RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: A December to remember!

Sunday, December 30, 2012

A December to remember!

I guess now that the month (and the year, for that matter) is coming to an end, I better catch up and get my updates on here!

First off, we were able to have my Grandmother's funeral a few weeks ago and it was truly a wonderful, special occasion. I thought it would be really sad to be having a funeral a few days before Christmas, but it turned out to be the complete opposite. It was so neat. It was such a special reason for our entire family to come together and celebrate the life of such an amazing woman. We had all of our immediate family here (both of my brothers were able to make it out here from out of state) and then all of my aunts and uncles and cousins and their families and so many friends. I remember at one point in the funeral, looking around the room and being just utterly amazed at what my sweet Grandmother had created with my Grandpa. Soooo many people whose lives were touched by her. Her funeral was so beautiful and I felt like it was such a perfect reflection of her life. It was so nice to see everyone. I can honestly say that I felt happy being there. The sadness was tempered so much by all the love and wonderful memories and knowledge of where she is now. I was also so grateful for the unique and special opportunity that her passing gave me to truly and deeply reflect on the Atonement of the Savior and all that His gifts and sacrifices have given to us. Because of Him, we will be with my Grandma again. To know that through His miraculous resurrection, she will have her strong and healthy body back, in completion. That is really what Christmas is all about -- remembering the precious gifts and meaning of our Saviors life and death, and I'm grateful that through my Grandma's passing, I was able to take that more fully into my heart. It was her last gift to us here on the earth and I love her for that. 

It was so nice to have my brothers here for a few days. We were able to spend some nice time with them. One night, all of the adults went out to dinner and a movie and we so enjoyed the time to talk and laugh and be together. It was really, really great. Just hanging out together is precious time that we don't get nearly enough, so I'm really grateful for that time with them and my sister. 
(my mom and her 4 siblings)
 (precious moments with the great grandchildren)
 (what handsome, wonderful guys they are! my brothers, Jason and Aaron, and my Chris)
 (my amazing family)
(my siblings and I: Aaron, Britt, me, Jason)
As for some of our other December activities...of course, there was our annual trip to Temple Square! We went with my parents and my sister and her family. It was FUH-REEZING! But it was really fun and never an opportunity to be missed at Christmas time! 
We also had the very special opportunity (thanks to my parents serving their last mission with the new Choir President, who so kindly gave them tickets) to go to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's annual Christmas concert. I had never been to this before because it's so hard to get tickets. And I can now understand why EVERYONE wants a seat! It was one of the neatest productions I have ever been to. The Choir and Orchestra, of course, were PHENOMENAL. Seriously, such incredibly beautiful music. And then the special guests for the evening, Alfie Boe (from Les Mis fame) and Tom Brokaw, were also fantastic. One of my favorite moments from the night -- when Alfir Boe sang "Bring Him Home". It was amazing. Such a fabulous and unforgettable night. And it was so fun to spend it, enjoying a kid-less, delicious dinner and wonderful company with my sister and my parents. A wonderful Christmas memory!

We also spent an evening down at the Christmas Village in Ogden. It is really, really cool! So many lights and all these adorable little houses that various businesses decorate to the hilt. It was also freezing on this night! But our kids loved this one -- it was one of their favorites! They had a little miniature train that the kids could ride and then another big train that was giving rides around the block. We got on a really good one, as everyone riding with us started caroling and we were all laughing and having so much fun, spreading Christmas cheer! Our kids had a blast singing all their favorite Christmas songs! Super fun! Afterwards, we went to get some treats at Kneaders and low and behold, guess who was there?! That's right, Santa!! We didn't even know he was going to be there and it was such a treat because it was close to closing time and there was nobody else in there except for our family and Santa! So, he spent some extra good time with the kids and they LOVED it! They talked to him for a long time and he was so gracious and kind! A perfect ending to a really perfect night!
Ok, more to come when I can get to it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Janessa Couch said...

I have great memories of Ogdens Christmas Village. My Mom great up in Washington Terrace, which is a supburb of Ogden. Always was a highlight of my year.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones