RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: December continued!

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

December continued!

I kinda feel like my blog has turned into a recap site and I haven't been so good about writing feelings and such. I feel like I will get back to that more when we finish having such a fun month! There's just soooo much going on!

Anyway, we continue to enjoy this month -- soooo much! I feel like every single day is chock full of a combination of things that need to get done to get ready for the big day, lots of fun activities, and trying really hard to keep the spirit of the season in our family's hearts. It's hard to balance all of that! But I have to say, I feel like I have been able to ENJOY things myself a lot more this year, instead of feeling overwhelmed and like my head is spinning out of control! Those things are still happening too, but I am really loving the spirit of things this year!

Last weekend, we were able to revisit what we hope will now be an annual tradition for our family. We went up to Logan to the live Nativity that we went to last year. I've said this before, but this is by far one of my favorite things we have done. It is held at this old farm, with all these really old animal stables -- very rustic and makes the atmosphere feel so authentic. The animals are always a highlight for the kids. They have small numbers of all sorts of animals -- sheep, goats, horses, cows, chickens, donkeys, and a camel. Yes, that's right, a camel. Named Moses. He's our favorite! And he's HUGE! Our girls BEGGED us to ride him -- ha! He wasn't giving rides that day, I guess! The animals are all available to touch and our kids love that. There was a goat that was a pregnant as I have ever seen an animal be, and our girls were fascinated with how HUGE her belly was! The donkeys are particularly sweet and love to be pet. And there is a horse-drawn hay ride, which again, is another HUGE highlight for us! So fun! And then there is this one little, tiny stable. It's the best part of all. That's where, when you walk in, things are much more quiet and peaceful. A couple of donkeys and sheep linger around. And in the back corner, there is a manger full of hay, surrounded by actors portraying Mary (who holds a tiny, swaddled baby doll), Joseph, the shepherds, and the wise men. It is very reverent, with beautiful music playing softly in the background. It's dimly lit. There is just enough movement to reenact the scene, but not too much, keeping it really simple. As our kids looked on, we were able to spend a few minutes knelt down next to them, talking with them about the familiar story that now had come alive for them. I could hardly hold back my tears, so much was in my heart. I am so thankful for the reminder of that night so long ago, when my Savior came into this life. It changed everything. Yet it was such a simple, sweet, tender event. I am so grateful to be able to share this with our children, and hope that they feel of the importance of it. I think they do. Theirs are innocent, believing, loving hearts. And this is what is is ALL about. A COLD, but sweet night indeed!
The next day, was also a special day! We got to celebrate my amazing Grandma Thurgood's 93rd birthday. We had her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren who live here in Utah gather together and enjoy lunch with Grandma. It was a really fabulous day for an even more fabulous lady. How I love my Grandma. She has been such an example to me throughout my whole life and continues to bring a special influence into my life. I am amazed at all that she has accomplished, all the good she has done for others. And equally amazed that now, at 93, she still has that spunk and smile that I have always loved about her. Happy Birthday, dear Grandma! I love you to pieces! And so grateful for the chance to spend time with cousins and loved ones that we don't get to see all that often!
 More to come!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

93! That is amazing. I remember her so well. She is amazing:) Those generational pictures are so special.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones