A different, but happy Mother's Day!
Ok, a few days late, I know, but still important! This year, Mother's Day was somewhat unique! It just so happened that Chris had to be gone out of town for work this year and I was quite bummed to not have him around! After all, I wouldn't be a mother if he wasn't a father so he's kind-of an essential piece to my family! Hehe! Plus, he's always soooo good at spoiling me and making it such a nice day for me! But even being far away, he still managed to work his magic and it really was a lovely day!
Chris sent me a beautiful bouquet of tulips in the mail, which was a beautiful surprise and made my day! On top of that, he sent me a box of Shari's Berries -- HUGE, loaded chocolate-covered strawberries! Oh my heavens, they were divine! I will admit, I hid those in the fridge and did NOT share with the kids! It was my after hours snack when the kids were in bed! I felt so special and so loved, even though Chris was not there with me. He's always so kind and thoughtful and I appreciated his efforts even more this year because I know it took a lot more thought and planning! What a lucky gal I am! Thanks, baby!
We started off the day with Kaiya giving me a gift she made at school and she was soooo excited about it! It was a "Breakfast-in-bed-bag". The outside was decorated with a picture of me that Kai had colored, laying on a pillow in bed. So cute! Inside was some yummy breakfast treats and the funniest part was as soon as I opened it up and started to pull things out and tell Kai how much I loved it, she said, "Mom, can I have some?!" So, I was happy to share my breakfast with my girls and we all enjoyed it! We had a really nice day at church too!
Later on, we went and met up with my sister and her kids (since we were both single moms on Mother's Day) and had a really nice time at the park! The cousins played and the moms talked...and did a lot of chasing kids around! I can't say it was necessarily the most relaxing Mother's Day I've ever had! But I was so happy that we were together and didn't have to spend the day alone! It was a beautifully warm, sunny day and I really did enjoy myself! Unique circumstances made for a unique day, but it was great! It's only appropriate to be a mom on Mother's Day, right?! I love my sister so much and am so proud of her and the strength she has. I admire her immensely and I could think of no better person (well, except for maybe Chris) to spend the day with!
Of course, as always, I feel like Mother's Day is such a special occasion, not so much because of the spoiling and special attention (although, who doesn't like a day of spoiling?!), but because of how GRATEFUL I feel for my mom, my mother-in-law, my grandmother's, my sister and sisters-in-law, and pretty much every single mother who has had an impact on my life (and there have been soooo many)! And for the overwhelming sense of gratitude I feel that I get to be a mom! It is a privilege I will never truly feel worthy of, but one that I am constantly trying to honor in the best way I can. It would never be enough to be a mom -- what makes it so very special is that I am a mom to Kaiya and Taylor and Avery. They make being a mom the best thing I have ever experienced! I am humbled and confused and make mistakes every single day in so many ways at this most important job. But I also feel that I have learned so very much in the last 5 years, that some things that I never knew how to do before have become second nature. I am more comfortable in my role and more confident in the daily decisions that I have to make that effect my children -- what to feed them, how to discipline them, the direction of our conversations, the teaching moments I take advantage of, etc, etc. I don't think you ever truly feel like you've got it down, there are new challenges that come up all the time that you have to navigate through. But I have felt the help come on countless occasions from a loving Father in Heaven, who has a greater love and interest in these children than we can imagine. And as one of His children too, I also know He has a great interest in my work as a mother and my needs and concerns and worries. I have learned that if I will seek His help in my role, He will help me do my best for these girls! What a blessing!
I am so thankful for my mom. I love her as my mother, of course, but also as one of my closest and most trusted friends. I cherish my relationship with her and the unfailing support and encouragement I always feel from her. I have missed her so much over this past year and I am more than anxious for her return in a couple of months! Oh the fun we will have when she gets back! I admire her strength and her character and her faithfulness. I admire her positive and happy outlook on life, that things will always work out! I admire her love and devotion to my dad and to her children and grandchildren. She is everything I hope to be, she really is! And how I love my mother-in-law as well! She is such a genuinely kind and charitable person. She has made me feel like her daughter and welcomed me into her family in such a special way. She lives close to the spirit and is expressive with her feelings of love for her family. I am really grateful that I got her as part of the package when I married Chris! I have beautiful sisters -- all such amazing mothers, all tackling really hard things in life with such faith and strength. I cherish my relationships with them as well. One of my grandmother's passed away this past fall and I think of her often. She left such an example of kindness, thoughtfulness, spunk and hard work. And my grandmother still here is also full of genuine concern and love for her family. She is also incredibly faithful and full of life! I am just so grateful for all these amazing women who have touched my life so much. Truly inspiring friends, amazing family members, and other quiet examples who may never know how much I look up to them!
What a special occasion to celebrate so many that I love! I am grateful for this reserved day to do just that!





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home