RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: One Heckuva Week

Monday, May 05, 2008

One Heckuva Week

Last week was good. No, last week was REALLY good! So good that I never found time to even talk about how good it was! So, I'll proceed to do that now, a week later!
First off, our best friends welcomed their little guy into the world early Tuesday morning! We could hardly wait to meet little Trevor, and he did not disappoint! Oh my goodness, this guy is beyond adorable! How quickly you forget what it's like to hold a brand new baby, when they are soooo snuggly and make those adorable squeaking noises and just seem to peaceful and quiet. It's almost like they don't quite belong in the world yet, because they are still so connected to heaven. I could not get enough of him, and need to go back to visit so I can get another fix of this sweet guy! Congrats to Ry and Ash! You done good! (sorry, I had to borrow the picture cause I was lame and forgot to take pics of my own!) Next up, we had the opportunity (and believe me, the priveledge was all ours) to go and present at an adoption meeting for couples who are wanting to adopt. We were asked to come and talk about our relationship with Jessika and our experience with an open adoption. It was such an interesting experience and such a WONDERFUL one. It was hard not to think back to our lives a little over a year ago, seeing ourselves sitting in the very chairs all of these people were sitting in, having the same questions and concerns and fears that they were all experiencing. And to be able to be on the other side of the fence now, having such a growth of knowledge and understanding of the adoption experience, was somewhat surreal. I was worried all week about how to go about talking about our story with Kaiya and Jessika, because I was so sensitive to the feelings that so many of those couples are experiencing. Their "other side of the fence" has not yet happened and my biggest fear was that we would make someone there feel sad that they were not in our shoes...yet. I know there were times when I sat in those meetings, wishing so bad that our chance would come. So, anyway, we said a lot of prayers that our message would come accross in a positive and helpful way and most importantly that we could give hope to those waiting. It was such a GREAT experience. We were able to share our tender feelings of Jessika, how our relationship grew and progressed throughout Jessika's pregnancy, and how it has continued to grow stronger since Kaiya's birth. We relived the emotions, the joy we have known being so close to Jessika and her family, and the blessing it has been for our family to have an open relationship with their family. We got A LOT of questions. And every one that was asked of us, I remember asking in my own mind when we were going through the adoption process. I realized it is really hard to explain our relationship with Jessika because until you are THERE in that experience, it is hard to understand. A lot of our own friends and family had their concerns as we spent more and more time with Jess and her family. I know it was because they just weren't IN the situation and couldn't get it and were genuinely worried about us. But, it was amazing to see the shift in that one single meeting, as we talked and shared and answered questions. It was almost as if some of the couples in that room were breathing a sigh of relief to know that open adoptions CAN work, CAN be amazing and rewarding and special, and aren't always something to be afraid of. That was our goal going into the presentation and I felt like we achieved that, at least with some of the people there. It was a special night for us and I feel so grateful that we got that opportunity!

Speaking of our relationship with Jessika and her family, that brings us to Saturday when we were able to go out and watch Jessika's little brother, Kendall, be baptized. Geesh, talk about another VERY special day! Not only was it amazing to see Kendall taking such a big and important step in his young life, but we were reunited with sooo many of Jessika's family and friends that we hadn't seen in awhile. We were so proud of Kendall and the decision he made and the efforts that it took for him to take such a big step. He is a very special guy!! It was seriously such an awesome day. We went back to Jess's house afterwards for a BBQ and just spent the day talking and laughing and enjoying the company of all of these wonderful people. We were able to meet some family that we hadn't met before and to see some familiar faces as well. It was so fun for everyone to see Kaiya, especially since a lot of them had not seen her since she was a brand new baby or had never seen her at all! I could not help but just feel overwhelmed by the amount of love that was present for our sweet girl. What a blessing it is that she has so many people who love her and care for her, and this will be such a source of happiness for her throughout her life. It truly is a blessing and a tender mercy from Heavenly Father. And it makes me feel so lucky. We could not have asked for a better day! As we made the long trek home, we couldn't stop talking about Jessika and her family and how much love we feel for them and how grateful we feel for the way they treat us. They welcome us, treat us like family, and have done so much for us. They are some of the most kind, generous, good people we have ever met.
We finished off the week by going to a baby blessing of some of our old neighbors and were able to see and talk to a lot of wonderful people from our old neighborhood and ward. We sure miss people there and it is always so nice to go back and visit!
What a wonderful week! And here we go on to another one!

