Oh my gosh!!! What an incredible journey you are embarking on.

I so understand what you said about being cautious to be too excited and being so "practical". I am that way too and I have to say one of my regrets in the way I handled things when Jordyn was in the hospital for those 11 weeks is that I was too scared to let myself feel too happy when things went well for fear that if she died or were handicapped in the end. So I held back my emotions,and now I wish I would have documented feelings and pictures more and not been so paralyzed by the "what if" syndrome. Anyway, dive in all the way and let yourself FEEL - regardless of the exact outcome because you can't control that part! Congrats!!!! So excited to follow your journey with you. Whatever way you get a precious baby into your arms will be so worth it and amazing.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Mugs said...

Oh that's so awesome you two! Congratulations! This is exactly what my brother and is wife did. All of your dreams are going to come true and in a way that will be even better than you expected. Happy days! Love Camille

8:00 AM  
Blogger Carlotta said...

That is so awesome. I don't know if you would need any added help but one of my old roommates Wendy lives in provo and she worked with LDS social services and did adoptions for 6 yrs. She would be a wealth of knowledge if you are interested. Let me know. How exciting!!!! Somebody out there is going to be a vessel to bring your baby into the world for you and Chris. I have a good friend that gave her baby up for adoption and she was matched with the perfect family and is loved more then life itself and it is just another miracle in life!!! Jump into it with your WHOLE body and soul. Can't wait to see and experiance this journey with you. You are going to give a Child of our Heavenly Father opportunities that he or she may otherwise not experiance. Love, a family, and the True Gospel of Jesus Christ. So EXCITING!!!!!!! Take care

6:57 PM  
Blogger Sydney said...

i am so excited and happy for you both--as soon as I can calm down enough to think about the time difference and when it would be appropriate to call you so I don't wake you up, I am on the phone!! Love you!

7:58 AM  
Blogger acte gratuit said...

Hi Karlie, I'm an old friend of Chris and the little sister of Karie Powell. Ironically, I was going to refer you to my cousin's website, but she beat me to it. (Comment #2 from Wendy) She started her site when they were working on their first adoption and it's really cool. Good luck with everything!!! (P.S. Wendy isn't a complete stranger...she knows Chris through me.)
Congrats in advance! I hope your wait wont be too long!
Sincerely,
Emily (used to be Call)

2:27 PM  
Blogger absolutegray said...

Hi, you don't know me. I wanted to say good luck and enjoy the ride. You will be so happy when at the end you have a beautiful baby. It will all be worth it!!!!

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post made me tear up with excitement for you. Adoption has been a huge blessing for our family - Wendy (a very popular girl in this thread) is my SIL and our entire family has been incredibly lucky to witness how adoption builds a family in a different and very exciting way.

Congratulations on your decision!

5:30 PM  
Blogger dawn said...

We are waiting for number 2 and adoption is the best thing ever for our family.....take a look! Congratulations and good luck!

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones