Scattered update!
Well, I have a feeling that this one is going to be a bit scattered. There's the warning! There has been so, so much going on and I can't ever seem to find time to document it, so then I end up with these whirlwind posts, trying to remember some of the things that I want to jot down! Get ready for sporadic!
Last Friday, Kaiya had her "special day" at school. Each student has their own day where they are spotlighted at school and we, as her family, were supposed to make the whole day special for her! It was soooo fun to do this with her and for her! Kinda like having a birthday all over again! Kaiya requested chocolate chip pancakes and eggs for breakfast -- and who doesn't like that?! She picked out her outfit -- a new thing that she is loving to do! We finished up her book all about her and then it was off to school! Taylor, Avery, Grandma and I all got to go to Kaiya's class to help her celebrate her special day! The class guessed whose day it was, did a cheer for Kaiya, she got to be "crowned" and then got to sit in the teacher's chair to share her book and her mobile that hangs from the ceiling of the classroom -- all about her! (Horrible cell phone pics!)
She was sooo excited about this book and mobile! She worked really hard and was really particular about what pictures she wanted included and then practiced all week reading it so she would be ready to present it to everyone! I would even catch her sitting on the bed, reading her book and thumbing through her pictures with Taylor, as if Taylor was her class as school! Sooo cute! I was so choked up when I watched her sitting up there in front of her whole class, not the least bit nervous or shy, so happy to share the things that she loves! I could tell she felt so special and nothing could make me happier! Then, the most exciting part of the presentation for Kaiya, was when Grandma Asplund came walking in with Chase!! She had been practicing commanding Chase in all of his tricks and was so excited to show her class. They were all pretty dang excited when our big ole pup came trotting in! Lots of "ooooh's" and "ahhhh's"! He was such a good boy, too! Did everything he was supposed to, did not eat any of the children (hehe), a regular pro! And Kaiya was so proud! It was truly a special day for Kai and one that I am soooo happy that we got to share with her! Later that night when dad got home, Kai requested pizza and mini golf and we had a blast together as a family!
We are so proud of you, Kaiya-bear! You are doing amazing at school and have made so many friends and you continue to blossom into such a beautiful, confident, happy little girl! We love you!
(She is having a fun week this week -- it's Red Ribbon Week and every day they get to wear something different -- crazy socks, hats, boots, etc. She is loving it! This day was hat day!)
Speaking of Chase, I have to just say how much I love this pup of ours, although, he is definitely no longer a pup! I have been feeling awfully sentimental over this guy lately. He is aging and it's tough to watch. He's not anywhere near the end, I hope, but he's definitely slowing down a lot more and showing signs of things getting a little more stiff and slow. He has some minor hip issues (which for labs, can turn into life-threatening probs, so we're hoping that won't be the case) and he's starting to get some white under his chin. He is close to 50 now. I forget that sometimes. Dogs lives go by so much faster than ours. But the minute he sees a ball, or as soon as he hears the jingle of his leash, or the second the garage door starts to open, his tail is youthfully wagging like crazy and he'll run himself until he literally can't go another step! So, the energy and love of playing are still as much present as they were when he was a pup! And any chance he gets to spend with any of us, even just a quick stroke behind his ears or under his chin or belly, you can tell is where his happiness lies. How many of us can say we have a friend that is THAT good to us, even when we don't deserve it?! He is the most loyal, gentle giant I have ever known and I love him to death. We are living in a pretty hilly place and I have been attempting to get out and run a lot more. Chase is always my excited companion, but oh, you should see the pair of us when we get to the end of our run or to that last hill. That's when I get a bit sad. Our runs usually end with me (exhausted myself) dragging Chase for the last leg. He's so tired and I hope I'm not pushing him too hard. That's when I have a little dose of reality that this guy is not going to be here forever with our family. Think about what he has been through with us over the past 6 years!! I know a lot of people have never been able to fully understand our love affair with Chase and think it might be a bit ridiculous how we treat him like a member of our family. But I can honestly say that as crazy as it sounds, he is so much apart of our family and our lives that when that day does come for him to lay down and rest for good, it will be devastating for all of us. I can't hardly stand to think about it because it breaks my heart. And I won't even go there with what it will do to our kids! I adore my pup and I hope he's here for a lot longer, even if his run slows down a bit!
