RED GROVER, RED GROVER!: Powdered GOLD!

Monday, April 28, 2008

Powdered GOLD!

The subject for today may be of no interest and maybe even a little offensive to some, but trust me, it has been the topic of MUCH conversation around our house since Kaiya was born!
It's called POOP. (You can exit the conversation now, if you feel like you need to.)
I am pleased to be able to speak POSITIVELY on the subject today for the first time in 8 months. And all this positive pooping comes as a result of this bottle of pure GOLD!! Yes, we have found the cure for Kaiya's hard, hurtful, and oh so very unpleasant bowel movements (can you ever call bowel movements pleasant?!). MIRALAX = MIRACLE!

A little history on the subject: Kaiya has never enjoyed pooping. In fact, for the majority of her young life, pooping has been accompianied with blood-curtling screams and lots of pain. It has been torture for her and for us, but definitely more for her. We literally would wait nervously for an episode, which usually would entail her screaming like her arm had been cut off, coupled with a viciously red face and big alligator tears, and it would last a good 10 minutes for all to be said and done. And since we never knew when an episode would occur, there were several times that we got some pretty good looks from people who assumed that we were torturing our child! Like why aren't you doing anything to help your screaming child?! Oh, I'm so sorry, do you want me to strip off her diaper and give her a baby laxitive right here in front of the world?! It was so sad.

And the worst part about it was that we tried EVERYTHING and nothing seemed to ease the action! We had called the doctor, took her into the doctor, asked everyone we knew for advice, some gem that would fix things. We tried Karo syrup, various kinds of formulas, fruit juice, etc, etc, etc. Nothing worked. Finally, right around the time of her finalization, it was getting even worse (if that could be possible). She was pooping rocks! Smelly, little, very painful rocks! That was it. I took her in again, ready to have an all out mommy freak-out at the doctor if he couldn't help me somehow. And lo and behold, I met with one of his heaven-sent nurses and she gave me the cure. THE CURE!!

"Miralax" -- three syllables that would change our lives! I rushed to the store, anxious to try anything new that just might work! Within about 2 ounces of formula mixed with THE CURE, out came the goods, and what? No screaming?! No red face?! Not even ONE single tear?! Just the most horrible smell in the whole world and yet, it may as well have been roses I was smelling! I was sooo happy at the thought that Kaiya had just had a pain-free poop! I thought it must be a fluke, but the next day, easy, effortless poop again! And now, after a month or so of finding THE CURE, the only way I know Kaiya has pooped is when I get a whiff of her!l! And best of all, Kaiya is so much happier and not in pain!! It is such a miracle in our house!

My only complaint is WHY IN THE WORLD DID I NOT FIND OUT ABOUT THIS SOONER?! I am so bugged that with all the correspondence I had with the doctor's office on the subject, nobody ever mentioned this miracle until we had been through 8 months of torture!! So, I had to post this with the hope that there might be even one poor, lost mommy soul like mine who is looking for something, ANYTHING to help their poor babes poop! RUN to the store and buy this stuff! It is powdered GOLD! And thank you, angel nurse, for sharing such a treasure with me...FINALLY!

13 Comments:

Blogger RaEStoCo said...

I have been quietly watching your blog for a while (I'm Whitney's friend Rachel), but couldn't keep quiet any longer. That post just made me laugh. I doubt you ever thought you would be so happy about a dirty, smelly diaper! I'm glad she is such a happy camper.

4:51 PM  
Blogger NAT said...

Yea for pooping! It's one of the best feelings in the world. :) Hee hee. I've never heard of that stuff, but it's good to know it's out there. I'm so glad that Kaiya's doing better. Emma has been constipated lately, so we may just have to put that on our grocery list.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Mugs said...

I agree with Nat. There's nothing better than a good push. And now Kaiya can agree, too!!! I'm so glad you crossed paths with that nurse! Tender mercies, man. Even in the pooping dept.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Janessa Couch said...

My daughter had the same thing. She would scream and scream and I would have to massage her small tummy to help her out. She finally grew out of it, but I wish that I had this stuff to help her in the process. I will remember that if I ever hear of the problem again. YEAH FOR NURSES!

8:32 PM  
Blogger The Valentine Fam said...

Ah yes...Mir-a-lax! At our house, we talk poop A LOT! Lucas has been on it for over a year now! Unfortunately for him, it doesn't always work. The dr. had him on it 2 times a day for awhile. I have to agree...it sure has a distinct odor coming out the other end!! I'm so glad it's working for Kaiya.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Jared and Danielle said...

I love your blog you have got to be one of the most talented photographers I know! Also make sure you go easy on this stuff. The opposite problem sometimes brings acidic sores with it:( NOT FUN!

10:16 PM  
Blogger Sydney said...

Hooray!! But, for the future...remember that you have a pediatrician at your beckon call 24hrs/day...and she could have told you that a long time ago! Yippee for pain-free poops! PS-it was soooo good to finally talk to you!

6:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is what we used for Savannah for a LONG time. It was the first thing my doctor told me about. I just never knew you could use it on a baby as young as Kaiya

10:07 AM  
Blogger Jamie and Family said...

What a shocking hidden secret! Wow! Karli that is so great!!!

As a side note, can you believe HOW INCREDIBLEY stinky the little rock-poops can be? It never ceases to shock me.

So happy for you AND Kaiya!

6:38 PM  
Blogger Allan and Diane said...

ok, now this is really about the most disgusting blog topic and had I not witnessed the poor babe's torture I would not have read on. So VERY glad she is not in pain.

5:40 AM  
Blogger Rachael said...

Oh I can't imagine how hard the last 8 months have been. I bet she is just as excited about your find as you are! Good tip!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Kikilia said...

My Pipsqueak also had this problem when she came home from India. She would SCREAM and CRY and be miserable.

My pediatrician prescribed Miralax (before it became OTC) and it was indeed a miracle. She had to have it in her juice from about age 2 until age 4.

Now- we use it as needed. Isn't it great?

And thank goodness little Kaiya can now poop easily.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Jilly said...

After reading that post, you really could be a script writer for just about anything!!!

Btw, I'm Jill.. Chris know's who I am.. Or atleast he did. I hang out with Kristine, who is siblings with Jason Kemp.. who is husband to Mary Kemp.. who I once lived in the basement of their house. LoL :) AND one more thing.. Congrats on your beautiful family!!

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones