Soap Box
Ok, bear with me, I'm going to go off for a second...
I don't understand why some people choose not to vaccinate their kids. I mean, sure, it's their choice and really none of my business. But doesn't it become my business when those people come to church with the measles?!
Yes, it's true. Someone came to church with the measles on Sunday, only they didn't have the bumps yet, just the flu symptoms. They had a son at home with the measles (in the rash stage). Common sense would indicate that if the rest of you in that same family haven't been immunized (which they hadn't) you will get the measles too because you live with the person infected and this is an incredibly contagious virus.
Monday night, the leaders of our ward were going door to door to tell everyone about it and to encourage everyone to get their shots. If you get the vaccination within 72 hours, your chances become very reduced that you will get it. Good news, right? Yeah, especially since Chris and I were already vaccinated and Kaiya and Taylor were able to go get their second and final shots. (FYI, your kids do NOT have to wait until they are 4 to get the second round of MMR shots, if there is a concern.)
The bad news? Avery is too young to get the vaccination. Normally this vaccination is not given until 12 months old, but in the rare occurrence of an outbreak they can get a booster at 6 months. Avery is 4 months old. And I was holding her all during the second two hours of church sitting just feet from the infected person, with no clue that they were infected. We have heard that this virus is so contagious that 90% of people who are not vaccinated that are even in the same room as an infected person will get it. Our doctor has told us that babies under 6 months old get their immunity from their mothers, which gives me a bit of comfort. But I'm still really nervous. Symptoms don't start to show for 10-14 days after exposure, so it will be a week or so before Avery would show any signs if she did get it. It will be a long week of worrying. It can be very serious if a baby this young gets it. Please cross your fingers for little Avery.
The thing that just kills me is that this is now a PREVENTABLE illness! We are not living in the 1920's!! Come on people, why are we still dealing with the measles?! I know there are very rare situations where children are not able to get their vaccinations and I am sympathetic to those types of situations. But when parents just choose not to do it because of INCORRECT information that they are fed from INCORRECT sources, I just don't have any tolerance for it. When parents make that decision, they are infringing on MY rights and the rights of those who cannot be vaccinated -- like my little Avery. Or the pregnant woman who was sitting close to this same infected person at church. It's just not fair. And quite frankly, it makes me really mad. I don't know what the circumstances are of the person who brought it to church. Maybe they aren't able to get vaccinated for some reason. BUT, they did know that they had the measles floating around their family and therefore, should have taken precautions and stayed the heck home!
Ok, that's my tangent. I just don't understand it. And now we will be saying lots of prayers for little Avery that she does not catch this horrible sickness because of someone else' carelessness. UGHHH!!
I don't understand why some people choose not to vaccinate their kids. I mean, sure, it's their choice and really none of my business. But doesn't it become my business when those people come to church with the measles?!
Yes, it's true. Someone came to church with the measles on Sunday, only they didn't have the bumps yet, just the flu symptoms. They had a son at home with the measles (in the rash stage). Common sense would indicate that if the rest of you in that same family haven't been immunized (which they hadn't) you will get the measles too because you live with the person infected and this is an incredibly contagious virus.
Monday night, the leaders of our ward were going door to door to tell everyone about it and to encourage everyone to get their shots. If you get the vaccination within 72 hours, your chances become very reduced that you will get it. Good news, right? Yeah, especially since Chris and I were already vaccinated and Kaiya and Taylor were able to go get their second and final shots. (FYI, your kids do NOT have to wait until they are 4 to get the second round of MMR shots, if there is a concern.)
The bad news? Avery is too young to get the vaccination. Normally this vaccination is not given until 12 months old, but in the rare occurrence of an outbreak they can get a booster at 6 months. Avery is 4 months old. And I was holding her all during the second two hours of church sitting just feet from the infected person, with no clue that they were infected. We have heard that this virus is so contagious that 90% of people who are not vaccinated that are even in the same room as an infected person will get it. Our doctor has told us that babies under 6 months old get their immunity from their mothers, which gives me a bit of comfort. But I'm still really nervous. Symptoms don't start to show for 10-14 days after exposure, so it will be a week or so before Avery would show any signs if she did get it. It will be a long week of worrying. It can be very serious if a baby this young gets it. Please cross your fingers for little Avery.
The thing that just kills me is that this is now a PREVENTABLE illness! We are not living in the 1920's!! Come on people, why are we still dealing with the measles?! I know there are very rare situations where children are not able to get their vaccinations and I am sympathetic to those types of situations. But when parents just choose not to do it because of INCORRECT information that they are fed from INCORRECT sources, I just don't have any tolerance for it. When parents make that decision, they are infringing on MY rights and the rights of those who cannot be vaccinated -- like my little Avery. Or the pregnant woman who was sitting close to this same infected person at church. It's just not fair. And quite frankly, it makes me really mad. I don't know what the circumstances are of the person who brought it to church. Maybe they aren't able to get vaccinated for some reason. BUT, they did know that they had the measles floating around their family and therefore, should have taken precautions and stayed the heck home!
Ok, that's my tangent. I just don't understand it. And now we will be saying lots of prayers for little Avery that she does not catch this horrible sickness because of someone else' carelessness. UGHHH!!





13 Comments:
Amen!! We'll be praying for sweet Avery girl...
It is really nuts that some choose not to be immunized but we always had a few when I was teaching and they would therefore expose whole classes. But sweet girl Avery will be O.K.--I know it is fearful for you but trust.....
I totally agree. It seriously ticks me off. I hope Avery doesn't get it, prayers your way for healthy babies!
Sorry I'm a total stranger commenting on your post. My friend Amber Deets posted a link to it, and I just had to say we'll put in a prayer for you and everyone who was exposed. It's true that people are a little too careless with church and contagious illnesses, and this obviously went even beyond that. I'm always so happy when nurseries are really serious about their policies for fevers and other symptoms. It looks like you guys are Grovers? so I just have to tell you that seeing your blog cracked me up. We're also Grovers - also have a bunch of little ones - also Mormon - also have a 4 month old baby - I feel like our families are twins, separated at birth :). Hope that your family and everyone else in your ward is able to stay safe from such a scary illness. Goodluck!
Sounds like a speech I've heard from Sara, too! Can't agree with you more.
Oh man.. I can't agree with this blog more. We are so blessed to have immunizations and live in these times. I don't get why people are so crazy about those things. It makes my blood BOIL! I will send a prayer your way...
I would be absolutely furious! I'm sure all will be well but I'm sure that doesn't help the worrying. I'm so sorry and I will do my best to help:)
I could have written the same exact post about a year ago. A family in our ward doesn't vaccinate and two of her kids got whooping cough last summer. Before she was aware that it was whooping cough she brought her kids over to my house when my baby was just a couple of weeks old. It was just after their visit that her two girls got really sick and I worried for weeks that Hugh's cold would worsen to the point of whooping cough, too. It was awful! I was so upset and felt like it was so irresponsible for people to not vaccinate, exposing innocent babies to terrible diseases.
Amen, sister.
That's all I've got to say or otherwise I'll rant.
I want to add an AMEN and a preach on SISTA!
Been thinking about you lots and know that sweet Avery will be OK. TRY not to worry sis, easy for me to say right??!?! love ya
thanks for the talks lately :)
Oh my goodness! I am so sorry you had to worry like that! I hope nobody comes down with it! I would be a mess worrying too! I hope you're all feeling well today.
Agree with every word, Kar! You hang in there. Prayers your way for you and your sweet family! Take faith - and know your baby will be fine.
Post a Comment
<< Home