My Mother's Day thoughts
I echo the many sentiments that I have heard and read today on the love we all feel for our mothers. It is a special day, to pay tribute to the special women in our lives who have impacted us in such important ways.
First, I would be ungrateful if I didn't try to express the INEXPRESSABLE love that I feel for my own mother. She is the strongest, most positive, optimistic person I know. She makes lemonade out of lemons and happily adapts and makes do in ANY situation she is faced with. She doesn't just endure life, she ENJOYS life and has a way of spreading her happiness to all those she comes in contact with. The fact that she has figured out how to make tacos and chicken cordon bleu all the way over in India and that she found a way to make homemade pies in China shows the kind of determination she has to make life happy wherever she is. I have watched her in how she loves her children, how she ADORES her grandchildren, and how she honors and supports my father and she has always given me the template on how to live my life. I miss her so much these days. I sometimes wish I could just go to lunch with her, or sit and talk and laugh, or watch her sing songs to Kaiya. But my own selfish feelings aside, I am sooo proud of her and the work she is doing in India. Each week is full of adventures and each week I am so touched to hear about the service she has provided to various people in many different ways. I could not have dreamed of a better woman to be my mother and I am so lucky to be her daugher. I love you so much, today and every day, mom.
I also would feel very ungrateful if I didn't try to express the INEXPRESSABLE love that I have for Jessika. I thought about her so much today, and hoped that it was not a hard day for her. To me, she epitomizes the most perfect quality a mother could ever possess and that is selflessness. As a mother, she knew she was not ready to give Kaiya what she wanted Kaiya to have, and so she sacrificed all of her own heart-wrenching emotions to place Kaiya with us. She did that for Kaiya and she will always be my example of what it means to truly love your child. To love them enough that you would sacrifice all for their happiness. I love Jessika so much not just for what she has given us, not just for the amazing and beautiful person that she is inside and out, but because of how she showed a true mother's love for Kaiya in doing all that she has done for her. I love her because she loves Kaiya THAT much.
And finally, I have to express some of my own personal feelings on this, my first Mother's Day. In all honesty, for me, today was not so much about having a "day off" to be spoiled. (Though, the breakfast in bed, the delicious dinner, the sweet gifts and flowers were just perfect, Chris, and I appreciate everything sooo much. And well, it would have been rude of me NOT to accept such kind gestures from my amazing honey, right?!) But what today was more for me, was this overwhelming feeling of complete gratitude and humility that I GET to be Kaiya's mom. I don't understand how I ever got so lucky. I will never feel deserving enough of this precious presence that has filled up my life. I will never feel completely adequate to fill such an important role in her life as being her mother. But I feel so priveleged that Heavenly Father has given me this blessing and this opportunity. As I was talking to my mom tonight on the phone, she said "well, I bet today feels a lot different than the past Mother's Days you have experienced". I thought about that and I remember back to the Mother's Day's that were so hard for me. That aching to have my own dreams of being a mother fulfilled. Trying to hide how difficult Mother's Day actually was for me. And my mom was right. Today feels polar opposite to those days. But I gently tread on these words I write because I remember clearly how those days felt and I feel so humbled to be in different shoes today. I know it is by no act of my own, but by the tender mercies and miracles of a loving Father who heard my countless prayers and who had a plan for my life all along, but needed me to be a little patient. And today I root so hard for those mothers (because they really are mothers) who are waiting and experiencing that aching. I get it. I know how it feels. And I can't help but believe that if it could happen to me, it can and will happen for you.
So, anyway, I guess today isn't so much about what I think I deserve for the hours I clock in being a mother or the number of diapers I change. It's sooo much more about how GRATEFUL I feel to be a mother...finally. How humbling it is to wear these "mommy" shoes. And how blessed I am that I have the most beautiful, sweet little face to look at and call my own. I feel sooo lucky to be called Mother today...finally.
Happy Mother's Day to you all!
Happy Mother's Day to you all!(And to Chris, thank you from the bottom of my heart for making this first Mother's Day so special for me. You always do so much to make me feel special, and I love you and appreciate how you love me.)





15 Comments:
Thank you Karli for sending this tender Mother's Day message around the world to bring a BIG ray of sunshine into my life. There is an advantage to being so far away--I get to ready your touching words more often. Hail to Jessika also for making YOU perhaps the HAPPIEST mother in 2008!!
You deserve every motherly blessing that comes your way. You are amazing, Kar! Being a mother is a journey and I'm go glad you have Kaiya to experience it all with. Happy Mother's Day!!
You have a special way of expressing your feelings. We, as your readers, truly can feel the love pouring through the computer screen. I am so glad that you were able to experience your first true Mothers Day. I have always felt for the Mothers that did not have that joy on that day. What a special tribute to your special "Mothers".
What a wonderful first Mother's Day Karli, you really have a way with words. You hit all angles of that day, beautiful!
I love that Chris! He is a goooooooooood man. Beautiful mom, you are Karli. Oh. That sounded like Yoda. Oh well, I'm keeping it.
Congratulations on your first Mother's Day! It is a awesome feeling, that of motherhood. It doesn't matter how we get there, either, cause we love our babies! You are such a darling mom, and your girl is equally darling. Sure do love you, Kar. Keep up the good work!
Happy Mother's Day to you yesterday too!
Thank you for the beautiful mother's day message. I wish I could echo all those beautiful words, but I am not as eloquent. Happy Mother's day!
Karli, that was beautiful! Congratulations on your first official Mother's Day!
Hope you were feeling a little better for your 1st "official" Mother's Day. Thank you for sharing those beautiful words and for helping me put my own thoughts into perspective. I have been struggling lately and needed some inspiration!
Kar, I'm so glad that you had such a wonderful mother's day... You so deserved it! Thanks for reminding me through your post how special mother's day really is. I too feel so blessed to be a mom, especially lately as we have welcomed our sweet baby boy to the world.
Great to talk to you yesterday, and I can't wait to see you this week. Love ya!
What a sweet post. It made me all teary. Such special tributes to all of the wonderful mothers in your life, including yourself. You are such a good Mom, Karli, and you deserve all of this happiness. Your husband is amazing and I'm so glad that he made it such a special day for you.
Sweet, sweet Kaiya. Someday I hope she will know and understand how much she is loved.
Your blog is definitely a place you are able to share one of your many talents - and that is writing/expressing feelings. Beautiful thoughts!!
Another beautiful post. You have such a gift for expressing your feelings. I am SO happy for you on this mother's day!
KARLI HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH. I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU.YOU ARE THE BEST MOM TO BABY KAIYA. JESSIKA DID THE RIGHT THING FOR KAIYA SHE HAS A MOM AND DAD THAT LOVE HER SO MUCH. THANK YOU .LOVE MELANIE (JESSIKA MOM) GMS.
Post a Comment
<< Home