She's FIVE!
Our sweetest Kaiya-bear turns FIVE today, and I gotta say, this is a big one for me! There is something about her hitting this milestone, starting kindergarten in a couple weeks, and just her overall growth this past year -- it's all so surreal and I'm having a hard time grasping it! I feel like she's moving to college, I swear! It's always a bit extra bitter-sweet with your oldest because you experience everything for the first time with them, but you also realize for the first time with them how quickly the time passes through your hands and it doesn't stop!
What can I even begin to say about this little angel of ours?! I love her more than I could ever say. I just absolutely adore her and melt with her sweet, soft smile. She is really, truly the sweetest little girl you could ever meet. She is so sensitive -- to people and their needs and when they are sad or hurt, to spiritual things, to her family members. But also to anything or anyone that is mean or hurtful and sometimes those are hard life lessons to learn. I wish I could protect her from all of that, but I know it is important for her to learn how to navigate through hiccups in friendships and how to handle people who hurt her. One thing I will say about Kaiya is that she is a really good friend to others. She is so kind and considerate of her little friends and making sure everyone is happy and feels welcomed when they are playing. She is careful with people's feelings and I think that will give her some really wonderful friendships throughout her life -- who wouldn't want to be friends with someone like that?! I am very proud of her for that. I always think it's just better to be nice...always. And that's Kaiya!
Kaiya has become such an amazing little helper. I love how she owns her independence and wants to do everything herself. She loves to pull out the broom in the morning and sweep the floor. She loves to wipe down counters and couches and dirty spots on the floor. She wants to pour her own cereal and milk and make her own sandwiches and really, pretty much do everything on her own. I love it! She is learning new skills all the time and soaks it all in! I just wish this helpfulness lasted into the teen years! She is so helpful with her sisters -- from buckling Taylor into her seat to holding Avery's hand to help her up, or brushing hair or scolding them when they make a mess -- hehe! She is the BEST big sister. She watches over her little sisters and takes such good care of them, even if they do drive her crazy sometimes. And she's not afraid to make that known to them frequently!
Kaiya is really so smart. She LOVES to learn and can't get enough of it. She is in constant motion to figure something new out, to try something new, to master and practice something that is difficult. I love her determination and persistence. She did really well in preschool this past year and is more than ready for kindergarten! We have been working on reading for the past 6 months or so and she is doing AWESOME! I love it! It's the most amazing thing to see something click or to see her sound out a word -- I feel like doing a cartwheel! But knowing Kaiya, she would never want too much attention or fuss over any of it. She's happy to just quietly do amazing things! Another thing I love about her! She also LOVES to write anything and everything and color and paint and do puzzles and anything that makes her think.
We still can't get her to really care one bit about riding her bike. She will every once in a blue moon if we force her to get on, but she just is not interested. But she LOVES her scooter and zooms around on that thing like nobody's business (and gives mom a heart attack -- can't she please slow down?). She is so curious about bugs (but has a heart attack every time she sees a bee) and flowers and most of all, DOGS! We can hardly ever finish a walk because the second she sees another dog walking, she runs up and asks to pet it. She loves animals so much. She loves the water and the sun and being outside. She loves playing with friends -- something that I particularly love to watch because she has come out of her shell so much and has really made some sweet little friendships.
Favorite foods at five: candy (the first thing she said when I asked her!), mac n' cheese, turkey, kiwi, peaches, grapes, otter pops, anything chocolate, carrots, olives and tomatoes. She is my least picky eater and will eat most anything.
Favorite songs: Home (Phillip Phillips), Pontoon (Little Big Town), Lay You Down (ALO and Jack Johnson), and the songs from her Strawberry Shortcake movies. She also loves Families Can be Together Forever and I Love to See the Temple. She is always amazed that Chris and I know the songs she learns at Primary -- like, "how do YOU know that song?!"
Favorite friends: Paige and Charity and Ellie and Nick and Bryce.
Favorite Colors: Blue and yellow
Favorite book: Cinderella
Favorite movie: Strawberry Shortcake
Favorite tv show: Peppa Pig
I am so grateful that Kaiya is a part of my life, that she is my oldest daughter, that I get to be her mom, that I get to learn how to be better from such a patient, kind, gentle person. She teaches me so much and she is so patient when I fail. She is so, so beautiful, inside and out. I sometimes sit and stare at her and I can see traces of that tiny baby face that I held what seems like just yesterday. She has changed so much. Long, beautiful, wavy hair. Gorgeous green eyes with long dark lashes. A smile that is so soft and shy, but also sometimes as big as the sun and equally as bright and warm. Busy, steady, capable little hands with fingernails that she ALWAYS wants to be polished in pink! It seems impossible to look at her and think that not so long ago, I held her tiny little body in one arm! Luckily she still allows me to hold her and snuggle and loves a good back scratch and let's me indulge in hugs and kisses pretty much anytime I want -- lucky me!
I never, ever, EVER forget about the miracles that brought our sweet girl to us. Though I don't talk about it as often (because I don't want it to be the only thing that Kaiya is identified by), there is still not a single day that goes by that I don't express gratitude to my Heavenly Father for Jessika and for Him allowing us to find this little girl meant for our family. I treasure our story with her and it is always near the surface in my heart because I can't imagine if we hadn't found each other or if she weren't here. Every member of our family is blessed beyond measure because Kaiya is here with us. Nobody could fill the shoes of the big sis like she does. Nobody brings the gentle sweetness in the special way that Kaiya does. My life has been a dream these past 5 years because she has been here. I am amazed at her. I am humbled by such a gift. I am motivated by how special she is to me to always strive to be better. I can't believe 5 years has come and gone, but am soooo grateful that we have so much to look forward to!
Happy Birthday, my sweetness! I love you THIS much, Kai-bear, you big ole' 5-year old!!





3 Comments:
When my girls turned 5 I had a hard time also. Sending Lindsay off to Kindergarten was pretty much one of my worst days as a Mother. I had so much anxiety and I was so nervous that she would not make it home on the bus...but she always did. :)
Happy birthday to Ms K! I think I found your blog right about the time you were matched with Jessika, and its been such a privilege reading along your family adventures. May your sweet girl be forever surrounded by love and grace.
Blessings.
So glad you are keeping up with all the "big steps"! Love that girl Kaiya
Post a Comment
<< Home