And speaking of running, I'll give mention here to my fun Grave's Disease. I have enjoyed a really good 6-8 months or so. I have felt well, and haven't really encountered too many hiccups from my condition. It's been really nice. But over the past few weeks, I have felt some of the crappy stuff starting to creep back in. I have been noticeably more tired. Exhausted, really. It's both sleep tired and lack-of-energy tired. I have felt a lot more of the muscle fatigue that I experienced early on when I was diagnosed. Exercising has become such a difficult thing and I'm incredibly frustrated. I was hopeful that I was in a bit of remission, but now I am feeling like it's time to head back to the doctor and get my blood work done all over again. Meds may need to be adjusted, but really, that is just prolonging the inevitable. I need to get my thyroid removed and I have been delaying it for as long as possible. I just really don't want to deal with surgery and the unknown of what side effects will arise after it's out. But I do feel very strongly that there is another babe to come to our family. I hope that is the case. And if I want to try for another pregnancy, I have to have the surgery done. Soooo, that is the scoop on that. I'm thinking I'll shoot for the first of the year to have surgery and then we'll go from there. I just hope I don't have to deal with feeling so yucky until then. I am so annoyed and frustrated with the whole thing. I just want to feel GOOD, ya know?
And speaking of feeling good, how 'bout the new Mumford and Sons album?!? Good gravy, that is seriously the most amazing album I've purchased in a long time! I am in love with pretty much every song!! Have you become a fan of these guys yet? If not, check them out -- they are true musicians and I kinda feel like you can't go wrong with British/Irish guys playing banjo's and mandolin's and such. (My mission made me a tad bit biased towards all things British!!) LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this music!!
Speaking of feeling GOOD again, I recently got called into Young Women's in my ward, working with the Laurels. (This means I get to work with the young girls, ages 16-18 in my church). I have to say, this is where my heart lies! I LOVE this calling so much! I feel a special attachment to these girls, as they are the same girls I worked with several years ago, only now they are 3-4 years older! They are so amazing and the challenges they face with school and pressures and peers and decisions to make -- they are wise beyond their years. Every Sunday and every Tuesday, I come home from being with them and I am strengthened, renewed, and genuinely happy. I love to laugh with them, to talk with them, to listen to them. They bring a spark and a youthfulness to my life that makes me feel so blessed! And I think about my own girls and how grateful I am that they have examples like these young women to look up to. I see these girls and I feel such hope for my own children, that even though life is difficult and the world is not always good, they can be strong, committed, honest, chaste, beautiful young women and be a light to those around them. Let's face it, my life is going to be full of all things GIRLS for a long, long time and I'm so happy for what I can learn from this calling and from these amazing young women I get to be around!
And speaking of young women...my sweet Grandma is moving to Utah! I am so, so excited about this! I have never lived particularly close to my Grandma, as she has spent her life in Idaho. However, now she is needing to be in an assisted living facility and so she is coming to live in a place just 20 minutes away! She is my last living grand-parent and I love her so very much! It will be such a special time to have so many opportunities to be with her and to learn from her and let my kids get to know her better! She's a special lady, I tell ya!
Ok, so there's some of the stuff happening in our lives! Soon to follow -- FALL, FALL, FALL! We have been trying to soak up every second of it, so there will be lots on that soon!






2 Comments:
Sounds busy! Your girls are so cute! I am sorry you are struggling with your health right now- that is so hard. We got a puppy 5 days ago- we had a terrible tragedy yesterday- the short version, cannon accidentally strangled him, pulling him by his collar and he died. It was horrific. Cooper is devastated and has missed school. It was one of the worst things I have been through.
Tell your parents hello.
I am so jealous that you are the Laurel adviser. Mitchell is the Young Mens President and in our ward that means that I don't get to be with the Youth because I get to stay home with the kids for Mutual nights. I hope once he is released I get to go back to Young Womens, it is amazing!!! I bet you are a fantastic leader. I am sorry that your graves disease is coming back. I hope that things get better soon or that you are able to get your surgery. I LOVE that they have a special day for the kids like that. Our school has a special week, but it really is nothing like you were able to do. So fun!!! They need that.
Post a Comment
<< Home