10 Comments:

Blogger Richelle said...

What a great week.
I'm so glad you have had a great adoption experience. We have a girl in our ward who I just wish would give someone like you the privilege of adoption. But they have decided to keep the baby. I guess I can't judge them, but it would be so wonderful to see the baby go to a family that can be sealed in the temple, rather than stay with a very young mother that will have a hard time providing. I think about you! :)

6:29 PM  
Blogger Janessa Couch said...

I have three cousins that were adopted and a couple of people in my ward that have adopted children and none of their adoptions are open. I wonder how things would have changed if they were. It is so wonderful that you realized that it was important for you, your husband, Jessika and Kaiya. I think it is wonderful. I bet that you touched so many people when you spoke about adoption. You truly have touched me with your story!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Wow Karli, what a great week! You are such a wonderful example of so many things. I am grateful I know you, I feel well equiped with resources when I run into people going through adoption. I can just pass them on to yours and Carly's blog! :) Between the two of you and your contacts, there is a MOUNTAIN of information and inspiring stories of open adoption. Thank you for sharing your journey!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Cari said...

I can't believe I missed you guys Sunday! Give Kaiya a kiss for me!

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it. I love that all those that I have contact with have open adoptions and feel the same way I do. When I do presentations at High Schools it almost floors people how open we are. Elisa and Calli were over Friday night while Mike went to a movie with his brother. We were talking about how "normal" it feels and that it just seems that it has always been this way even though we never forget all that has happened to get to this point. I always tell people when they ask about opene adoption that they will know what is right for them when they meet the birth mother of their sweet baby. It all works out. I remember having those worries too. Wondering what was ok to say to Elisa and if I would ever "scare" her away. Apparently not. =) Adoption is SO personalized nowadays. That's what I love about it. Whatever suits you best. For me personally not just because I get to see Calli, but I can't imagine it any other way. Not being able to see Elisa especially and the rest of the families would be too hard. It helps me at least to heal so much "quicker" to see how well she is doing and how much she is loved. To interact with all these other families that have adopted and how much they love their children just gives me an over abundance of peace in my heart. I feel said and suffocated when I think about having my child taken away and never knowing anything again. The way I am that would make me NEVER be able to heal. It's great to talk about it but at the same time it is hard to explain what feels so "natural" and what is SO amazingly tender in your heart. Love Miss YA YA! OH she just gets cuter and cuter. Jess looks great!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Glad all is going well with you guys. Let me know when you're in town again. I'd love to meet up.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Allan and Diane said...

well first off--does Trevor look like his daddy or what. He's darling--give them our love. Why does it NOT surprise me that your adoption meeting went so well. You and Chris both have such compassion and a beautiful way of expressing it. And then Kaiya--wellllllllll. So glad the day with Jessika's family was so enjoyable.

5:01 AM  
Blogger Elisa said...

Sound lik a great week. I will have to side with you on the open adoption issue. I can't imagaine it any other way but, it is very hard to explaine to those who are not involved.

8:38 PM  
Blogger NAT said...

What a great week. I agree with what your parents said - I'm sure that you touched a lot of people during that meeting and expressed your feelings and the experience in such a special and touching way.

Kaiya is adorable and its neat to see pictures of her with Jessika and their family.

By the way, your hair looks like it's getting long. Are you growing it out?

12:39 PM  
Blogger Eve said...

That is neat that you got to go back and be on the other side of the panel. I have a hard time remembering just how hard it was when we couldn't get pregnant, it is nice that you can connect and be sensitive to couples who are still waiting for their turn. I'm sure they appreciated you.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones